help evaluating rebuilt 327 - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 08, 08:51 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Chris

help evaluating rebuilt 327

Just looking for a little help identifying components on a 327 I just got that was "recently rebuilt". The person I bought it from did not do the build but is a reputable mechanic and assured me it was just rebuilt. It was running when he got it.
I took the oil pan and valve covers off to take inventory of what I have:
  • bottom of pistons: 1423 with 84 under that
  • oil pump: H55HV (other numbers: 354, 29)
can someone tell me what pistons these are (I think KB) and if you can tell how large the cylinders were bored with this info?

He put in a Summit cam (SUM-1102) and Summit roller tip rockers (SUM-141506) before he sent it to me.

Just looking for some reassurance I have a decent motor. No, I don't have the camel hump heads.

I already ran the VIN and determined it's a 69 210 HP

VIN 19N503378 V082227FK

Thanks for any help

Chris
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

72 Camaro RS/SS, 383, Dart Heads

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Bucco47; Aug 24th, 08 at 08:51 AM. Reason: goof
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 08, 04:40 AM

Thumbs up Re: help evaluating rebuilt 327

Will get back tonight after work.

pdq67

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 08, 05:46 AM
Senior Tech
Shawn

Re: help evaluating rebuilt 327

doing a quick search they are silvolite pistons

im not sure how exactly they do the part numbers on the piston, but they look like they are standard bore

the oil pump is a melling high volume pump, i have an older style on my engine, but i have heard that the new ones have some problems due to cheapened parts and can break.. im not sure if they ever fixed the problem, but i would look into it if it is a brand new oil pump

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 08, 03:55 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Chris

cool, thanks!

so by "standard bore" you mean 30-over, right?

Chris

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 08, 04:19 PM

No, 4.00" dia. pistons are stock.

Make sure you get the CR. up to like 9.75 to 1 by installing either .015" or .020" thick, shim headgaskets and 64 cc chamber, medium or big valve double-hump heads, a true high-rise intake like a Holley PN 300-36 along w/ a tuned Holley, PN 1850, 600 cfm 4-barrel, a 268/270/272 hy-cam and a cheap set of 1.625" dia., 4-tube, long headers and she will run like a "scalded-dog"!!!

Old school all the way and note, nothing fancy at all here.

pdq67

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 08, 06:03 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Chris

Thanks, I'll se what I can do (afford). I wasn't planning on making any more changes.

forgive my ignorance, but how can these be standard "stock" bore if it's a rebuild? Wouldn't they have had to bore it out to some degree in the process, thus requiring larger diameter pistons?

Chris

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 08, 06:37 PM
Senior Tech
Chad

If the bores were round and didnt have much wear it could have been done without boring.

67 Plum Mist Met. 408 TH350 3.08 posi

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 08, 10:52 PM
SY1
Senior Tech
Dave

The old Mellings M55 series pumps were our favorite performance pumps. However Mellings lightened the castings sometime in the late 90s I believe. Some have claimed these pumps have cracked at the neck that runs from the main pump body to the mounting surface on the main cap. Most I've heard from were using solid motor mounts when they broke their pumps. I can tell you I spoke first hand with Mellings about this and was told the new weaker casting carry the same part numbers that we used to use in our performance builds are NOT intended to be used for performance engines. This was a direct quote from Mellings. That means the new M55 series pumps are not suitable for a performance engine according to the manufacturer of the pump. Mellings told me to instead go with the Mellings Select Series. There are 7 or 8 or more of these part number pumps out now. I went with the 10552, it is 10% high volume which I didn't necessarily need, but wanted the advantage of the bolt on oil pickup screen and this was the lowest volume pump in the Select series to have that feature. These pumps have steel gears that are pinned to the shafts not just pressed on, locating dowles in the pump body lid for both shafts, Mag phosphate coating, reduced clearance to prevent spark scatter of the distributor and many other special features.

Your build may be fine with the weaker casting, but if it was me and I had it torn down to this level I'd change the pump and order one with a bolt on pump screen. Summit can help you determine what length pick up you need based on your oil pan depth. Also I'd avoid the Moroso blueprinted series of SBC pumps until Moroso comes clean and responds to the questions many have asked them regarding did they mistakenly use the weaker casting pump in their blueprint series? To date they refuse to answer or respond to this question which is not typical of Moroso. They have always been responsive in the past. Which makes me believe they put out some pumps that are not suitable for performance use without knowing it.

"..............what, and get out of aviation??"
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 08, 06:02 PM

Dave's right about the oil pump, BUT I have at least two, 30+ y/o oil pumps that are going back in service b/c there wasn't anything wrong w/ them when I quit using them!!

pdq67

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 08, 08:01 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Chris

Thanks for the advice guys!

Chris

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 08, 08:08 PM
Senior Tech
Shawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdq67 View Post
Dave's right about the oil pump, BUT I have at least two, 30+ y/o oil pumps that are going back in service b/c there wasn't anything wrong w/ them when I quit using them!!

pdq67
yup, i have one that is probably 30+ years old and is great and still works fine

i at know it is at LEAST 14 years old, as i dont know when the engine was built.. but all of the parts on the engine are older (67-68 z28 pistons, crank, block, etc)
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 08, 08:13 PM
SY1
Senior Tech
Dave

Paul I'm with you on this! The 331 I built 7 or 8 years ago I used an oil pump from one of my brothers 302 race motors. The pump was probably purchased around 82 or 83, so it was approaching 20 years. I opened it, inspected it, dressed the chamfer on the gears a little more, got the end play down on the gears to lid, put a new spring in it, new pick up and it worked great. There's not a lot to go wrong if it all checks out okay.

I'm just so disappointed in Mellings and don't get me started on Moroso. Mellings did us a real injustice when they carried the old part numbers over to the new weaker cast pump bodies. There are still a lot of guys buying these today thinking they are purchasing a quality product. Most don't know of the Select series yet.

"..............what, and get out of aviation??"
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 08, 08:01 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

You can also get a rebuild kit (part # K-55 if I remember right) if the gears need to be replaced and you don't want to part with your old style pump. The high volume pumps have taller gears.

Just make sure you don't end up with a kit that some yahoo put his old gears back in the box and returned it for a refund...

Mark

68 327 4-speed 3.42 posi and a sunroof

best so far... 13.25 at 106mph

78 Firebird 350/T350 3.23 posi
65 Mustang convert. 6 cyl. 3-speed
66 Mustang coupe 6 cyl. auto
80 Chevy C10 406 4-speed

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 08, 11:01 AM
Team Member
John

Here's what the "weak" Melling pump looks like - note the diagonal ribs from the gear section to the mounting flange.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MellingWeakPump.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	7715  

JohnZ
CRG
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 08, 06:15 PM

I bet if the REAL story was known, that GM asked for a price reduction not worrying about longevity b/c they were effectively going to obsolete our old engines anyway and Melling wanted the business and did so not worrying or carrying whether our old obsolete engines would last and still be around or not!!

And this is the result!!

What better way to get rid of the old engines FASTER!!!

pdq67

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode