New Fuel Pump Won't Work, Help,, Help.. - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 08, 02:07 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dale

New Fuel Pump Won't Work, Help,, Help..

Hi All.. Well I'm still trying to get this 1974 455 to run in my 68 bird.. I tried to start it this time and the old mechanical fuel pump did not pump up gas,, so I bought a new one,, and it won't pump gas either ,, the gas will come up to the pump it seems, because I took the new one back off and a little gas dribbled out of the pump.. I disconnected the fuel line at the gas tank and I got an eye full... ... last year the old pump would shoot gas out all over the place,, this year nothing, what could have happened to the old pump from last year,??.. and why will the new fuel pump not work like it's suppose to../??... I hope you guys can help,, it's still a Gm motor,, Thanks..

When You Turn Your Car On,, Does It Return The Favor,??.. NO!.. Butt,, I hope to Change That Soon..
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 08, 03:05 PM
Banned
Ron

Re: New Fuel Pump Won't Work, Help,, Help..

There appears to be a restriction somewhere!.....You probably got a piece of "firebird poop" clogging up the fuel line!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 08, 03:18 PM
Senior Tech
Tom

I agree, there is probably a restriction somewhere. If you have had the lines open for a while something like a dirt dauber could have plugged the line. Or you may have a restriction caused by one of the following, a restricted in tank fuel strainer, a deteriorated rubber line that has internally collapsed, a kinked hose or bent metal line. I would take the line at the tank and blow air through it. If it is free there, you probably have a stopped up fuel strainer in the tank. Or I guess you could just have 2 defective pumps, but I doubt it. Have you checked to make sure that there is plenty of gas? I'm not trying to be wise, but we all forget things sometimes.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 08, 03:24 PM
Senior Tech
AJ

probably just debris in the line but you could have wiped the fuel pump lobe on the cam...
I'm assuming you got the rod in place where it needs to be.
I don't know much about Pontiac's but on some Chevy's you can put a bolt in the block to hold the fuel rod in place to make it easier to install... if you did this, did you remove it?

The only Mustang I'd ever own is a Fender.

'68 333" Camaro
'14 5.0 Mustang
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 08, 07:25 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dale

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace's68 View Post
probably just debris in the line but you could have wiped the fuel pump lobe on the cam...
I'm assuming you got the rod in place where it needs to be.
I don't know much about Pontiac's but on some Chevy's you can put a bolt in the block to hold the fuel rod in place to make it easier to install... if you did this, did you remove it?
Thats what I'm worried about,, when I took the old fuel pump off there was no rod... the pump was working fine months ago... I don't think pontiac motors use a rod like csb,, but I'm not for sure.. I'm afraid it might be something up inside like a cam got wiped.. or placement of the pump arm might not be in the right place... when I moved the old pump arm I could hear air pressure coming out the hole where the fuel is suppose to come out of.. I guess I'll try and find a pontiac motor diagrahm and see if I can figure that part out... I suppose the fuel line might be partially clogged, or the tank strainer might be the culprit... anybody got any thoughts or ideas will be greatly appreciated... Thanks

When You Turn Your Car On,, Does It Return The Favor,??.. NO!.. Butt,, I hope to Change That Soon..
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 08, 04:42 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Pontiac pumps use an arm and eccentric cam.
Disconnect the inlet fuel line from the pump and blow into the tank to prime all the fuel line up to the pump first.

Next, disconnect the outlet at pump and blow into it. If fuel level is low enough, the needle(s) should be open and allow blow-through. If not, then fuel level is high or needle(s) are stuck closed from dried gasoline. Smack carb body with a rubber hammer.

Pour gas through carb bowl vents and start engine. By the time fuel pump primes itself and fills supply line, it should start filling carb.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 08, 06:01 AM
Senior Tech
Kyle

well if it is the worst case .. and your lobe is wiped you can always just run an electric pump instead they arent that difficult to hook up ...its a much easier option than replacing the cam thats for sure

1969 Z/28 CLONE 350
4 SPD MUNCIE,
4 WHEEL DISK BRAKES,
4:11 POSI
BLUE W/WHITE STRIPES

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 08, 08:11 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett#2390 View Post
Pontiac pumps use an arm and eccentric cam.
Disconnect the inlet fuel line from the pump and blow into the tank to prime all the fuel line up to the pump first.

Next, disconnect the outlet at pump and blow into it. If fuel level is low enough, the needle(s) should be open and allow blow-through. If not, then fuel level is high or needle(s) are stuck closed from dried gasoline. Smack carb body with a rubber hammer.

Pour gas through carb bowl vents and start engine. By the time fuel pump primes itself and fills supply line, it should start filling carb.

Everett is correct, these Ponchos use a fuel pump eccentric , bolted to the cam gear. Sometimes the bolt gets loose and allows the eccentric to strip the "tab" off the eccentric. Long fuel pump arm rides on eccentric. You have to pull timing cover to get to this, not a biggie but while you are at it, replace the timing gear and chain. You may still have the plastic tooth cam gear.

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode