Plug Wires Recommendations! - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 08, 09:09 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ryan

Plug Wires Recommendations!

The current plug wires on my car are unsightly and I plan on replacing at the same time I replace the distributor. I would prefer plain black colored wires in order to give the engine compartment a cleaner look. It seems the black color requirement may limit my selection but I am looking for something that blends in instead of standing out like the yellow Accel wires that are currently on the car. Any brand or type preferences? I have purchased a MSD ready-to-run distributor and I am not sure what type of plug wires to get HEI or the Points type? I see some manufacturers list "Socket", is that the same as the points type? I believe the cap has the HEI terminals but want to confirm with others before I order a set. Straight or 90 for the plugs? I have noticed they have over the valve covers and below the header kits. The below the headers sound interesting to me and I would prefer the look but do not know how you would run plug wires under the headers without them contacting either the header or the block and burning the wires. I currently have ram horn style manifolds but I am going to switch to Thorley Tri-Y headers during the rebuild of the car. Anyone have experience with the under the header plug wires that can offer tips or their experiences? Are the cut to length kits accurate as far as length for either route or am I better off getting a universal kit?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 08, 06:16 AM
Senior Tech
David

Re: Plug Wires Recommendations!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishin4info View Post
The current plug wires on my car are unsightly and I plan on replacing at the same time I replace the distributor. I would prefer plain black colored wires in order to give the engine compartment a cleaner look. It seems the black color requirement may limit my selection but I am looking for something that blends in instead of standing out like the yellow Accel wires that are currently on the car. Any brand or type preferences? I have purchased a MSD ready-to-run distributor and I am not sure what type of plug wires to get HEI or the Points type? I see some manufacturers list "Socket", is that the same as the points type? I believe the cap has the HEI terminals but want to confirm with others before I order a set. Straight or 90 for the plugs? I have noticed they have over the valve covers and below the header kits. The below the headers sound interesting to me and I would prefer the look but do not know how you would run plug wires under the headers without them contacting either the header or the block and burning the wires. I currently have ram horn style manifolds but I am going to switch to Thorley Tri-Y headers during the rebuild of the car. Anyone have experience with the under the header plug wires that can offer tips or their experiences? Are the cut to length kits accurate as far as length for either route or am I better off getting a universal kit?
The HEI distributor will have ""male" terminals on the cap.The standard distributor cap will have "female" terminals or "sockets that the wires will plug into.

I have Moroso's under the header plug wires on my BBC. I found the simplest way to keep the headers from contacting the headers or block is to secure them together using small cable ties. I worked the "slack" back toward the distributor as I grouped the wires together with the cable ties. The Morosos plug wires that I bought are made specifically for under the header and were already terminated on both ends. Wire length is excellent. Here is what they look like...................................

"All I need is a fast machine". Steve McQueen
My Machine: 1969 Pro Street Camaro
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

468 CID 661 Horsepower
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Turbo 400
33"x19.50" Mickey Thompsons

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 08, 06:58 AM
Senior Tech
Charlie

I run LiveWires by Performance Distributors, the same guys that make the "DUI" distributors. They are very nice. They look very similar to David's wires. They come in 5 different colors. Here is a link to their website. I run the over the valve cover pieces. They run $99.00.
http://www.performancedistributors.com/livewire.htm

They also offer these awesome wire looms. They are bolt together. Much like the ones that come in the Hydratech Hydroboost for separating the lines. Scroll a little further down on the link I provided and you will see the separaters. They are great and you don't have to worry about them melting.

Charlie Knudsen 67 Camaro RS/SS 350 TKO 600, 4.10's, AFR 195 Street Heads, Comp 270H, Rhoads Lifters, Crane Ignition, Pertronix Dizzy, Performer RPM Q-Jet, Heavily Modified Q-Jet, Hooker Comp Headers, MagnaFlow 2 1/2", 144 Decibles(Alpine CDA-7998 Head Unit, RF X7 and RF 750X Amps, MB Quart Mid's & High's, Kicker L7 12" Solo Barics)

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 08, 09:03 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ryan

Thanks David, the MSD does have the male terminals so I will order the HEI terminals. It looks like 90 degree terminals on both ends. I do like the look of the wires under the headers and am more than likely going that route if others are not having problems with burnt wires. The Thorleys I bought are ceramic coated so that may help with the heat some.

Charlie those seperators look nice but I would be afraid that the aluminum could transfer the spark to another wire.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 08, 09:06 AM
Lifetime Gold Member
Drew

I have Taylors on my car black wires and boots.

http://www.taylorvertex.com/Products.../SparkPlugSets

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 08, 09:08 AM
Senior Tech
Charlie

Not with the insulation of the "new" wires. The transfer of spark is a thing of the past, IMO. I have never heard of anyone having that issue anymore. On GM engine, the way their firing order is, the usual suspect is with the #5 and #7 wires since they are right next to each other and they fire one after the other. I run my #5 and #7 wires in the same separator and I have no issues at all. The newer style wires and their insulation have made that issue non existant.

Charlie Knudsen 67 Camaro RS/SS 350 TKO 600, 4.10's, AFR 195 Street Heads, Comp 270H, Rhoads Lifters, Crane Ignition, Pertronix Dizzy, Performer RPM Q-Jet, Heavily Modified Q-Jet, Hooker Comp Headers, MagnaFlow 2 1/2", 144 Decibles(Alpine CDA-7998 Head Unit, RF X7 and RF 750X Amps, MB Quart Mid's & High's, Kicker L7 12" Solo Barics)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode