cam question for pdq67 ? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 08, 07:28 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Bill

cam question for pdq67 ?

I know you are very fond of the GM 30-30, #346 cam used in the 327 / 365 horse Vette engine. I know you are also very fond of the Elgin 30-30 cam #E-1133. The Elgin cam has all the same specs as the GM cam except for the lobe centers. The Vette cam is 114 degrees while the Elgin cam is 109 degrees. Keeping everything on the engine the same, what will the performance difference be with the Elgin cam? Is the idle rougher, is the vacuum much lower, what about the engine torque operating range?
Thank you,
Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 08, 11:57 PM
Senior Tech
Ron

Re: cam question for pdq67 ?

pdq67 were are you - LOL

The 114 LSA will deliver a much broader torque range and very suitable for Standard Transmissions and Road Racing where clutch feathering is important and Marine use. The 109 LSA will rev a little higher with less torque on the bottom to mid range and should peak with slightly more Hp, more suitable for Automatics on the street or 4 speeds at the Strip.

I personally love a 112 LSA with a 4 Spd and would tend to think a 114 LSA nearing Blower Specs or Off Road, but then you got to consider ramp and lift.

The bark of a 112 or 114 LSA cam has one sweet note.

Z15CAM - There was a Viper in my Rear View
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

This was my 70 1/2 Z28

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Z15CAM; Aug 27th, 08 at 12:55 AM.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 08, 06:25 PM

He, He!!

I was in bed last night at this time!

Anyway, right and GENERALLY!

A wider LCA = a lower o/a power peak and higher on both ends on the rpm scale for a longer usable power rpm range!

Narrower LCA = a higher peak power point, but lower on both ends on the rpm scale for a shorter usable power rpm range!!

Please consider these two cams!

The old 30-30 at

254/254, 114/112, .455" net lift solid lifter stock cam and

Isky's old Z-30 spec'd;

250/250, 108/108, .455" net lift!!

Imho, the old 30-30 is a great wide power producer in a 375hp/327 FI engine BUT the Z-30, due to it's narrower LCA is better b/c it will still pull way up there and the midrange t is higher!!

pdq67

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 08, 07:44 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Bill

How will this affect the useable vacuum the engine will produce? I am trying to learn and understand the basics of selecting a cam for a car engine. When I worked in the business world in the engineering room I used cams (eccentrics) all the time to actuate and transfer mechanical movement. The difference in the engine are the many dynamics that are occuring when the engine runs through its entire RPM range. The equipment I worked with generally operated at a constant speed and only moved various component parts of the machinery. Vacuum and RPM were a non issue in my cam designs.
Bill
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 08, 04:26 PM

I don't have any real experience, but I figure anything past 111/111 will be fine and that is why the old 30-30 cam is 114/112.

If you really dig into cam cat's through the years, the bigger cams were usually 112/108 to 114/110 to 116/112 b/c of what you are talking about!

I think history will bear me out here when I say that I think Isky revolutionized the industry when they came out w/ their 108/108 Mega cams for STREET use b/c prior to that time, their cams were like 112/108 b/c of vacuum, but you can leave so much power on the table..

Check their 270-HL vs the 270 Mega and you will see what i mean.

pdq67

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode