Fuel Plan - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 08, 02:23 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member

Fuel Plan

Please give me feedback and let me know if you think I am in the right direction before I place my order next week with Rick's...

My motor is Gilbert Chevy Super Street 502. This is about 625HP and has a 950 carb. Bare with me here – everything that I am doing is for the first time… My plan is…

Rick's tank with a Walbro GSS340 in-tank fuel pump. Tank will give me 2 each -6 nipples. Plan to run -8 from the output to an Aeromotive 13301 Universal Bypass Fuel Regulator (recommended by Ricks). The Regulator has one inlet, three outlets and one return port on the bottom. I will take the return back to the tank using another -8 line. I have a Proform 950 which is duel inlet. I will exit the regulator to a pressure gauge and come off the gauge to the two carb inlets.

Any issues with this???

Clean 67 - 600hp / 579ft lb, 502
St Petersburg, FL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 08, 06:23 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Re: Fuel Plan

Why not plumb this regulator in , after the carb, then return to fuel tank. I see some fuel logs that have the regulator at the end of the log, bypassing to line into tank. This way you don't have to dead head fuel pump.

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 08, 06:41 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccomas;1054882Aeromotive 13301 Universal Bypass Fuel Regulator (recommended by Ricks). The Regulator has one inlet, three outlets and one return port on the bottom. I will take the return back to the tank using another -8 line.
[FONT=Times New Roman
Any issues with this???[/FONT]
It sounds right to me.
Wish the tank came wih -8.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 08, 08:04 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member

i thought this was a return system. i do not want a dead head system. guess i need to do some more reading on my plumbing...

St Petersburg, FL
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 08, 09:11 PM
Senior Tech
Ed

I thought the Rick's tanks came with -8AN (1/2") sized fittings on them?

Ed

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 08, 09:59 PM
Senior Tech
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccomas View Post
The Regulator has one inlet, three outlets and one return port on the bottom. I will take the return back to the tank using another -8 line. I have a Proform 950 which is duel inlet. I will exit the regulator to a pressure gauge and come off the gauge to the two carb inlets.[/FONT]

Any issues with this???
This is not deadheading if you are using the return back to the tank. Sounds good to me as long as the pump will keep up. I dont know anything about that pump but sounds like a nice set up.

67 R/S convertible Nantucket blue deluxe interior orig.

67 rs-ss coupe 565BB-400turbo streetcar/racer project 1.43 60ft 9.683 140.91

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 08, 10:38 PM
Senior Tech
Todd

It's your lucky day. I am re plumbing my system right now after some issues dead heading a Holley Hp 150 pump. I have been researching the hell out of this. I have switched to a return system and am modifying my tank currently. I have a Ricks Tank. Your vent and return lines need to be equal or larger than your feed line. I would got with three 1/2 npt or 10AN fittings so you can easily increase your fuel line size if you add more power later. (Assuming your pump can supply enough)You can easily adapt to 8 an for the time being. When it comes to returning fuel, Ricks told me to return to the bottom of the tank. From my research and talking to mallory, holley, and aeromotive you need to return to the top of the tank. Also your fuel pressure gauge really should be mounted off the engine if possible. The liquied filled gauges especially become inaccurate as the engine gets hot. I have my regulator mounted on the frame. 6an is to small for your engine. Find out how many gallons per hour your pump flows. Minimum of 140gph at 7 psi.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 08, 11:05 PM
Senior Tech
Andy

I will second what he said about the liquid filled guages. I had one mounted on my cowl under the rear of scoop and it changed constantly depending on temp. I now have 2 of them sitting on the shelf. As far as how to mount guage really depends on where you want it. You can buy a fitting with a 1/8 npt in it to run off of and put it in one of the fuel lines going to the carb. If you mount the guage inside the car you need a isolator so your not feeding gas into the inside of the car. Or the A1000 regulator has a 1/8 fitting built into it. Also the A1000 has a 10an inlet in case you want to up the fuel system on down the road.

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 08, 08:11 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member

Please keep feedback coming. I am researching 3 issues with the tank. 1) fuel pump output, 2) fitting size, and 3) return location

This is the formula I got from the car craft web site. 2 (flywheel hp x brake-specific fuel consumption (BSFC) / 6) = gph. Using this with my 625HP, I came up with a consumption rate of 104 gph. This works to about 406 liters per hour. Is it really realistic to state that I need a pump that pumps 406LPH? The guy at Ricks is telling me that the Walbro GSS340 (it pumps 255LPH) will be fine. I want to get this right first time around. I am also going to get back to them in regard to the vent, exit and return fittings being set up for -8 vs -6. As for the return, I got to believe that that if these guys are building tanks for a living, they understand that the return should be as far away from the pickup as possible to prevent the returning fuel from disturbing suction.

St Petersburg, FL
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 08, 04:48 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member

As stated above, I am doing an in-tank pump. It seems that in-tank pumps are for EFI which requires lots more pressure. The pump that is being recommended to me by Ricks, pumps about 255 LPH (about 67 gal) but this is at higher pressure (around 40 PSI). As pressure goes down, flow goes up???? If I am at 7 or so PSI (what I need for my carbíed 502) does the flow go way up? Again, my calculations have my requirement at about 107 GPH but all of the in-tank pumps seem to put out about 67 GPH (again, at a much higher PSI)

Need someone to ring in here and lay this out for me.

St Petersburg, FL
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 08, 04:20 PM
Senior Tech
Todd

Less pressure=more volume Take a look at the graphs from mallory. I am running the 140 pump.http://www.malloryperformance.com/pd...m_Products.pdf Looks like you just need to get the correct regulator that can handle that high pressure and get you down to 6-7 psi. Mallory lists a couple. Judging by the quick glance you should be close to having enough fuel. Still would want 8 an minimum for the volume.

Last edited by Vegas69; Sep 1st, 08 at 04:36 PM.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 08, 09:03 PM
Senior Tech
Andy

I would call Aeromotive and tell them your plans. Since you are planning on running one of there Regs. they shouldnt mind. I run a A1000 and they use it for carb or FI so I dont think it will matter as long as the reg works.
913-647-7300 I think Brent is the tech I usually deal with.

post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 08, 07:40 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member

going to close this post out and re group. i can NOT find an in-tank pump that pumps more than about 70gph; also can not get anyone to come on line with feedback on a carb'ed motor (600+ hp) and an in-tank pump. there is just no good place to put an external pump under my car. i may stay with a Rick's tank and get it notched out to give a bit of extra room for an external pump. i know guys are hanging external pumps all day long but they all seem to hang a bit low and get in the way>>>

St Petersburg, FL
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 08, 08:35 PM
Senior Tech
Andy

Dont give up! My motor has over 600hp and I am running the A1000 and it can be installed in the tank if need be. Also Aeomotive has been working on a in tank system check out this page and give them a call!

http://www.aeromotiveinc.com/products.php?prod=267

Andy

post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 08, 01:56 AM
Senior Tech
Todd

Looked like the pump you described had plenty of gph at 7 psi to me. You can run a external pump on the front of the tank like I am as well. You can weld a bracket on or use the tank straps, trunk, etc. That is the only place to put an external pump on these cars.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode