Starter Madness - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 08, 03:16 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Starter Madness

I have a starter question. Mine is giving me major problems. I have a 68 with a 454.
I have a mini-torque (Hitachi) starter (actually 2 of them). I am getting a lot of screetching that isnt good as we all know. I have shimmed till the cows come home. Small shims, big shims, half shims etc. No teeth missing on the flywheel. I have lined up the bendex gear by puling it out and checking it with no problems and it doest stick or catch BUT it still screetches when you turn the motor over. It chews up the gear and I have replaced 2. I also have tried another starter of the same kind (mini-torque Hitachi) but no luck HERE IS THE KICKER... IF i disconnect the coil and start it with no load it turns over just fine, time after time no screetching, but as soon as you reconnect it and there is a load on it it screetchs...I cant figure it out

68 Camaro RS/SS, 454 BBC,TH400,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 08, 11:03 PM
Senior Tech

Re: Starter Madness

the simple answer would be to put a toggle switch inline on the ignition wire- get the motor cranking, and flip the switch to fire it off..

you don't plan sincerity.
you have to make it up on the spot.

wanna hear about 20 years ago when i was too smart to know any better?
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 08, 11:12 PM

Maybe you have more compression than what the starter is capable of handling?

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 30th, 08, 05:18 AM
Senior Tech
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by SepsiS View Post
Maybe you have more compression than what the starter is capable of handling?
Exactly what I was thinking, I have a Mcleod mini starter, never and issue

1969 Camaro, 548ci, 10.6:1, solid roller, Ford AOD, 4000 Stall, 12 bolt with 4.11's
New best, 10.59 at 125.48, 1.39 60ft

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 30th, 08, 09:42 AM
Senior Tech
Shawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by novaderrik View Post
the simple answer would be to put a toggle switch inline on the ignition wire- get the motor cranking, and flip the switch to fire it off..
this is the easiest way to fix the problem IMO

and plus, a toggle switch looks great inside of the car
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 30th, 08, 11:11 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

its a brand new motor, the compression is only 9.5 to 1....i dont understand what your talking about with the toggle switch inline on the igniton ...please explain a little more in detail...maybe im just not grasping it...lol

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 30th, 08, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atth2o View Post
its a brand new motor, the compression is only 9.5 to 1....i dont understand what your talking about with the toggle switch inline on the igniton ...please explain a little more in detail...maybe im just not grasping it...lol

You said that the car turns over fine with no load so I THINK he's suggesting using a switch on the coil so that you can start cranking with no load and then flipping the switch and turning the coil on while you're cranking.

I personally would not consider that a real fix for the problem though. I think that you need to figure out what the problem is and deal with that issue. You might just have a couple of bad starters.

edit: Hitachi is Japanese I believe....I personally don't trust their workmanship that goes for Chinese made parts also.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 30th, 08, 01:46 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

ya i have a friend with a powermaster starter on a blower motor, i think i will try his starter and see if there is a diffrence. If it works then your right it is the type of starter I have, if its the same thing I'll be back on here, ill keep you all posted and thanks for the responses everyone

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 30th, 08, 05:02 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Harry

I had same starter in the spring and I found out by backing off on the timing screeching went away.
later i also had an issue with starter bolts backing out and causing a similar problem.
locktite the starter bolts and see it that works.
I did that to mine and they still backed out.(bolts came with starter)
I bought some ARP starter bolts with safety wire holes and never had an issue since

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

434 stroker
US Navy retired

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 30th, 08, 05:50 PM
Senior Tech

ditch the mini starter and get a good oem style high torque starter. personally, i like the later model permanent magnet starters- they are light and strong, but also expensive.

you don't plan sincerity.
you have to make it up on the spot.

wanna hear about 20 years ago when i was too smart to know any better?
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 30th, 08, 08:44 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

ok we fixed it with a conglomeration of things...lol......tried a different starter out of my buddies blower motor, lower compression but go figure.lol It was a Hitachi-Type mini torque but i think it was American made AND I backed off some timing and it works great. Thanks again for all your ideas and input. It is always good to bounce stuff you all...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode