engine runs like crap why? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 08, 06:47 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Steven

engine runs like crap why?

ok so i finally got my car started again. (read earlier posts) and it is still doing the same thing. sometimes when i crank it over it will spit gas out the venturis and sometimes a big puff of smoke. after i drove it for about 3 minutes yesterday when i shut it off smoke will billow out the carb. and also it wont stay running. it will idle then when i let it idle without me on the gas it will slowly die, it would take like one or two minutes. could there be alot of carbon build up on my pistons causing all of this? my initial timing is set at 18* btdc and total is 32* btdc
thank
hope yall can help me out on this one!!
-Steven

69 Frost Green Camaro
LS3 with TSP stage 3 cam
Tremec TKO 600
Moser 12 bolt rear with ford ends 3.73:1 Eaton tru trac differential
Speedtech pro touring subframe
Ridetech rear 4-Link

Follow my journey here:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 08, 07:11 AM

Re: engine runs like crap why?

pull your distributor, set TDC line up your oil pump and drop in the distributor, making sure the rotor is pointed at #1 plug. Sounds like a timing issue. Another possibilty is vacuum leak. if you can keep the car running spray carb cleaner around entire intake, carb base etc. if the idle changes you have a leak.

hope this helps.
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 08, 11:56 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Steven

really my main concern is the smoke coming out of carb.

69 Frost Green Camaro
LS3 with TSP stage 3 cam
Tremec TKO 600
Ridetech rear 4-Link

Follow my journey here:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 08, 01:06 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Skip

Quote:
Originally Posted by illini67 View Post
pull your distributor, set TDC line up your oil pump and drop in the distributor, making sure the rotor is pointed at #1 plug. Sounds like a timing issue. Another possibility is vacuum leak. if you can keep the car running spray carb cleaner around entire intake, carb base etc. if the idle changes you have a leak.

hope this helps.
X2.... The distributor sounds like its of 180*... You can also pull the #1 plug, disconnect the coil wire. Put your thumb in the #1 spark plug hole, have someone crank/tape the motor over until your thumb blows off the hole. Then pull the cap and check if the rotor is pointing to the #1 on the cap (its probably not)... This means you need to pull the distributor and line up the oil pump and drop the distributor in, it may take some playing with as you start to drop the diss in you will have to turn the rotor so when it sets all the way down, the rotor will be lined up with #1 on the cap.

I NEED TO HIT THE LOTTERY
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 08, 03:18 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Steven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeeter55 View Post
X2.... The distributor sounds like its of 180*... You can also pull the #1 plug, disconnect the coil wire. Put your thumb in the #1 spark plug hole, have someone crank/tape the motor over until your thumb blows off the hole. Then pull the cap and check if the rotor is pointing to the #1 on the cap (its probably not)... This means you need to pull the distributor and line up the oil pump and drop the distributor in, it may take some playing with as you start to drop the diss in you will have to turn the rotor so when it sets all the way down, the rotor will be lined up with #1 on the cap.
been there done that like 20 times!!
i took it for a short cruise and it crapped out on me 4 miles from my home. had to tow it...again. the thing that it does is that the motor will spin in the other direction hence spitting the smoke and raw fuel out the carb when it starts to die on me

69 Frost Green Camaro
LS3 with TSP stage 3 cam
Tremec TKO 600
Ridetech rear 4-Link

Follow my journey here:

post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 08, 04:56 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Skip

Quote:
Originally Posted by stamatisg1977 View Post
been there done that like 20 times!!
i took it for a short cruise and it crapped out on me 4 miles from my home. had to tow it...again. the thing that it does is that the motor will spin in the other direction hence spitting the smoke and raw fuel out the carb when it starts to die on me
What your describing is that your getting fuel, but when it stalls your still getting fuel and no spark... Coil/Ignition would be my first guess and did you check the rotor to make sure its not off a tooth.

Stuck flowts.... Fouling spark plugs.....Bad coil.......Bad cap and rotor

What ignition are you running and what dose your spark plugs look like..

post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 08, 06:21 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Steven

but what will make the engine sputter then totally spin in the other direction? it will spin counterclockwise(looking from the front) at like 700rpm

69 Frost Green Camaro
LS3 with TSP stage 3 cam
Tremec TKO 600
Ridetech rear 4-Link

Follow my journey here:

post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 08, 07:12 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Skip

TRY READING THIS IT MAY HELP, I FOUND IT HERE UNDER A SEARCH.

Thanks Dave for the heads up, that was pretty long.

https://www.camaros.net/forums/showth...ngine+rotation

Last edited by Skeeter55; Sep 1st, 08 at 08:49 PM.
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 08, 07:40 PM
Senior Tech
Dave

Send a message via AIM to RamAirDave

Skip, for future reference just post the link to the tread rather than c/p it's entirety

Driving a #s-matching Z in the rain..... and lovin' it....
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 08, 06:20 AM

Steven,

smoke coming from the carb sounds like it is cause by too much fuel being dumped into the intake manifold, and it's being burnt off, thats not a huge problem, carbon buildup is also not an issue. If you have another carburator put it on, just to see if you can get the engine to idle and check tinming etc. What kind of carb do you have, sounds like a Holley, float levels, are problematic with these carbs, also if you have backfired through the carb you most likely blew your power valve. Best thing is to put on another carb to test the engine. Time it, check for intake and carb vacuum leaks.
post #11 of 36 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 08, 07:22 AM
Senior Tech
Charlie

It sounds like a timing issue. If the crankshaft damper is origina, you can't trust them 100%. The outer ring can spin and give you a false timing reading. The spitting sounds like timing. Mine did that when I had it 180* out. Is the timing pointer original to the engine? It really sounds like the timing is off. Do the fingure over the #1 cylinder trick or get yourself a piston stop. With the piston stop, you are going to have to remove a valve cover and watch to make sure the pushrods on #1 cylinder are free and not opening the valves making #6 tdc. Then set your dizzy again. Did you have the timing chain off for any reason? If so, when you lined up your marks on the timing gears, did you point the dots toward each other? If so, then you are supposed to spin the crankshaft over another 360* to get the cam gear at 12 and the crank gear at 12. If you left the dots pointed toward each other, then you have timed it at #6 tdc.

Charlie Knudsen 67 Camaro RS/SS 350 TKO 600, 4.10's, AFR 195 Street Heads, Comp 270H, Rhoads Lifters, Crane Ignition, Pertronix Dizzy, Performer RPM Q-Jet, Heavily Modified Q-Jet, Hooker Comp Headers, MagnaFlow 2 1/2", 144 Decibles(Alpine CDA-7998 Head Unit, RF X7 and RF 750X Amps, MB Quart Mid's & High's, Kicker L7 12" Solo Barics)
post #12 of 36 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 08, 07:46 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Steven

it may as well be alot of carbon build up since i was running 93 octane and i think i need a little more than that. i havnt messed with the timing chain. it is a shfiroff ultrastreet 434 all dynoed etc. the carb is a mighty demon 850 annular i just had the carb apart and the power valve seemed fine. they told me i can run pump gas just retard the timing to 32* i guess i need more octane i have 108 sitting in my garage, but if the car wont run, im not gonna waste it.

69 Frost Green Camaro
LS3 with TSP stage 3 cam
Tremec TKO 600
Ridetech rear 4-Link

Follow my journey here:

post #13 of 36 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 08, 08:06 AM
Senior Tech
Charlie

It's not the octane and it's not carbon. For carbon to build up, the engine has to be run and it takes more than this little bit to build up enough carbon to affect an engine in this manner. If they said it can run on pump gas, then it can run on pump gas. Did the engine you took out have electronic ignition or points? If points, then you have to give the new electronic dizzy a full 12volts.

Charlie Knudsen 67 Camaro RS/SS 350 TKO 600, 4.10's, AFR 195 Street Heads, Comp 270H, Rhoads Lifters, Crane Ignition, Pertronix Dizzy, Performer RPM Q-Jet, Heavily Modified Q-Jet, Hooker Comp Headers, MagnaFlow 2 1/2", 144 Decibles(Alpine CDA-7998 Head Unit, RF X7 and RF 750X Amps, MB Quart Mid's & High's, Kicker L7 12" Solo Barics)
post #14 of 36 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 08, 09:29 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Steven

well i have put on like 250 miles since i first started it up. it has an msd 6al box. if im running at 18* initial should i lower it to like maybe around 12-14* initial? would that help any? oh btw, maybe important info that i totally forgot about... when i got it running again and set up my timing light (non dial back), my initial was reading 30*!! could that then be 180 out? i have checked and double checked by putting my finger in #1 plug hole and turning engine by hand. put it so the pointer is on 18* btdc, and setting dizzy so the #1 plug wire is dead on with the rotor. so why would it read 30* btdc?

69 Frost Green Camaro
LS3 with TSP stage 3 cam
Tremec TKO 600
Ridetech rear 4-Link

Follow my journey here:

post #15 of 36 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 08, 10:51 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

If the timing was 180 off it wouldn't run at all. Sounds like too much fuel. Stuck float needle in the carb maybe ? Any fuel dribbling out of the vent tubes when it's running ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode