Headers - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 08, 10:58 AM Thread Starter
Wayne

Headers

Can someone offer some advice on headers?
I have a 69 Camaro 350 / 350 turbo, A/C and power steering.
I am trying to find a set of headers that will fit!
I purchased a set of hooker 2451 ceramic-coated headers that were supposed to fit.
The problem I have is with the power steering pump. One of the collector tubes is hitting the pump. The stock power steering gearbox has been replaced with a new AGR power steering box. The original box was not a close ratio and the replacement look identical in size. After talking to Summit tech support, they canít seem to find the problem. They are suggesting I try a different manufacture, they have suggested a headmen elite 68278
Has any one run into this problem and can you offer any suggestion for a sure fit?

Thanks,
Wayne
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 08, 11:22 AM
Senior Tech
Tom

Smile Re: Headers

My Hooker Competition Headers - fit fine. You must have the wrong engine mounts and frame mounts. The frame mounts are 302/350 frame mounts. NOT just small block mounts. Those are usually the 307/327 mounts. My Engine mounts are Energy suspension "tall and narrow" poly mounts. Good Luck !

69 Camaro -originally a LM1 car. 327, Edelbrock E-streets, hooker, DUI performance distributors, ultradyne cam, stewart, TRW etc. Vintage Air, AGR steering, Corbeau GTSII seats, 700R4 transmission, 12-bolt w/Eaton 4.11:1
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 08, 12:02 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Re: Headers

I've had 2 sets of 2451's on mine, with more clearance than the pics above shows, on 327 mounts and frame stands.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 08, 12:20 PM
Tech Team

I have the same setup as you except I have a 4 speed. I talked with the guys at Summit and Jegs and they both said the same thing. Hooker comps or super comps. I went with the comps and they fit great.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 08, 06:17 PM
Senior Tech
rick

wayne i put hedman elites on my 350 4 speed. 1 3/4 tubes i think same # you listed. cleared steering box 1/4 inch no denting tubes the only issue i had with them was they were against the lockout arm along the frame. had to modify the stand-off bracket to get it to clear.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 08, 08:48 PM
Senior Tech
Ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynedavid View Post
Can someone offer some advice on headers?
I have a 69 Camaro 350 / 350 turbo, A/C and power steering.
I am trying to find a set of headers that will fit!
I purchased a set of hooker 2451 ceramic-coated headers that were supposed to fit.
The problem I have is with the power steering pump. One of the collector tubes is hitting the pump. The stock power steering gearbox has been replaced with a new AGR power steering box. The original box was not a close ratio and the replacement look identical in size. After talking to Summit tech support, they canít seem to find the problem. They are suggesting I try a different manufacture, they have suggested a headmen elite 68278
Has any one run into this problem and can you offer any suggestion for a sure fit?

Thanks,
Wayne

Did you mean the header is hitting the pump or the box? I have the exact same as you, 69, 350, TH350, hooker ceramic headers, PS AGR box, and A/C. No issues with the pump hitting them and the box is close but not hitting. Some guys have ground a little off of the box cap to give clearance. Check which mounts/stands you have.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 08, 02:04 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

I ran into this issue yrs ago..like the guys say above , most proberly a mounts /stand issue....and or maybe trans mount...these also come in different heights...dizzy /firewall issues

You could look into making up a spacer plate 2 to 5mm for under the stand, and use longer mounting bolts.

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 08, 08:23 AM
Senior Tech
John

Does anyone know if these 2451 headers will fit angle plug heads? Hooker says "no" in their footnotes. I have Pro Topline angle plug heads and I am looking for some good fitting headers.(69 coupe, PS, PB, 4sp, Vintage Air AC).
Thanks,
John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode