68 camaro stock no get up and go - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 08, 06:08 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

68 camaro stock no get up and go

good afternoon, i have a 68 camaro orginal everything 327 2 barrel carb w/power glide transmission, i have had the engine rebuilt as well as the transmission, my problem is the car lacks passing power, in otherwards once in a while when you press the gas pedal to the floor it will kick in but mainly she takes her time getting up to speed and doesnt have any kick.

I think this is a carb problem, as if the vacumm advance isnt kicking in or something i suppose, what do you think? im not trying to race or anything at all, after all its only a 2bb carb but still there should be some kind of passing power,

it about helping others
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 08, 08:07 PM
Senior Tech
Jim

Send a message via Yahoo to go2fast
Re: 68 camaro stock no get up and go

What's it have for gears? The 327 2bbl and powerglide came with something like 2.76 gears. It wasn't a quick car when it was new.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 08, 08:36 PM
Senior Tech
george

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightmoose View Post
good afternoon, i have a 68 camaro orginal everything 327 2 barrel carb w/power glide transmission, i have had the engine rebuilt as well as the transmission, my problem is the car lacks passing power, in otherwards once in a while when you press the gas pedal to the floor it will kick in but mainly she takes her time getting up to speed and doesnt have any kick.

I think this is a carb problem, as if the vacumm advance isnt kicking in or something i suppose, what do you think? im not trying to race or anything at all, after all its only a 2bb carb but still there should be some kind of passing power,
Sounds like it is doing what it was intended to do.Move the 68 down the road..thats about it.Vac advance does not kick in at wot.it lays back and allows the mechanical advance curve to take over total ign timing.I have made some mods to my 68 camaro to enhance performance over stock oem application.Your 327 would like a 700r4 auto trans.The deep 1st gear ratio of 3.06/1 would crutch your low torque and give you more range options and deliver more mpg at e-way speed with a lockup converter feature.All this..and still retain the 2 bbl carb.

George
68 Camaro
8-71 blown 461 Rat on E-85

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 08, 09:06 PM
Senior Tech
Mike Petrovich

I had same situation with 2bb 327, Powerglide transmission, and 2.73 gears. I decided for some easy, affordable upgrades. Here are some of them:

Swapped the Powerglide (1.76 first gear) for a TH350 (2.52 first gear).

Swapped the stock 210 hp heads (1.72 intake valves) for World S/R heads (1.94 intake valves) (similar to 275 hp 327 Camaro option).

Swapped the original intake/exhaust for 4bb carb, Edelbrock Performer intake, headers, and x-pipe with Dynomax turbo mufflers.

Cam change, gear change, Eaton Posi are other options you might consider. If you keep the 2.73 axle gears, a 700r4 transmission would improve take off, but its overdrive gear might give you pretty low rpms on the highway with a 327 (I welcome any other thoughts on this....)

1968 327 sport coupe. Son of original owner.

Last edited by mike p; Aug 31st, 08 at 09:10 PM. Reason: Clarity
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 08, 09:35 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

i understand what you are all saying, i have done many modifications to my 67 camaro but this 68 that i own is all original with protecto plate, im not saying that the car should be fast what i am saying is even with the pedal to the floor it doesnt kcik in at all, every car has some sort of kick when stomping on the pedal, im not saying the car will go fast or anything but it should be able to push it into gear thus i feel i have a carb problem because once in a while it does work

it about helping others
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 08, 09:51 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Quote:
ii am saying is even with the pedal to the floor it doesnt kcik in at all, every car has some sort of kick when stomping on the pedal,
Are you telling us that sometimes when you're cruising along and stomp the gas, the car downshifts to first "passing" gear and sometimes it doesn't?

That would be a problem of sorts then.

There is a linkage attached to the carb, it runs back under the throttle rod, to a bellcrank that crosses the back of the engine and then another rod down to a lever on the transmission. The whole mess should move when you press the gas, to tell the trans how much power you are asking for.

It should kick down to first when you floor it. Certainly at 40, maybe at 50 also. Not much faster than that, it'll run out of rpms.

That linkage should be checked to make sure it's working properly, and adjusted properly.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 08, 09:54 PM
Senior Tech
James

Quote:

Do a tune up (plugs cap rotor wires filter) and advance the timing.
Even a 327/210hp powerglide with 2.73 rear gears should have a little V8 punch to it.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 08, 08:04 AM
Senior Tech
cave dweller

Sounds like it's not downshifting into "passing gear" as we used to call it back in the good ole days. At say 40 MPH and you manually shift down into low, does it seem to have some get-up-and-go then? If so, then do what Jim says.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM View Post
There is a linkage attached to the carb, it runs back under the throttle rod, to a bellcrank that crosses the back of the engine and then another rod down to a lever on the transmission. The whole mess should move when you press the gas, to tell the trans how much power you are asking for.

It should kick down to first when you floor it. Certainly at 40, maybe at 50 also. Not much faster than that, it'll run out of rpms.

That linkage should be checked to make sure it's working properly, and adjusted properly.

1968 Camaro - neglected project
2004 Pontiac GTO - lots of mods
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 08, 08:59 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

yes its as jim says i think there is a linkage problem, the car runs great engine totally rebuilt electric ignition eben the original transmission was rebuilt, what i am saying is just that its not down shifting or what ever it wont push at all i will have to check the linkage out, i notice the spring etc, this has to be something simple, thats why i think its a carb problem once in a while it does kick in when stomping on the pedal other wise you have to wait for some time to catch up to speed,

the tarnsmission is a power glide everything automatic what are you guys saying by wait until she gets to 40mph then manually do it? at 40 i have no problem speeding up its getting up to 40 that is the slow part lol, are you guys saying get her to 40mph then down shift manually like to d2 or something?

it about helping others
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 08, 04:39 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Yes, cruising at 40 mph and going to WOT should force a downshift just as if you manually shifted to first and go to WOT. The results should be the same.

If the trans is not downshifting, then an adjustment should be checked and made, if needed.
Remove the air cleaner.
Have an assistant hold the throttle to the floor.
Observe throttle plates to make sure they are open fully. if not, shorten the linkage rod at the carb attachment.
If throttle is adjusted, make sure it returns to idle/closes.
Hold throttle open.
Bottom linkage rod on carb is for PG kickdown. Can the rod be pulled forward?
If rod can be pulled, needs adjustment. Release throttle, pull off k/down linkage, open throttle to WOT.
Pull k/down rod forward; you will feel resistance on the last 1/2 inch of travel. This is the 'kickdown' portion.
The front oval of the k/down rod should match the front of carb stud, as in slip over it. If not, adjust the length of the k/down rod to match.
Close throttle, attach k/down rod, attach spring, go to WOT, and does throttle return? Make sure it returns.
Reinstall air cleaner.

Test drive. Stop sign to WOT, trans should upshift at about 5000 rpm/60 mph, depending upon rear gear ratio. Cruise at 30-45 mph, WOT, should downshift.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 08, 06:25 PM
Senior Tech
george

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike p View Post
If you keep the 2.73 axle gears, a 700r4 transmission would improve take off, but its overdrive gear might give you pretty low rpms on the highway with a 327 (I welcome any other thoughts on this....)
By all means..a low torque 327 might struggle at low e-way speed in od..locked up.This could be corrected by manually selecting D3 for those driving conditions.I am thinking more like 70 mph on the flat interstate..the v8 327 with mild cam timing should be happy with the low rpm,s.Now 50 mph cruise and inclines or a heavy head wind may require the manual selection.I think the more ranges available..allows you to find the sweet spot the engine wants to operate in under varying conditions and road speeds.

George
68 Camaro
8-71 blown 461 Rat on E-85
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 08, 10:49 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Dont just wind up the advance on the timing..u can end up doing damage bu over advancing the total
A couple slightly lighter springs on the counterweights makes a suprisingly more peppy and responsive stock engine

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 08, 06:05 AM
Senior Tech

at 40 i have no problem speeding up its getting up to 40 that is the slow part lol, are you guys saying get her to 40mph then down shift manually like to d2 or something?[/QUOTE]

I think thats the key we need to help him.
If you are having a problem getting to 40 mph its not the trans or linkage it may be thats all the power its got or some light tweeking to tune related things may be needed. Check your advance and base timming. If you have points still, adjust those to spec first. If you have little power after that and no other symptoms you may have a carb problem. Start with just the basic tune stuff first. A little rich or lean can cost you alot of power!
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 08, 10:40 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

yes its the getting up to 40mph to begin with that is slow after no biggie crusing at 90-100 lol, i dont have points when the engine was redone i also had it converted to MSD, its not missing or anything, i think i have a carb problem i really do

it about helping others
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 08, 10:43 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett#2390 View Post
Yes, cruising at 40 mph and going to WOT should force a downshift just as if you manually shifted to first and go to WOT. The results should be the same.

If the trans is not downshifting, then an adjustment should be checked and made, if needed.
Remove the air cleaner.
Have an assistant hold the throttle to the floor.
Observe throttle plates to make sure they are open fully. if not, shorten the linkage rod at the carb attachment.
If throttle is adjusted, make sure it returns to idle/closes.
Hold throttle open.
Bottom linkage rod on carb is for PG kickdown. Can the rod be pulled forward?
If rod can be pulled, needs adjustment. Release throttle, pull off k/down linkage, open throttle to WOT.
Pull k/down rod forward; you will feel resistance on the last 1/2 inch of travel. This is the 'kickdown' portion.
The front oval of the k/down rod should match the front of carb stud, as in slip over it. If not, adjust the length of the k/down rod to match.
Close throttle, attach k/down rod, attach spring, go to WOT, and does throttle return? Make sure it returns.
Reinstall air cleaner.

Test drive. Stop sign to WOT, trans should upshift at about 5000 rpm/60 mph, depending upon rear gear ratio. Cruise at 30-45 mph, WOT, should downshift.
what do you mean by "WOT" ?

it about helping others
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode