Help me slam the ford engine designs!!!!! - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 53 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 08, 08:09 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Help me slam the ford engine designs!!!!!

The boys over on the mustang forum are beating up on the chevys pretty bad on the distributor being in the back. I need help pointing out the design flaws in the ford motors. They are also mentioning the solenoid being on the starter and the metal spark plug shields. Just how many things can we find wrong with a ford motor???

1) over-complicated timing cover/water pump setup

2) ?

3) ?

4) ?

I also brought up that except for a few years with mustangs, ford cars look like *** (yes....I'm being childish)!!! LOL

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 53 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 08, 08:35 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
Re: Help me slam the ford engine designs!!!!!

Please don't start a forum war, we don't need a bunch of Mustang guys bashing TC and TC members don't need to bash other sites...

I know there can be some good clean rivalry between Mustang and Camaro folks but it's easy to go beyond that... Thanks

...Dennis

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #3 of 53 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 08, 08:38 AM
Senior Tech
Timothy

Im no expert but my machinist loves to slam Ford motor design. He showed me a spark plug with a sleeved design that when removed from the motor tend to drop deposits that have collected along the edge of the sleeve onto the piston. Now his question was, once that happens what do you do next? Pull the heads?

My 69 RS/SS 396 Project -

"I may be dumb but I aint stupid"

post #4 of 53 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 08, 08:49 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Dennis.......I wasn't looking at it that way. The guys at VMF are good and helpful. This is all in fun. A lot of them own chevys (or cheby's to them). I'm just not informed enough to engage in banter. They are well aware that I'm chevy first and ford second. I thought it might be a great way to learn about things to look for or think about with my '67 fastback. I do see and hear your concerns though!

post #5 of 53 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 08, 09:09 AM
Senior Tech
Charlie

The blocks are not exactly the stongest. They crack all the way through the valley area down to the mains area.

Charlie Knudsen 67 Camaro RS/SS 350 TKO 600, 4.10's, AFR 195 Street Heads, Comp 270H, Rhoads Lifters, Crane Ignition, Pertronix Dizzy, Performer RPM Q-Jet, Heavily Modified Q-Jet, Hooker Comp Headers, MagnaFlow 2 1/2", 144 Decibles(Alpine CDA-7998 Head Unit, RF X7 and RF 750X Amps, MB Quart Mid's & High's, Kicker L7 12" Solo Barics)
post #6 of 53 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 08, 11:47 AM
Senior Tech
Andy

Send a message via AIM to 67SS&99SS

They can't figure out how to make power n.a. with a 4.6 modular motor. Their answer is a supercharger, just to run with an LS1. Chevrolet's repsonse, the LS9.

1967 Camaro SS: 406 sbc, 522hp/514 ft lbs, Doug's 1 3/4" headers, M20, posi, 3.73's, vintage air gen IV, IROC steering box, Comp Eng. weld-in sfc's & traction bars, chrome US Mags

post #7 of 53 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 08, 12:23 PM
Senior Tech
John

If they are giving you a hard time about Chevy hiding the distributor at the back of the motor, remind them that if they get a radiator leak, or a bad puddle, their distributor will get hit with water long before ours will. Usually a bad thing .

Tell them to count their head bolts too....the Ford small block uses 10, we use 17... remind them we need all those extra bolts because of all that HP we make
post #8 of 53 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 08, 12:34 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Robert

Bell housing bolt patterns were all over the place. Made it difficult swaping big block/ small block. As matter of fact there were differences between each one respectively.

Edit: I'll fess up to the fact of driving an F150 daily. Nothing wrong with Fords, buy/drive what you want to. Each MFG. has it's quirks.

Robert

355ci 10:1, 64cc Edelbrocks, Comp Mag 280H, Performer RPM, 700r4 (2000 stall), 3.55 posi A/C PS PDB Hotchkis

369ci 10.3:1, 64cc Edelbrocks, Voodoo 276/284, Performer RPM, Holley 650DP ...T56 Magnum, 3.73 Moser 12 bolt
TC member #18

Last edited by rojo; Sep 2nd, 08 at 07:54 PM. Reason: Truth be known
post #9 of 53 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 08, 01:04 PM
Senior Tech
Tom

I was also going to mention the lack of head bolts. That is enough of a reason not to use a Ford engine. Who cares if the distributor is in back. I would rather have that than replace head gaskets after a good nitrous run.

Last edited by Oldrocker; Sep 2nd, 08 at 01:15 PM.
post #10 of 53 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 08, 05:58 PM
Senior Tech
David

Parts interchangeability between model years with F0*d is substandard. Go to a F0*d dealership parts counter and you'll quickly understand why. It took 2 hours for me to purchase the 10 bolts that secures the center section to the rearend housing of the 9" in my Camaro because I didn't have a part number. Dummy me, I thought all 9" rearends used the same bolt in the housing. Guess what, they do, and I could see them in a parts bin directly behind the counter where the guy was standing, I left and went to another dealership and got the correct part number but they were out of stock, so I go back to the first dealership with the part number, quote the part number to the parts guy and he reaches into the exact bin where I knew they were, I pay for them and tell him " the only F0*d parts I'll ever have to buy and they're goin' on a '69 Camaro, sure glad I didn't actually own a F0*d vehicle" with this kind of service".

"All I need is a fast machine". Steve McQueen
My Machine: 1969 Pro Street Camaro

468 CID 661 Horsepower
Turbo 400
33"x19.50" Mickey Thompsons

post #11 of 53 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 08, 07:42 PM
Senior Tech
AJ

How about the 10 million different engine blocks they have produced, FE, Windsor, Cleveland... Different variations on the same motor, 351, 352... come on guys, 1 cubic inch more?
Oh, KB supercharger barely out runs bone stock ls1 cars.... ba ha ha ha ha....
Not a rant or bash post, just the plain old truth.

The only Mustang I'd ever own is a Fender.

'68 333" Camaro
'14 5.0 Mustang
post #12 of 53 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 08, 08:42 PM
Senior Tech
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldrocker View Post
I was also going to mention the lack of head bolts. That is enough of a reason not to use a Ford engine. Who cares if the distributor is in back. I would rather have that than replace head gaskets after a good nitrous run.
Yeah that and the tiny rod bolts!!! What about their stock heads and how they flow.............BOOOOO!!!

68 RS, 16mpg, 3200lbs, 355ci, 9.6:1, Ported Kemper Perfomance, production 441s, 76cc, 2.02 1.60. Hyd flat tappet XE274,RPM Performer,750 Holley, 1 5/8 tubes, 2.5 Dynomax full exhaust. 3500, 400TH, 3.73s, caltracs, NA [email protected] 1.62 60ft DA 1400ft.
post #13 of 53 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 08, 08:52 PM
Senior Tech

I had a guy ask once why ford put their oil sump in the front of the motor and chevy put theirs in the back. I told him cause the ford doesn't make enuf power to force all the oil to the back of the motor like a chevy does.
That and some of the fords have 2 drain plugs in the oil pans and you have to pull both of them to get all the oil out.

NEVER argue with a stupid person. They bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience.
post #14 of 53 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 08, 09:07 PM
Senior Tech
Shawn

they are retarded if they are complaining about the distrib being in the back, and about something as stupid as a solenoid on a starter and something to protect heat from the spark plug boots

seriously.. what idiots come up with this stupid stuff?

if you want to slam them, then tell them how a v6 camaro can beat a 98 and lower mustang gt stock for stock
post #15 of 53 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 08, 10:35 PM

I drive a 98 Mustang GT, daily. I like it, but it's no Camaro.

edit: here's a picture of it. BLASPHEMOUS!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode