'99 Grand Am fuel filter - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 08, 11:05 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mark

'99 Grand Am fuel filter

Was going to replace my daughter's fuel filter yesterday but couldn't figure out the quick disconnect fitting. The new filter has a plastic male fitting with two tabs you press down. Pretty straightforward stuff. I get under the car and the old filter has a plastic female fitting with four tabs. Looks completely different. Is the two tab male fitting under the four tab female fitting? What am I missing?

Mark

68 327 4-speed 3.42 posi and a sunroof
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

best so far... 13.25 at 106mph

78 Firebird 350/T350 3.23 posi
65 Mustang convert. 6 cyl. 3-speed
66 Mustang coupe 6 cyl. auto
80 Chevy C10 406 4-speed

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 08, 12:59 PM
Senior Tech
Tom

Re: '99 Grand Am fuel filter

The filter on the car has one of two possible connectors. One style has a quick disconnect fitting on the line. There is supposed to be a collar around what you are describing as the factory clip. You can push the collar back away from the filter and it releases the tabs and the line comes off (its good to spray a little WD40 in the fitting to help loosen any debris). The other is the clip that you described that came with the fuel filter. I'm afraid you have the first style and someone may have broken the connector. I've seen this a few times actually. What you need to do now is get a quick disconnect tool (like Ford and late GM uses) and find the proper size for your filter. You should be able to get it into the female connector and release the tabs that way. The filter is the same, you just discard the plastic clip that came with it. As long as you don't damage the original clip, it should work fine, just push it onto the male end of the filter and you will here is click into place.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 08, 02:33 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mark

Tom

So the 4 tab female connector slides back on the line, kind of like an old air hose connector? I just don't want to break the damn thing and end up working 4 hours fixing what should have been a 10 minute job. It's got the quick connect on one end and a regular threaded fitting on the other.

I have a tool kind of like this.
http://www.shopperschoice.com/item_n...em_376320.html
Does it slide under the tabs?

Mark

80 Chevy C10 406 4-speed

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 08, 03:44 PM
Senior Tech
Tom

Yes it just slides back. I would clean out the area, sometimes debris can make it a hard job. Just was it out, spray some WD 40. Use both hands here, use one to pull back on the release mechanism and use the other to pull the line while still holding the release mechanism. You may have to twist and pull some, but you shouldn't have to pull hard. The tool you show is what I was referring to, but you shouldn't need it and can't use it unless the quick disconnect is broken. Then that's a new can of worms, Dorman does make a repair kit for them I think. Ya' gotta' love these car engineers and their ways of thinking.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 08, 03:56 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mark

Quick disconnect... I could come up with a few other names for the piece of crap. What's wrong with a threaded fitting at both ends??? Sheeeesh.

Thanks for the info Tom. Next time she's home for more than 10 minutes I'll get back under there and give it a try.

Mark

80 Chevy C10 406 4-speed

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 08, 04:22 PM
Senior Tech
Shawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrekke View Post
Quick disconnect... I could come up with a few other names for the piece of crap. What's wrong with a threaded fitting at both ends??? Sheeeesh.

Thanks for the info Tom. Next time she's home for more than 10 minutes I'll get back under there and give it a try.

Mark
yeah, its a stupid idea, but personally i feel it has saved me before

my father got bad gas at the station, and his fuel filter got clogged, and fuel started squirting out of it.. i guess that was a bad thing, but having the car just randomly stall and not being able to figure out the problem would have been worse.. it immediately told me there was a problem with the fuel filter
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 08, 07:35 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mark

Got it installed last night with a minimun of cussing. The old filter had black coffee grounds looking crud that came out of it. Guess it hadn't been changed in a while.

Thanks for the help Tom.

Mark

80 Chevy C10 406 4-speed

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 08, 07:43 AM
Senior Tech
Shawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrekke View Post
Got it installed last night with a minimun of cussing. The old filter had black coffee grounds looking crud that came out of it. Guess it hadn't been changed in a while.

Thanks for the help Tom.

Mark
was it really that bad?

i had the fuel filter changed in less than 5 min on both a 98, and an 02' chevy

the only real problem was getting the bolts loose, i was afraid of breaking the fuel lines
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 08, 08:06 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by victimizati0n View Post
was it really that bad?

i had the fuel filter changed in less than 5 min on both a 98, and an 02' chevy

the only real problem was getting the bolts loose, i was afraid of breaking the fuel lines
I had to pry the quick disconnect fitting back with needle nose pliers, even after a couple WD-40 soakings. It was on there to stay. Apparently it was still the original filter, by the looks of the crap that came out of it.

Mark

80 Chevy C10 406 4-speed

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 08, 10:06 AM
Senior Tech
Tom

Yes they can be a pain to get loose, that's why I see so many with damaged fittings. As far as the 98 and 02 Chevy, I don't believe they used this fitting, They used the two pronged clip like the one mentioned that came with the new filter. Those are much easier to remove. And you are welcome, I'll be glad to help when I can. Tom
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 08, 12:58 PM
Senior Tech
Shawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldrocker View Post
Yes they can be a pain to get loose, that's why I see so many with damaged fittings. As far as the 98 and 02 Chevy, I don't believe they used this fitting, They used the two pronged clip like the one mentioned that came with the new filter. Those are much easier to remove. And you are welcome, I'll be glad to help when I can. Tom
well call me stupid.. thats probably the reason why it was so easy for me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode