thumper cams? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 08, 01:08 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
steve

thumper cams?

What is everyone's oppinion on the comp cam thumper series? I am going to run a stock crate 350 with edelbrock rpm performer intake, edelbrock carb #1405 cant remember the size. With a 4 speed. I dont want to race but I really love the loppy sound.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 08, 01:25 PM
Senior Tech
Ed

Re: thumper cams?

This is going to be a hot topic (always is when someone mentions it).

There are a couple thread where this has been discussed before:
https://www.camaros.net/forums/showth...ghlight=Thumpr

Overall I did a bunch of research, made sure my cam choice matched the other parts on my motor and went with the most mild Thumpr they had for a BBC.

The sound is nice and the performance should be pretty good. The increased exhaust duration and lobe separation should help with exhaust breath-ability that the BBC typically has problems with.

But you are probably going to get a lot of people putting down the Thumpr line for being marketed as having a nice sound. That isn't my first choice in cam selection (I think there are other strong reasons to pick this cam line). But do whatever makes you happy, just keep in mind matching all the parts in your motor will result in producing the maximum horsepower from that combination of parts.

Hope this helps!

Ed

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 08, 01:43 PM
Senior Tech
Chad

Might want to try my favorite indstead Crane 274H06.Nice loppy idle and good torque.Also you can run it with stock springs and rockers.http://store.summitracing.com/partde...2&autoview=sku

67 Plum Mist Met. 408 TH350 3.08 posi
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 08, 03:45 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Harry

helped change my buddies cam to a thumper
they sound ok but the power he lost wasnt worth the effort.

434 stroker
US Navy retired

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 08, 04:47 PM
Senior Tech
Shawn

it sounds like total crap IMO

sounds nothing like a very lopey idle "race cam"

edit* after listening to numerous clips, i must say the big mutha thumper cam sounds pretty nice on a 383

they just sound like they have way too much lope, they dont have the "race" sound like the crackling of the exhaust after you rev it up

Last edited by victimizati0n; Sep 2nd, 08 at 05:01 PM.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 08, 07:44 PM
Senior Tech
AJ

Some of the Dumpr Cams come with a Noisy Gear Drive...What does that tell you?
Need I say more?

The only Mustang I'd ever own is a Fender.

'68 333" Camaro
'14 5.0 Mustang
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 08, 07:22 AM
Senior Tech
Charlie

Don't listen to doubters. The August 2008 issue of Hot Rod magazine did a comparison on the 5 most popular cams and the Thumpr 283THR-107 scored the highest in every category excpet for Peak Power Output. They can, believe it or not, build some nice power. This cam being a roller your engine will need some modifications, but it's for the better anyway. Maybe some of the guys who actually installed the Thumpr will chime in and tell you just how much they like it. Now, some guys may say they lost power, but if they were running a cam with an RPM range of say 2500-6500, then they may very well have felt a loss in TORQUE. The Thumpr is a 1900-5600 cam so it's more toward low grunt and middle torque than it is for upper power. I think you will like it, especially if all you are want is sound. Plus, you will get some fun along with the sound. This is just my opinion of course.

Charlie Knudsen 67 Camaro RS/SS 350 TKO 600, 4.10's, AFR 195 Street Heads, Comp 270H, Rhoads Lifters, Crane Ignition, Pertronix Dizzy, Performer RPM Q-Jet, Heavily Modified Q-Jet, Hooker Comp Headers, MagnaFlow 2 1/2", 144 Decibles(Alpine CDA-7998 Head Unit, RF X7 and RF 750X Amps, MB Quart Mid's & High's, Kicker L7 12" Solo Barics)
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 08, 03:33 PM
Senior Tech
Ed

Charlie makes a good point there have been a number of articles where they used a Thumpr cam and they did some impressive numbers out it.

http://www.popularhotrodding.com/tec...ild/index.html

http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles..._manifold.html

There is an article about a BBC with Thumpr which was pretty close to my engine build as well, if I remember right it was over 650 hp on a 489. I can't seem to find a link to it online however.

Ed

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 08, 05:47 PM

Look, please check out what your 350 crate engine's CR. really is b/c it can be like 8 to 1 if it is a Good Wrench!

I'm not going to bad mouth the Thumpr cams b/c if you install one in a dedicated "Old-School" engine like CC wishes that they would go in, you will be fine, imho!!

A modern engine, then go w/ a cam that should be used after you check BOTH Static compression ratio and Dynamic compression ratio and be done w/ it!

And imho, UDHarold at (662) 562-4933 can fix you right up w/ a SOTA cam of his design that you NEED instead of WANT, again, imho!!

And if you call Harold up, please say hello from ol' pdq67 for me.

pdq67

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode