Solid lifter adjustment - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 08, 06:59 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Solid lifter adjustment

OK , Dumb question of the day,
Just purchased this bad boy with unknown internals other than eagle crank,H Beam rods,roller set up, B & M blower,Aluninum Brodix heads,I will be pulling the timing cover to try and ID the cam but for now need to check valve adjustment sence I just did compression check which is about 175-185 PSI per cyl.
I am only familiar with 30 30 adjustment on my z car, Any help ? Also are these Moroso rubber valve cover gaskets a 1 time shot ?
Thanx

Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 08, 07:38 AM
Senior Tech
Matt

Re: Solid lifter adjustment

I hate to tell you this but most of the cams have their grind numbers stamped on the distributor end of the cam. As for the gaskets, the blue Moroso gaskets are reusable. Just wipe em off and re-install.
You may be able to figure out the lash by trial fitting some feeler gauges on each intake and exhaust valve. Then compare the results and see what number is most common. You can have a .005 variance either way.

'68 Camaro SS. Dealer for American made performance & restoration parts.
Check my site
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 08, 07:41 AM
Senior Tech
Shawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by chassisboy View Post
I hate to tell you this but most of the cams have their grind numbers stamped on the distributor end of the cam. As for the gaskets, the blue Moroso gaskets are reusable. Just wipe em off and re-install.
You may be able to figure out the lash by trial fitting some feeler gauges on each intake and exhaust valve. Then compare the results and see what number is most common. You can have a .005 variance either way.
my comp cam has the number printed right under the timing chain gear.. cant miss it

not sure how others are.. its a hydraulic cam though

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 08, 09:47 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Would asking the previous owner for the cam card be out of the question?

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 08, 05:02 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

I wish it was that easy, Prev owner couldnt retrieve it either. I have the org owners name that had motor built and working on finding him , but till then , I'm ina big pickle.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 08, 05:07 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Skip

Quote:
Originally Posted by chassisboy View Post
X2 This would be the next best thing, if you have no clue on the cam specs.

I NEED TO HIT THE LOTTERY
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 08, 07:03 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

He could also remove the plugs, attach a degree wheel, and plot the duration of both intake and exhaust valves and valve lift and compare the values to manufacturer's catalog, if manf is known.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 08, 06:30 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Great idea , This will be the next step if markings are not on the cam under timing cover..... There is a ever so slight leak at the crank seal
so I have a great reason to take a peak...

This sight is so great , Thanx Yall
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 08, 07:48 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

I know it sounds insane to buy a unit with out knowing all the information, But this was sucha great deal it was worth it... Looks like the best of the best was used as far as I can tell so far and the detail took to put this together is unmatched from what I can tell so far...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Blown  Z28 032.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	148.1 KB
ID:	7784  
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 08, 08:26 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Skip

Jim that is bad to the bone .

I NEED TO HIT THE LOTTERY
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 08, 08:47 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Thank you Skip . My words also , I can deal with a few issues for sucha ride.... It runs as good as it looks, But it will sit till I'm sure the valve train is sume what adjusted , one cyl is showing 165 lbs of comp the rest are rite at 175 to 180 ..... hoping a lil adjustment will bring it up a bit..
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 08, 04:51 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Awesome set-up. Do you issue Foster-Grants to those looking?

If onre is down 10 PSI, tighten up adjustment by 0.004' and check again. IC/EO = Intake closing, adjust exhaust, exhaust opening, adjust intake.

'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode