not a camaro but please help - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 08, 03:18 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
jason

not a camaro but please help

my wife was driving her santa fe and her timing belt broke and sent the valve through the piston. Note to self, change timing belt every 50,000 miles, it was 2,000 miles past the 50,000 mile mark from the last time i changed the belt.

i got everything back together after buying another head (machined with a new valve job and decked). But i made a very stupid mistake when i put on the new timing belt. The TDC marks are for the #1 and #3 cylinder, and you guessed it, i lined everything up for the #3 cylinder and most likely bent the new valves.

My question is, I replaced the head gasket with a new one when i rebuilt the motor, when I remove the head (for the second time) do i need another new head gasket or can i reuse the one i just replaced for $80.

Thanks
Stan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 08, 03:21 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Robert

Re: not a camaro but please help

I would replace it. Just my opion.

There are no problems only solutions

68 Camaro, RS/SS, ZZ502, Retrotek Fuel Injection, 4 Speed.

2010 RS/2SS Black, 6 speed trans
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 08, 03:22 PM
Senior Tech
Shawn

some copper ones are reusable.. i guess it depends on which one you got

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 08, 03:26 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
jason

I was thinking i was going to have to replace it, the price for being stupid. the gasket was from a set i got from the machine shop. i believe that it is from a company called Rock. I'm at work now so I'm not sure if i remembered the name correctly,
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 08, 04:48 PM
Senior Tech
bill

i would replace it. for insurance purposes. do you want to pull head again if it leaks. sometimes it doesnt sit exactly as first time now you got 2 different impressions and i wont sit right and leak.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 08, 07:52 AM
Senior Tech
Charlie

Definately replace it. Just think of it as a personal punishment , plus you will have peace of mind knowing the gasket won't leak.

Charlie Knudsen 67 Camaro RS/SS 350 TKO 600, 4.10's, AFR 195 Street Heads, Comp 270H, Rhoads Lifters, Crane Ignition, Pertronix Dizzy, Performer RPM Q-Jet, Heavily Modified Q-Jet, Hooker Comp Headers, MagnaFlow 2 1/2", 144 Decibles(Alpine CDA-7998 Head Unit, RF X7 and RF 750X Amps, MB Quart Mid's & High's, Kicker L7 12" Solo Barics)
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 08, 08:04 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

Gotta replace it. I tried this on a Toyota 20R once and the gasket lasted only 200 miles.

'67 rs - ordered new by my Grandfather
327 L30, K-K, Deluxe int, tach & gauges, 12 bolt posi, 4 speed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 08, 08:00 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
jason

ends up that the valves are fine, i guess it needed to break in with the new piston, rings, and head.

after everthing was together i noticed a little oil in the antifreeze, any chance that it was oil that leaked into the coolant holes on the head when i removed everything. oil is fine and it runs like new, no overheating, or any other problems i've noticed. i was going to change the oil tomorrow to make sure no anti-freeze is in the oil.

also no air bubbles and the only oil that i found was on the top of the antifreeze, it is clear when i skim it
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 08, 11:55 PM
Senior Tech
Ron

I Imagine that is an Overhead cam engine. Either way when a Valve meshes with a Piston you have more then likely bent or twisted a connecting rod. I've seen this happen many times. After this kind of incident and the Heads appear not to be damaged always do a Deck to Piston reading at TDC of that cylinder compared to other cylinders to check if the connecting rod has not been damaged.

I've seen OHC Lobes literally rounded on the nose and shear off the Cap of the lifter when the timing belt has slipped or broken causing the Valve to punch a Piston. In most cases particularly with smaller displacement OHC engines the connecting rods get bent.

Z15CAM - There was a Viper in my Rear View

This was my 70 1/2 Z28

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 08, 07:36 AM
Senior Tech
Chuck

Isn't that a Hyundai? Just one more question. Why didn't you just punt?
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 08, 12:57 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
jason

i took everything to the machine shop and they checked the connecting rods. the rods were the only thing that was reused, everything was replaced.

and if you mean by punt, getting a different car, we just paid this one off and was hoping to be without a car payment for a while. if that is what you ment.

everything is back together and runs great, except the oil in the antifreeze. i guess that means the head gasket failed or it was put in incorrectly. i can not image how it was put in correctly, it only goes on one way and torqued it correct in the correct steps with a brand new snap-on torque wrench
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 08, 10:47 PM
Tech Team
Patric

head gasket shoud always be replaced.
Have you replaced the head bolts. Confirm with hyundai dealer if they are stretch head bolts. If they are they need to be replaced each time you do a head. Second thing, flush your cooling system completely and see after for oil mixing with antifreeze. Was the replacement head magnaflux????
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 08, 07:57 AM
Senior Tech

I realize that this is a little late for you but I always use new head bolts on everything. I catch a lot of crap for it but I consider it cheap insurance. Another thing I do that supposedly isn't necessary is paint both side of a head gasket with aluminum paint. I have never had head gasket failure either. In your case, I would flush the cooling system before I got to concerned about leaks in addition to changing the oil.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 08, 09:14 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
jason

brand new head bolts were used. the head was pressure tested and decked by the machine shop.

i was thinnking about changing out the antifreeze, but i do not think that it will help, i am going to change the oil today to see if it has any anti freeze in it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode