Cowl Air Cleaner height - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 08, 04:07 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dan

Cowl Air Cleaner height

Note to self...make sure parts fit before you spend money to have them modified.

OK, so I got the cowl induction air cleaner. I brought it to my friend and he cut off the snorkel, patched in the hole and repainted it. It looks great. He did a great job and it looks like it left the factory without the snorkel on it.

So I try to close the hood. Damn things too tall. The hood won't close.

Here's what it looks like with the hood in the position as pictured above.

Do they make these things in different heights?

I have a small block 400
Holley carb
Victor Jr intake
No spacer under the carb.

Other than just starting to cut away some height in half inch increments, anyone have some pointers on how I can modify this easier?

Even if I take off the flat ring that the rubber mounts too, I can't close the hood. It's about 1/4 inch too tall too fully close the hood.

Time saving tips?

Dan

1968 RS - Black
408 w/ Muncie 4 speed & 12 bolt rear
Deluxe Houndstooth Interior
Dropped 2" with TeamIII Mini-Lites

Click for Picture:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 08, 04:09 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Harry

Re: Cowl Air Cleaner height

I dont think so but your victor jr manifold is much taller than stock

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

434 stroker
US Navy retired

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 08, 04:38 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Andrew

I have a Victor Jr. manifold and Holley 4-barrel carb and mine fits fine. It looks like your spacer ring may be too tall. My spacer ring is 1-3/4" tall overall and lifts the ribber seal off the air cleaner by 1-1/4".
Will the hood close if you remove the spacer ring altogether?

Skunk Works
302DZ, M22W Muncie, GV overdrive,12-Bolt Rear 3.73
Some photos:

Member # 159

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 08, 04:42 PM
Senior Tech
Brian

The only difference is the extension for a 302 is smaller at 2" because of the high rise winters forge intake. The 350 is larger. I would check the fit. They only go on one way. Do you have the thing on correctly. Looking at it, I can't see the piece that goes to the valve cover at the back of the passenger side with a grommet and and elbow and hose to hook up.
Is this for a Camaro, and where did you get it?

I have owned 3 69 Z/28s: Garnet Red 30,000 mi unrestored.
Glacier Blue, documented Canadian Z
Rallye Green purchased new in 1969
1968 Camaro Coupe L30 275 horse. ]
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 08, 06:46 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dan

It's mounted the right way. There's a dent in the back that helps it clear the distributor and the PCV tube is towards the rear pass side valve cover.

I bought it from a forum member. He had it for his Camaro, but never use it. Once I got it, I had it modified to get rid of the snorkel.

I didn't know the extra ring came off. It looked like it was permanently mounted to the lower portion. I think if I took that ring off, it might fit fine. I'll try to get that off in the morning. Thanks for the heads up.

Dan

1968 RS - Black

Click for Picture:

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 08, 08:13 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dan

The spacer ring does not separate from the lower portion. I tried to pull on it and beat it with a rubber mallet. It's not budging. It's a repop piece, so I guess they are different than the original GM parts.

The spacer ring on mine is about 2 1/4 inches tall. Should I cut the spacer ring down to about 1 3/4 inches and see if that works? I'd hate to waste the $200 I have into it by cutting it too short.

Dan

1968 RS - Black

Click for Picture:

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 08, 06:21 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Andrew

My spacer ring just lifts off of the air cleaner pan and the ring that holds the rubber seal just sits on the spacer ring. That yours doesn't separate puzzles me. I guess your choices are to either trim or buy a shorter ring or assembly.

Skunk Works
302DZ, M22W Muncie, GV overdrive,12-Bolt Rear 3.73
Some photos:

Member # 159
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 08, 06:25 AM
Senior Tech
rick

the spacer ring should separate from the base unless somebody spot welded it on. if you can lose the top spacer a 1" carb spacer under your base should be very close to the right height. look for the seam on the spacer and grind off the weld and try to peel it out. should come out.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 08, 11:18 AM
Senior Tech
Jon

Send a message via AIM to Rodder Send a message via Yahoo to Rodder

The space ring is a separate piece. Could it have gotten welded (or painted?) in place when your buddy removed the snorkel?

- LS1, T56, Hooker longtubes, Autokraft pan & mounts, GM LS7 clutch, Borla ProXS, Moser/Strange/Wilwood 9", Covans dash, UltraLite IIs, Procar Elites, Vintage Air GEN-IV, AGR 12:1 steering, Addco swaybars, Hydratech hydroboost
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 08, 11:25 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dan

I got the spacer ring off. It took a lot of beating with a rubber mallet. Also, where the patch was placed, a bit of filler and a small section of the patch was over the seam, so I had to use the dremel tool to cut it free.

Without the ring, I'm getting a full seal on the hood. Here's the final product. Before I start it up, I need to get a rubber plug or cap to seal off the PCV tube. I've already got the PCV routed behind the carb.

Dan

1968 RS - Black

Click for Picture:

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 08, 05:34 PM
Team Member
John

With no snorkel, where's the carb going to get air when the flapper valve in the hood is closed (or is it just open with no valve)?

JohnZ
CRG
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 08, 08:46 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dan

I didn't install the flapper. I got it with the kit I bought, but didn't want the snorkel, so I left it out.

The only downside I could see to not having the flapper would be that in a big downpour, I could wind up sucking water in through the cowl, but I think it would have to be a very heavy rain and this isn't a daily driver, so I'm not worried about it.

Dan

1968 RS - Black

Click for Picture:

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 08, 09:56 PM
Senior Tech
Jon

Send a message via AIM to Rodder Send a message via Yahoo to Rodder

I think the main reason for the underhood snorkel is to to suck hot air at low throttle angles to prevent carb icing. I don't think you'll have problems with carb icing in south Florida...

- LS1, T56, Hooker longtubes, Autokraft pan & mounts, GM LS7 clutch, Borla ProXS, Moser/Strange/Wilwood 9", Covans dash, UltraLite IIs, Procar Elites, Vintage Air GEN-IV, AGR 12:1 steering, Addco swaybars, Hydratech hydroboost
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode