Tunnel ram experts: carbs sitting inline or sideways? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 08, 07:04 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Tunnel ram experts: carbs sitting inline or sideways?

Well........I just got home from another crappy and expensive swap meet (the high desert meet in Central, Or). The only thing that was positive is that I made a nice score on a tunnel ram for my pro-street truck. It's a nice Weiand "high ram" and I only had to give $100 for it. Here is my 2 questions:

1) Why are the carb mounts at different heights (the front carb sets just a little higher than the rear)??

2) I really like the looks of the carbs setting sideways on a tunnel ram. I wanted to run dual 600 Holleys with the center hung bowls. Is there any + or - to running them sideways? It seems that one side of the block would be richer because the primarys would be shooting to the pass side. Is this a fallacy or is there some truth to it?? I realize the linkage is very simple too if you run them inline. Just wondering if it would run better as well. Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 08, 07:38 PM
Senior Tech
george

Re: Tunnel ram experts: carbs sitting inline or sideways?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubs68camaro View Post
Well........I just got home from another crappy and expensive swap meet (the high desert meet in Central, Or). The only thing that was positive is that I made a nice score on a tunnel ram for my pro-street truck. It's a nice Weiand "high ram" and I only had to give $100 for it. Here is my 2 questions:

1) Why are the carb mounts at different heights (the front carb sets just a little higher than the rear)??

2) I really like the looks of the carbs setting sideways on a tunnel ram. I wanted to run dual 600 Holleys with the center hung bowls. Is there any + or - to running them sideways? It seems that one side of the block would be richer because the primarys would be shooting to the pass side. Is this a fallacy or is there some truth to it?? I realize the linkage is very simple too if you run them inline. Just wondering if it would run better as well. Thanks!
Not sure on the carb mount.Most carb mounting surfaces are layed out..so the carb is reletively flat when installed on an engine with x number of degrees of rearward angle.
As for the side saddle vs inline.Pros and cons.You have a large plenum area directly under the carbs.Side saddle or inline at low rpm and intake pulses should be a mute point with the shared large plenum.Side saddle requires a somewhat more complicated linkage vs inline..but does allow you to pull bowls and metering blocks with out touching the linkage or cracking a base plate fastener.Inline also makes it tough to run secondary metering blocks due to length.There are aftermarket fixes for this..but the $,s add up also.Both setups will be fine imo if setup correctly.I doubt on the street that your seat-o-meter will feel the diff between side saddle and inline.Street T-rams with long runners and small cross section can deliver good driveability contrary to popular belief.A well matched intake/single 4 bbl will deliver the same results but I give you a thumbs up for wow factor and the willingness to take on a dual carb tuneup.

George
68 Camaro
8-71 blown 461 Rat on E-85

Last edited by fatblock; Sep 6th, 08 at 07:49 PM. Reason: edit
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 08, 08:00 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I guess I should add, after I thank you for the info, that I am doing this for the "wow" factor and not streetablilty or more HP. I know my current setup is best for power. This is strickly for the "kerchug.....kerchug" around town, and I wouldn't do this to my fastback or a camaro. I figure my truck is a perfect candidate and the tunnel ram will complement the huge tires I just upgraded on the back.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 08, 09:30 PM
Senior Tech
Harley D

with most tunnel rams if you run center hung Holley's they have to run sideways, but if you run side hung Holley's or a carter/AFB style carb you can run them in-line. There are adjustable progressive throttle kits for both set-ups on the market.

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."-Dr. Seuss
We learn life's important lessons in kindergarten.

Harley D
'67 coupe 427SBC
60'1.728
1/[email protected]

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 08, 10:05 PM
Senior Tech
george

Dubs..the t-ram thru the hood of the pickup compliments the big tires.maybe it is just me..but dual air filters are in order vs hilborn/bug catchers/shotgun style blower scoops.A couple of 3310 k&n,s atop your choice of carbs would be sweeeet imo.Nice ride ..I luv old iron pickups.When i retire..my daily driver will be a a 68 chevy pickup with an inline 6 and 3 in the tree.No power anything.Just the windows down and the pup wrapping his tongue around his neck riding shotgun.

George
68 Camaro
8-71 blown 461 Rat on E-85
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 08, 10:45 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Harley

Send a message via Yahoo to wiskeesour

DUBS, I gotta have that truck...WOW factor is already there for me....Olive(?) green 68. Nice.

AE2(AW) Harley Moody, USNavy
"Master-at-Arms" for the CDWJB!!
November 26th, 2008 was my last day to serve my country as a member of the World's Greatest Navy.
Thanks Chief.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 08, 11:48 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

It's a weird olive/puke green/cheap gold color. I have done a few more things since these pics. Bigger tires on back......sanded and I'm starting to body work the rear fender wells. I'm also starting to weld up some of the extra hole that other owners have put in it. I'm not planning on ever painting it though. Everyone that sees it in person love the original, faded look to it. It's quite rust free too. Just a little surface stuff here and there.

Sorry George but I'm a Hilborn nut. My last tunnel ram car had the bird catcher and I'm not a big fan of the double barrel shotgun scoop. I think the Hilborn keeps it a little dated. The cool thing is that once it's on, I can mess with different setups. Hell....maybe I'll even run a couple of those 3 foot velocity stacks you sometimes see!!! LOL

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 08, 03:37 AM
Senior Tech
Levi

So its a sleeper with huge tires . Major kudos man I love it! Lets see some more engine skin.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 08, 06:34 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave C

Send a message via AIM to Pro-Street69Camaro468 Send a message via Yahoo to Pro-Street69Camaro468

Where are the chairs, milk crates...lol...Looks like a fun driver keep us posted...

PRO.ST69orange

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 08, 07:07 AM
Senior Tech
Matt

Ok, here is my two cents on this. I have run a weiand tunnel ram on my small block for over twenty years. I originally started out with two 8007 390 single inlet carbs mounted inline. These are vac secondary carbs and it ran well on the street with plenty of power. I then really got into the local drag racing scene and changed out the holleys for two predators. BIG mistake. After spending cubic dollars to have these carbs modified by predator the car never ran right. Big time rich and high idle.
swiched to two 600 holleys inline and didn't notice any improvement over the 390's.
Finally switched back to the 390's, this time sidemounted with center hung bowls. Works great, looks trick. I run the mr gasket stret scoop with no hood.
My engine specs are: 355, full ported 292 heads,msd dist with vac advance hooked up, comp cams xtreme energy 274 cam, hooker 1-3/4 headers.
I run a Dynamic Racing turbo 350 full manual with a 3800 stall converter. I have 4.10 gears and 275-60-15 Mccrearys.
The key is to adjust the idle using the primary idle screw and the secondary stop under the carb. Power valve are 4.5 and out of the box jetting. I don't have the vac cans referenced to each other and have a crane adjustable vac advance. Timing is 36 deg all in by 2800, initial at 12. I have driven this combo many mles without issue.
If you need more info contact me at [email protected]

'68 Camaro SS. Dealer for American made performance & restoration parts.
Check my site
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 08, 08:37 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by chassisboy View Post
I have run a weiand tunnel ram on my small block for over twenty years.
What kind of started this idea was that I drove the below car to school each day in 1986...my senior year. It was a budget motor. Nothing special. Flat tops and a 2 bolt. It did have some good fuelies with 202's machined in them. I ran a 12.35 best in the 1/4 before I dumped the 4.88's. It had little cheapy Holley 600 vacs and the thing spun up to about 7K.

It, like my truck, had a Pete Jackson noisey gear drive and everyone thought it was blown. I think the PJ's are the best cut gear drive and don't sound ratty at all. I'm not trying to fake anyone out. The gear drive has been in since day one because I like to be different and I like the sound.

If you can believe this.....you are looking at a true 70 1/2 RS Z28 before their values exploded. Does a 6pt. roll bar add to value????

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode