Where to buy Q Jet ? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 08, 08:53 AM Thread Starter

Where to buy Q Jet ?

As much as I hate it, I cannot get my 72 SBC Vette to stop stranding me. The carb runs great up to a certain temp and then .... at a busy intersection....goes full RICH and dies. Requires WOT to re-start and then makes a lot of black smoke. It continues to do this for the rest of the trip. Wasn't sure I was going to get it home yesterday. After it cools off, it runs fine again only to repeat this again.

Where would you buy a good rebuilt Q - Jet??

Over the years I have had POOR results from the discount stores.

How about a Holly rebuilt Q - Jet from Summit ?

Suggestions please > Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 08, 10:03 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Re: Where to buy Q Jet ?

Napa

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 08, 10:36 AM
Senior Tech
Kurt

Why not contact Sean At SMI. He is one of our sponsors. Discounts for TC members.
He is on the Sponsor list.https://www.camaros.net/sponsors/
I am very satisfied with my restored Rochester from him.

Kurt
1969RS 14yrs into it.
383CID Lives
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
200R4 Trans, 3:42 Posi 12 Bolt Ready

Cold ones in the fridge. Dam, there gone. BRB

Getting closer to my goal.

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 08, 01:05 PM
Senior Tech
Tom

Smile Re: Where to buy Q Jet ?

Have Sean at SMI rebuild your present carb., and save some bucks !

69 Camaro -originally a LM1 car. 327, Edelbrock E-streets, hooker, DUI performance distributors, ultradyne cam, stewart, TRW etc. Vintage Air, AGR steering, Corbeau GTSII seats, 700R4 transmission, 12-bolt w/Eaton 4.11:1
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 08, 01:17 PM
Banned
Ron

I have a complete, rebuildable Q-jet core available, which happened to come off a sbc Corvette....Let me know if you're interested.....Ron
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 08, 01:46 PM
Senior Tech
Charlie

I just sent an SMI stage 2 Q-Jet back because it ran like crap right out of the box. I tried everything he suggested and it still ran like crap. The idle mixture screws made the RPM's increase when screwed all the way in, the carb made no power at any RPM except off idle, when going to WOT under 2000rpm in high gear(Powerglide) the car fell on its face, and the idle was horrible. Set idle to 850rpm in neutral/650 in drive. After up to operating temp when I would come to a light, I would have to put it in neutral and step on throttle to keep from stalling. He may be better at a standard rebuild, but as far as performance, I am not too sure.

Charlie Knudsen 67 Camaro RS/SS 350 TKO 600, 4.10's, AFR 195 Street Heads, Comp 270H, Rhoads Lifters, Crane Ignition, Pertronix Dizzy, Performer RPM Q-Jet, Heavily Modified Q-Jet, Hooker Comp Headers, MagnaFlow 2 1/2", 144 Decibles(Alpine CDA-7998 Head Unit, RF X7 and RF 750X Amps, MB Quart Mid's & High's, Kicker L7 12" Solo Barics)
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 08, 05:08 PM
Senior Tech
Kurt

Hey Charlie,

Keep us posted on the outcome.

Recently I posted a carb question with my resto rebuild/mod from sean and The carb was not my problem.

Even though I sprayed carb cleaner around the base, it never made any change with my RPM. So I temporarily replaced the TV cable bracket and paper thin gaskets with a standard gasket and wola! "Vacuum leak"
So now I know where my problem is.
From what I can see it looks like the TV cable bracket I have from Bowtie OD is warped.

Kurt
1969RS 14yrs into it.
383CID Lives
200R4 Trans, 3:42 Posi 12 Bolt Ready

Cold ones in the fridge. Dam, there gone. BRB

Getting closer to my goal.

post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 08, 08:01 AM
Senior Tech
Charlie

I have a Powerglide so no TV cable, but I went over EVERYTHING I could think of and even went over the things Sean suggested and still no luck. Here is something funny. Mat Klemp sent me one of his Q-Jet that he modified like Sean does and from point one the carb ran great. I did notice that on the SMI unit, when I got took the carb out of the box and operated the secondary air valve hold off, if I pushed it in and released it, it just opened up. The carb I got from Mat, when I pushed in the hold off and released it, it made a sort of whistle noise as it was opening up. I thing that the hold off on the SMI unit was bad. I think it was leaking internally. It didn't feel the same when I pushed it in either. It was much looser than Mat's carb. Here is another thing. After installing the SMI carb and having the issues it had, I removed it and reinstalled my Edelbrock Thunder 650 and the car/engine ran GREAT. I did nothing except for swapping the Q-Jet for the Thunder 650, NOTHING AT ALL. That right there tells me that something was wrong with the carb. I swapped the two carbs out numerous times and each time the Q-Jet was on, it ran like crap. As soon as I reinstalled the Edelbrock, BAM, Performance was back. Mat's Q-Jet gave me NONE of the issues that the SMI carb did, but it still was a little sluggish on the top end. I think it is still a little too lean. Q-Jets are extremely lean from the beginning. Mat and Sean richen them up, but I don't think they went rich enough. I am not giving up on my search for a performance Q-Jet. I have 2 cores I am going to rebuild and tweek and go richer with. I think with a richer power circuit I will get what I am after. From the writing on the secondary air valve, it looks like Mat has a 76 jet installed. I am going to go richer than that. First I am going to set it up like Mat, but with a different metering rod and holder.

Charlie Knudsen 67 Camaro RS/SS 350 TKO 600, 4.10's, AFR 195 Street Heads, Comp 270H, Rhoads Lifters, Crane Ignition, Pertronix Dizzy, Performer RPM Q-Jet, Heavily Modified Q-Jet, Hooker Comp Headers, MagnaFlow 2 1/2", 144 Decibles(Alpine CDA-7998 Head Unit, RF X7 and RF 750X Amps, MB Quart Mid's & High's, Kicker L7 12" Solo Barics)
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 08, 08:52 AM
Senior Tech
Tom

Smile Re: Where to buy Q Jet ?

Why didn't you keep Matt's Q-jet ? Is Sean at SMI sending you a different one ? Bad parts happen. Doesn't mean it can't be fixed. It does sound like someone at SMI dropped the ball. Let Sean, fix the problem. (The carbs. and something to restore the customer's faith !)

69 Camaro -originally a LM1 car. 327, Edelbrock E-streets, hooker, DUI performance distributors, ultradyne cam, stewart, TRW etc. Vintage Air, AGR steering, Corbeau GTSII seats, 700R4 transmission, 12-bolt w/Eaton 4.11:1
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 08, 11:20 AM
Senior Tech
Charlie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJS69 View Post
Why didn't you keep Matt's Q-jet ? Is Sean at SMI sending you a different one ? Bad parts happen. Doesn't mean it can't be fixed. It does sound like someone at SMI dropped the ball. Let Sean, fix the problem. (The carbs. and something to restore the customer's faith !)

Sean said he wouldn't feel comfortable sending me another carb because he ran it all weekend on his car and he didn't have any problems. I asked him to fix whatever was wrong with it and send it back, but he sent me a refund check instead. I think the secondary air valve vacuum hold off was bad and was leaking. He wouldn't fix it. Instead he sent me a refund. I didn't want the refund, I wanted a Q-Jet that worked and I told him that on numerous occasions. I couldn't have been more clear about my wanting his Q-Jet to work so I could use it, but he wouldn't repair it.
As far as keeping Mat's, I sent him an email asking if he wanted to part with it. I haven't received a response yet. I can understand if he doesn't want to sell it. Either way, I think it will have to be richened up. It feels like it, as well as the one from Sean, was too lean. Q-Jets are extremely lean from the get go. From the reading I have seen, they were an emissions carb and not initially intended for performance. I know they ran them on Camaros, Chevelles, etc, etc, but I mean performance above the norm. Performance that requires jet replacement and circuit modification. I have also read of a modification to the idle mixture screw ports that allows more adjustment. The normal is 3-4 turns out to get a stable idle. This mod allows for 2 or so turns to get a stable idle. Allows for a much richer mixture, if needed. I am not giving up. I WILL HAVE A PERFORMANCE Q-JET IF IT'S THE LAST THING I DO!!! I have 2 cores, but what I really want to know is how they get that nice dichromate finish? How can the average person get that on their Q-Jet?

post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 08, 02:27 PM
Senior Tech
Tom

Strange... about Sean. Have you tried a Jet (brand) Q-jet from Summit ?

post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 08, 05:54 PM
Senior Tech
Charlie

Yeah I thought that was odd too. It was like he didn't want to bother with me or something. Honestly, that was the vibe I got. He didn't do too much to try to figure out what was wrong. He just send it back and I'll send you a refund. I have to say that I was not too impressed with my whole experience as far as SMI is concerned. A rather new business and I would think he would try to get all the customers he could and keep them in the process, but I guess not. If it were me, I would have at least had my customer try another carb first. It could have been a fluke. I am sure that Sean does not build EVERY carb that goes out of SMI so I know from personal experience that one can slip through the cracks. Take the carb back, go through it with a fine tooth comb, repair whatever the problem is and send it back and try again. To me, that would have gotten more respect from me than just, "Send the carb back and I'll refund your money". Why not try to fix the problem. If we could have figured it out, then I would have definately gone back to him when I buy a Q-Jet for my 69, but not no way in hell now. Sorry.

No I haven't. I have a feeling that the Jet units are jetted the same as Sean's are. They are quite a bit more money than the SMI unit and if I am still going to have to jet it richer(spend more money), I may just do one myself. I just got the book I ordered, How to Rebuild and Modify Rochesters by Cliff Ruggles. According to this book, I have a 800cfm core sitting in my basement. I think I may rebuild and modify it following the book to the letter. Only I am going to richen it up a bit in the secondaries. The carb Mat lent me felt like it was a little lean.

post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 08, 06:19 PM
Senior Tech
Chad

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67CamaroRS/SS View Post
I think I may rebuild and modify it following the book to the letter.
If you want something done right do it yourself.

67 Plum Mist Met. 408 TH350 3.08 posi

post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 08, 07:07 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67CamaroRS/SS View Post
Yeah I thought that was odd too. It was like he didn't want to bother with me or something. Honestly, that was the vibe I got. He didn't do too much to try to figure out what was wrong. He just send it back and I'll send you a refund. I have to say that I was not too impressed with my whole experience as far as SMI is concerned. A rather new business and I would think he would try to get all the customers he could and keep them in the process, but I guess not. If it were me, I would have at least had my customer try another carb first. It could have been a fluke. I am sure that Sean does not build EVERY carb that goes out of SMI so I know from personal experience that one can slip through the cracks. Take the carb back, go through it with a fine tooth comb, repair whatever the problem is and send it back and try again. To me, that would have gotten more respect from me than just, "Send the carb back and I'll refund your money". Why not try to fix the problem. If we could have figured it out, then I would have definately gone back to him when I buy a Q-Jet for my 69, but not no way in hell now. Sorry.

No I haven't. I have a feeling that the Jet units are jetted the same as Sean's are. They are quite a bit more money than the SMI unit and if I am still going to have to jet it richer(spend more money), I may just do one myself. I just got the book I ordered, How to Rebuild and Modify Rochesters by Cliff Ruggles. According to this book, I have a 800cfm core sitting in my basement. I think I may rebuild and modify it following the book to the letter. Only I am going to richen it up a bit in the secondaries. The carb Mat lent me felt like it was a little lean.
Charlie, after hearing your QJ woes, I really think you'd benefit from an A/F meter. I got the Innovate LM-1 and have been messing with my ratio on my QJ. You'll actually have data to make your changes by-You can change your secondary rods in about 2 minutes and get a WOT readout immediately!

And FWIW, I don't know how SMI jets them but I've got the JET Stage 1 and it's jetted with .073 jets and 41 rods on the primaries and 'DR' rods on the secondaries. The Edelbrock #1910 QJs are .074/50 with 'CE' secondary rods. My original(i think) QJ has.071/45 and 'AN' secondaries. It surprised me but the resulting jet area on the Edelbrock primaries is almost exactly the same as my original.

'67 rs - ordered new by my Grandfather
327 L30, K-K, Deluxe int, tach & gauges, 12 bolt posi, 4 speed.

-
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 08, 07:01 AM
Senior Tech
Charlie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose RS View Post
Charlie, after hearing your QJ woes, I really think you'd benefit from an A/F meter. I got the Innovate LM-1 and have been messing with my ratio on my QJ. You'll actually have data to make your changes by-You can change your secondary rods in about 2 minutes and get a WOT readout immediately!

And FWIW, I don't know how SMI jets them but I've got the JET Stage 1 and it's jetted with .073 jets and 41 rods on the primaries and 'DR' rods on the secondaries. The Edelbrock #1910 QJs are .074/50 with 'CE' secondary rods. My original(i think) QJ has.071/45 and 'AN' secondaries. It surprised me but the resulting jet area on the Edelbrock primaries is almost exactly the same as my original.
I think you may be right. I think I need an air/fuel meter. They seem to be the way to go to get it dead nuts on.

As far as the SMI unit, I am a little fuzzy with the numbering. Is the higher the number on the jet, the richer it is? .074 is what, the secondary jet size and 50 is what, the primary jet size? What do you mean by AN secondaries? DR rods? 41 rods? I am lost with this. I am used to Edelbrock .101, .098, .095 jets and rods are .073 x .037, .070 x .042, like that. Even the rod hangers on Q-Jets make a difference. This is going to take some getting used to. I just got to the point where I am good with the Edelbrock and now I feel like an idiot all over again.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode