Trouble cranking 1994 Z-28 LT-1 - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old Dec 15th, 08, 05:05 PM Thread Starter

Trouble cranking 1994 Z-28 LT-1

1994 Z-28 LT-1
Ok , on Fri morn. wife gets in car, puts in prolock killswitch chip and started the car ,just fine ,27 degrees F outside ,she then realized ,the wiper was frozen to windshield ,so she shut off car and went and fixed wiper ,then gets in car and trys to start it and nothing...Just hear fuel or whatever that hum is ,no normal clicking...Now ,I will tell you that we have also put 5-6 starters in it since 04 ,but whenever it eats a starter it does so ,violently and on 1st crank...and there are always pieces...Starter has been best yet ,and all looks good ,all has power...Later that day ,I tried to dump clutch and it would not ,stay running... it would start and as soon as I let off gas it would die...
I have been told all the way from a BS ,blown head gasket to a bad starter relay ,and now ,I am almost convinced it is a failing prolock system ,as any other time when a starter went out it would still jump off and run...
Sec light blinks (like always) just dead as doornail...Someone has said security light on means failing security ...and I say ,it has ALWAYS blinked and when started gos off...it not running when I dump clutch ,tells me injectors are not working...Thus ,maybe bad prolock...
None of previous starters died like this...And I took great care and this starter is like 6 mos. old...Worked one min ,didnt the next...
Not like any of the others...I have even smacked with hammer lightly ,I just dont believe its the starter...

I want to get this prolock out ,and can give wiring description as I have seen so far...
Any clues would be greatly appreciated...
Thanks, yakster333
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old Dec 15th, 08, 09:01 PM
Senior Tech
Andy

Send a message via AIM to 67SS&99SS
Re: Trouble cranking 1994 Z-28 LT-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakster333 View Post
1994 Z-28 LT-1
Ok , on Fri morn. wife gets in car, puts in prolock killswitch chip and started the car ,just fine ,27 degrees F outside ,she then realized ,the wiper was frozen to windshield ,so she shut off car and went and fixed wiper ,then gets in car and trys to start it and nothing...Just hear fuel or whatever that hum is ,no normal clicking...Now ,I will tell you that we have also put 5-6 starters in it since 04 ,but whenever it eats a starter it does so ,violently and on 1st crank...and there are always pieces...Starter has been best yet ,and all looks good ,all has power...Later that day ,I tried to dump clutch and it would not ,stay running... it would start and as soon as I let off gas it would die...
I have been told all the way from a BS ,blown head gasket to a bad starter relay ,and now ,I am almost convinced it is a failing prolock system ,as any other time when a starter went out it would still jump off and run...
Sec light blinks (like always) just dead as doornail...Someone has said security light on means failing security ...and I say ,it has ALWAYS blinked and when started gos off...it not running when I dump clutch ,tells me injectors are not working...Thus ,maybe bad prolock...
None of previous starters died like this...And I took great care and this starter is like 6 mos. old...Worked one min ,didnt the next...
Not like any of the others...I have even smacked with hammer lightly ,I just dont believe its the starter...

I want to get this prolock out ,and can give wiring description as I have seen so far...
Any clues would be greatly appreciated...
Thanks, yakster333
Check out http://www.camaroz28.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9 It is an LT1 based forum. If it runs and then dies when you let off the gas, it sounds like a throttle position sensor issue.

1967 Camaro SS: 406 sbc, 522hp/514 ft lbs, Doug's 1 3/4" headers, M20, posi, 3.73's, vintage air gen IV, IROC steering box, Comp Eng. weld-in sfc's & traction bars, chrome US Mags

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old Dec 15th, 08, 09:25 PM Thread Starter

TY ,will do..
Am lost ... Doin my best fer the records...

Thanks, yakster333

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old Dec 15th, 08, 10:22 PM
Senior Tech
Andy

Send a message via AIM to 67SS&99SS

no problem. let us know what you find out.

1967 Camaro SS: 406 sbc, 522hp/514 ft lbs, Doug's 1 3/4" headers, M20, posi, 3.73's, vintage air gen IV, IROC steering box, Comp Eng. weld-in sfc's & traction bars, chrome US Mags

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old Dec 16th, 08, 04:34 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakster333 View Post
so she shut off car and went and fixed wiper ,then gets in car and trys to start it and nothing...Just hear fuel or whatever that hum is ,no normal clicking...Sec light blinks (like always) just dead as doornail...Someone has said security light on means failing security ...and I say ,it has ALWAYS blinked and when started gos off...

I want to get this prolock out ,and can give wiring description as I have seen so far...Thanks, yakster333
If security light is blinking, then VATS is not satisfied - chip in the key is not being read by the tumbler socket and VATS module is keeping starter from not working.

Once a start attempt is made and no start, turn off and remove key. Wait 3-4 minutes and restart with same key - engine will start - providing other external aftermarket systems are not in the picture.

If engine starts, then the tumbler (key socket) in the column needs replacing. Can be gotten from any GM dealer and requires documents of legal ownership.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old Dec 16th, 08, 05:58 AM Thread Starter

I just tried what you suggested 2 times and same thing ,Dead...I dont drive the car and we have been together 13 yrs (so I trust her judgement) and I have grilled her on this and she is for sure it ,always blinked ,before cranking...and then she said after running ,it has always went out...I can solve this VATS Idea later today, hopefully ,as there is another key ,just have to go get it later ...This Key was bought at GM Dealer ,maybe 2 years ago ,we had them make this copy,so it isnt even worn...I think it was very exspensive too...

Thank you for trying to help me get this car going ...I really do appreciate it...

Thanks ,Yakster333
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old Dec 16th, 08, 10:04 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

The key is not the culprit. Its the socket reading the key.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old Dec 16th, 08, 10:38 AM Thread Starter

Well ,my situation limits me to spending $0.00 and am recovering from a heart attack...
If this is my problem ,will what this guy says in this link work???

http://vats.likeabigdog.com/

Thanks ,Yakster333
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old Dec 16th, 08, 11:02 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

This would be it.

'
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old Dec 16th, 08, 11:21 AM Thread Starter

I have just walked down to car after reading some on vats ,but I was trying to notice anything ,I might have missed ...
I did find new info ,when I turn key ,to try and start ,I am hearing a clicking in dash each time I try ,It sounds almost like an old flasher would sound ,only when and as I turn key to try and crank...Also the volt meter moves a hair upwards as I am trying to crank...???

Thanks ,Yakster333
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old Dec 16th, 08, 03:53 PM
Senior Tech
Michael

Its most likely the security system like they are saying, it could be the security system is going bad but thats pretty rare really only happens when someone wires an aftermarket one on top.

The click is most likely due to the security disabling the cranking and run feature.
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old Dec 16th, 08, 04:59 PM Thread Starter

I agree its got to do with security ,I have Bro-in-law tryin to help me figure it out ,long distance on net...
Points of interest
Car wont crank
Car wont run when dump clutch
This definately tells me its a security problem ,trouble is
It seems to have 2 different ones...
1-VATS
2-Prolock killswitch chip and little cube ,(brain) I assume...

I am not sure but I think they both disable ,the starter and Fuel Injection
Explaining why it wouldnt run...

I went and bought a multi meter ,so if I can use it to solve this ,I'd greatly appreciate someone walkin me thru it ,if they would be so kind...

Thanks,Yakster333

P.S. wasnt able to get spare key today...
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old Dec 16th, 08, 07:26 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

I would think if you pulled the fuse for the Prolock, and if its installed correctly, should default to the operating condition. Again, I'm assuming this function as I do not have an installation manual in front of me to read, I could be wrong. If not, then a poorly designed system.

Secondly, OE VATS is preventing the engine from starting all the time as you stated the engine does start intermittently. The VATS is either being satisfied by reading the key chip the first time or the time elapsed between start attempts........Just my thoughts.

'
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 08, 10:49 PM
Senior Tech
Michael

I don't think the system works like that. IF the brain is going bad and you pull the fuse it defaults to not start. I mean how easy would it be for a crook to pull the relay on the security brain then and start the car and take off???

If that is the problem it has to be replaced or your out of luck. Have you tried locking and unlocking the car (disabling/enabling/disabling) the alarm then popping the clutch with the key in run?? Because if you do this it will disable the security disable function on the system and let it run if its having a security issue. If the brain is dead or the vats isn't working like u suspect I dont think this will solve it.

There are ways to bypass the vat's if you don't have that let me know and I have it stuffed away somewhere. That way we could get to the bottom of it for sure.
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old Dec 19th, 08, 03:24 PM Thread Starter

Ok ,I took out prolock system and was left too connect ,2 yellow car wires...
Still have sec light blinking and does until , I turn switch off...
Now should I start on bypassing VATS???

Thanks ,Yakster333
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode