Help - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old Dec 15th, 08, 10:48 PM Thread Starter

Help

ok i guess u can can help me out
today i bought a 1998 camaro 3.8 v6 series 2
firday i test drove it everything was fine car blew out heat
ran good but need a belt..everything was great no engine check light i live in milwaukee the car was bout 100 miles way...
temps dropped very low out here -16 wind chill colder up north
so i get the car monday n theres a problem cars not blowing out any heat
didnt think to much of it cause it was cold outside waited 10 mins decided to get on the highway to drive back home...filled the tank up but while im waiting the car starts to rev on its on..now ive asked the man about an oil change n he said about a month ago but he hasnt been driving the car...so i thought it was all good..now back to the freeway. im doing 70 then the car starts making weird noises like there's something loose on the engine sounds like a chain or something still no heat..the car starts to die i pull over side of the road n the engine cuts off( the engine has been replaced 60,000 miles on it)i leave it sit for a while try to crank it over again it starts but i head knocking now put more oil n the car n the car starts to smoke...so i let it run for a while n itcuts off again..now when i try to put it n drive i hear knockin n a raddling sound from under the hood..not sure wats going on but my cuzin says it could be a bent crack shaft.....some one help me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old Dec 16th, 08, 03:36 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Kevin

Re: Help

Sounds like you ran the car without antifreeze and overheated it. It may have had a leak without you knowing it or even a blown head gasket. Check fluid levels. You may have roasted the motor

Kev
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old Dec 16th, 08, 08:54 AM
Senior Tech

You said you added more oil. Did it need it? If that engine used that much oil and blows no heat because the antifreeze is gone you need to get your money back.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old Dec 16th, 08, 09:48 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
BILL

Did the block freeze???
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old Dec 16th, 08, 10:42 AM Thread Starter

i put more oil n the carn the gauge went to like the middle of the oil gauage..im going to trn to put some antifreeze n the car that car ran for about 30 mins last night with no problems but still no heat blowing out
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old Dec 16th, 08, 10:43 AM Thread Starter

how do u know knoe if the block freeze?
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 08, 04:54 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
BILL

Well.. If you got it running the block proball didnt freeze....you might want to pull the therm. Out and make sure you have got a.f in the block and run it with out a therm. Also check the heater control valve by the firewall to make sure its sliding back and forth...
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 08, 06:27 AM Thread Starter

new news last night i had it running fr about n hour put 2 more quarts of oil n the car...i olny put 2 n on tha high was tha car ran fine..but there was a loud noise once it started i dont think the fan was spinning..also theres a whole n the antifreeze it leaked all over the floor the oil gauge is n the middle now...the engine got hot but still no hot air was blowing out...i put the car n drive n i could feel tha car shaking..exhuats was clear i didnt see any white exhuast after awhile..theres kinda of a knockin noise also
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 08, 08:15 AM
Senior Tech

You need to keep a very close eye on the oil level! Is it overfull now? It sounds like you have added 4 quarts of oil in very few miles! That means it only had one quart of the 5 required! If the fan isn't turning, that could mean the water pump isn't turning either. If the water pump isn't turning you won't get any heat out of the heater. It also means you are destroying the engine due to overheating! Check your belts! IF the belts are good, make sure the oil level is full and the radiator is full, then start the car with the radiator cap off and see if the water is circulating when the water temperature is up to normal. If everything checks out, you might then need to backflush the heater core before the hot water can circulate. First things first though, you really need to cure the oil consumption and loss of antifreeze problems first or it won't matter if the heater works or not because your time will be spent replacing the engine!
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 08, 08:55 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
BILL

Where did the af leak out...you said the floor(garage floor or the floorboard of the car?) if it leaked out the floorboard possible Heater core..ELECTRIC FAN OR CLUTCH FAN?? SHOULD BE ELE.also look for the weep holes at the water pump, should be two of them, see if its wet or leaking there..
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 08, 10:40 AM Thread Starter

naw its about 4 quarts of oil n it..the man told me that the water pump is new n so are all of the wire ect..all my belts are good..how do i flush the radiator...the antifreeze is on the garage floor electric fan..should i get the radiator flused at fast track or something..also when i cut the ar off it sounded like it was drink something like swallowing a fluid..
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 08, 11:38 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
BILL

sounds like an air pocket in the cooling system.. if its gurgling..get a flush done thatll get to the bottom of that....and it will release any air pockets...air pockets cause no heat..(p.s. change the oil and start from the beginning with that too....)
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 08, 12:13 PM Thread Starter

also the check engine light is on...it stays on for a while then it flashes....how can i flush the radaitor
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 08, 12:15 PM Thread Starter

this is my first camaro
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 08, 03:01 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
BILL

if the check engine light flashes its a misfire code....means a its not running on all 6....you can flush the rad by pulling both hoses off (at the top of the rad. and the bottom) and running a garden hose at the top and let in run out the bottom...(TILL YOU SEE CLEAN WATER)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode