The truth about Holley milled off choke air horns!! - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 08, 07:18 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

The truth about Holley milled off choke air horns!!

NO....I don't have the truth....I was hoping you did!!!!

I've been told that when you mill off the choke tower on Holleys, you change the metering needs of the carburetor. My question is how in the heck do you know what it now needs. I'm thinking about milling them off on my little 450's I'm going to run on my tunnel ram. I'm wondering if, for a street application, I should even worry about this slight change. I'm also wondering if, for a street application, I should even worry about milling them because it's not going to make a difference at all (at least that I would notice). Any thoughts???

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 08, 11:47 AM
Senior Tech
Jeff

Re: The truth about Holley milled off choke air horns!!

Best bet would be to talk to a reputable carb builder.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 08, 11:49 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
BILL

bill mitchell .com(the best info around on carbs) other than here of course....

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 08, 12:17 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Yrs ago, before the 'net, I considered doing this..in our climite dont need a choke...did a lot of reading..there where quite a few articules on how to, but also a lot on dont..I think including Smokey Yunk
Cant rem the whys, think along the lines to do with air flow.
I ended up just removing the choke butterflys and linkages.

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 08, 12:29 PM
Senior Tech
Jeff

The Holley HP series don't have a choke horn, but the metering blocks are different too.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 08, 01:21 PM
Senior Tech
Sean

It's for airflow. Basically if you change the way the carb flows you need to re tune the carb, so you would need to re adjust after milling. Probably will need to fatten it up a scoche, but you really never know what the motor wants or will do following a change (like anything else on it).
As for your situation, I don't think I'd worry about it too much, the gain will probably be minimal if at all.

Sean

1968 rs with an old school 354" SB2.2 pump gas motor.

Repetition does not transform a lie into a truth.

Franklin D. Roosevelt
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 08, 01:43 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Fred

Bend Oregon!? You need a choke! Unless you're like me and don't drive until spring.

One owner 69 Camaro,(yep, bought it new
)
RS SS Hugger Orange, L88, 4:10's tru-tack posi, ducted hood, Endura, spoilers.
TH400 (CX) with Coan 8" converter, GV-OD, 8 track still on console and best et 10.495,
128.79mph 1.428 60'
All with 1960's stuff. (except tires and converter)
+ MT Super Scavenger headers & 3" full exhaust with X pipe. 3700 lbs. with me in it.
1000cfm AED and HD Harold-Lunati SR, 725 lift with shaft rockers too.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 08, 05:37 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Ficarra View Post
Bend Oregon!? You need a choke! Unless you're like me and don't drive until spring.
Dis Ting aint seeing no road time until May-June!

Fred.....where I have a snow problem....you have a rain problem!!!!
Like your videos though.

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 08, 06:12 PM
Senior Tech
jeff

If the car is running fine with the choke horn on it then I would leave it.
If your racing the car and your trying to squeeze every bit out of the car you can then cut them off. JMO

1969 X66 PROJECT:

2002 C5 COUPE ELECTRON BLUE SOLD
1987 BUICK GRAND NATIONAL SOLD
1964 CHEVY II 406 SOLD
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 08, 06:57 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

naw.....not racing them. I think I had better leave them alone. This is just a stop-light-to-stop-light truck.

I'm stoked....I just picked up my Hilborn scoop off a guy in Houston for $80!!! yaaaaaaya

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 08, 07:14 PM
Senior Tech
george

Dubs..my choke horns are coming off the 2x4 850 dp,s this winter.I run a hilborn type scoop with k&n 3310 filters inside.It will be my attempt to smooth out and balance the air flow into the primarys with limited ceiling height between the carb and filter top.
Now if I was running a single 4 bbl with underhood clearance..I would be fine with a 14x4 filter and maybe add an extreme lid and the horn would be of no concern to me.
If overall height is not an issue..maybe a filtered set of velocity stacks would look cool atop the 2x4 ram and balance out vs tight turns with small filters and horns.
retain the horns?...yes if you have large filters.Mill the horns?..yes if you have low ceiling height.Mill the horns even with a big filter..yep.
imo..Holley plays it safe to meet the needs of all,but only you can dial in your specific combo.

George
68 Camaro
8-71 blown 461 Rat on E-85
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 18th, 08, 07:08 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

You know George.....that's exactly why I started thinking about it in the first place. I am running a Hilborn and there is not much room back there for that 2nd carb to breathe. Since my carbs will be sideways (I just bought my Enderle linkage off eBay) it will be easy to make jetting adjustments. No way I'm running a cheap paper filter though. Gotta go with the K&N's or something like that.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode