Unheated garage, engine protection question - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 08, 10:13 PM Thread Starter
DHH
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Unheated garage, engine protection question

I am curious, I just finished my new engine before the weather went to hell. It's broken in and running well. I changed the mostly water coolant to a mix that reads -20 on the cheapie guage I bought years ago. Logic tells me I will be fine here in the Chicago area. The weather so far has me wondering if the members North of me use heated dipsticks etc. when the weather gets to zero or less. I am uncomfortable with most electrical heaters in the garage without someone there to check on them frequently. What do you use, heated oil pan blankets, dipsticks or just trust the $7 prestone guage?
Thanks
Don

Some videos I'v made for youtube

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 08, 10:28 PM
Senior Tech
Alex Folino

Send a message via AIM to AlexFolino
Re: Unheated garage, engine protection question

Personally i cant see what would happen to it as long as you had a good ratio of anti freeze in it. A couple of blankets over the hood might not be a bad idea either if your really worried.

GM service technician.

25 years old. I only drive chevys. Everything else and i do mean everything can rust in piece.

68 owner-The only way to go
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Camaro: A small vicious animal that eats mustangs.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 08, 10:52 PM
Senior Tech
Joe

Just being in a garage should be fine. My first 69 was left outside many a cold Oklahoma winter which would be similar to Chicago, over some cold one week stretches. It could be 5 -10 degrees at night with a high in the 20's or so. Thats about as cold as it ever gets here. Back then, all we ran was 30 weight oil and good anti freeze.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 18th, 08, 05:07 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
BILL

keep her covered up, and start her once in awhile...let her run to operating temp...then tuck her back in....
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 18th, 08, 05:53 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Doug

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARKY69 View Post
keep her covered up, and start her once in awhile...let her run to operating temp...then tuck her back in....
Agree with Bill -- I've always been told that you should run the car long enough to bring it up to operating temperature. Its not a good idea to just start it up and run in for a minute or so.

==Doug
Former
owner
Former
owner
Former 2nd
owner (
)
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 18th, 08, 05:58 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
BILL

Doug very nice camaro...lot of work and job well done, looks good....
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 18th, 08, 06:12 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Doug

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARKY69 View Post
Doug very nice camaro...lot of work and job well done, looks good....
Bill, many thanks -- I had a lot of help along the way and many were consumed

==Doug
Former
owner
Former
owner
Former 2nd
owner (
)
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 18th, 08, 09:57 AM
Senior Tech
Dante'

I use a mix of 1 gallon of extended duty anti-freeze 2 bottles of water wetter and fill with distilled water. No problems with Chicago winters, garage is unheated.

69 Camaro SS
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 18th, 08, 10:44 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

Doug - very nice '69! Are those '68 seats in it?

1969 / 350 / TH350 / 3.73 posi / driver
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 18th, 08, 12:38 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Doug

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeburg220 View Post
Doug - very nice '69! Are those '68 seats in it?
Mark -- thanks and good question. They were the seats that came with the car, so I'm assuming they are for a 69. I have the headrests, but haven't taken them to the upholstry shop yet to get them recovered.

==Doug
Former
owner
Former
owner
Former 2nd
owner (
)
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 18th, 08, 02:22 PM
Senior Tech

Here in the frozen north we mix antifreeze & water at 50/50. Our vehicles get started under all conditions although it is best to use a block heater when it is cold. Always let the engine warm before working it very hard. I've heard it said that 90% of engine wear occurs in the first couple of minutes of operation due to poor lubrication. Remember that your oil is not happy until it is hotter than 150+ degrees.

That said, I have lived in a cold climate for more than 50 years and always get good life out of my engines - BUT I am gentle on them until they are up to temperature!

Today it is -25C (-13F) & my favorite vehicles are hiding in my shop!

67funcar
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 18th, 08, 04:34 PM

Right, an antifreeze mixture that will protect down to as far as you need it!

My friend that gave me my old junk301'sworn out early 327 block built up a really for back then times hopped up 327 and had it in an unheated 1-car garage and forgot to drain the water out of it and boy was he sick after the temp hit 10 degrees overnight!

RUINED THE BLOCK big-time!!

He did have another block, so he did all the needed work to it and transferred everything over into it!

pdq67

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 18th, 08, 05:49 PM
Senior Tech
Todd

50/50 minimum and a heat source is not a bad idea. Pretty inexpensive insurance in my opinion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode