olds "350" - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 08, 09:21 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Scott

Question olds "350"

i have a guy that wants me to rebuild his olds 350 rocket out of a cutlass, nothing fancy pretty much back stock. i say no big deal....until...i saw this...thing...apparently olds uses a 455 block to make 350s?? so, i am looking for advice here. where should i go for parts and are there tips and tricks to these "350s"

1967 Camaro RS
383 Stroker 427HP 457TQ
Tremec TKO-600
Strange Engineering 12-Bolt 4.11 Posi
Coys C-55 18" Wheels
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 08, 09:36 PM
Senior Tech

Re: olds "350"

they don't use the 455 block- it looks almost like it, but the 455 is a bit taller and wider due to the taller deck height.
as for what to do with it and where to get parts- once you start tearing into it, it is just an simple ohv engine just like a small block Chevy, Dodge, or Ford and parts are easy to find pretty much anywhere. parts just cost a little bit more.

you don't plan sincerity.
you have to make it up on the spot.

wanna hear about 20 years ago when i was too smart to know any better?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 08, 10:24 PM

I think, I think, Olds took their mid '60's new block and used it as a tall-decker to make the (I think??), 400/425/455 and then shortened it to make the 260/307/330/350/403!

And fwiw, Olds made two '67 400's!

A 4.00" x 3.975" and a 3-7/8" x 4-1/4".

My Buddy back then had a '67 and he knocked the rods outta his long stroke 400" engine and replaced it w/ the 4x4, 400" engine and boy did it run!

pdq67

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 21st, 08, 05:08 AM
Senior Tech
Ron

My brother In Law had a 68 Cutlass Supreme w350 (Beautiful Car); anyway, I drove many a mile in that car with the stock engine. It's not a Hi-Rever but it does have ample low and mid range torque. My Dad's 68 327 CDN Pontiac could par it to 80mph and after that the Olds was left behind. My ride at the time was a 72 340MAG RS Challenger with 69 'X' 2.02 Heads and Fireball Cam, neither the Olds nor the Pontiac could touch me. I got to say other then the water pump and timing chain, them w350 Old's engines are very smooth and last forever. I would imagine if you put on a Holley/Edelbrock, cam it and put on headers you could up the RPM Scale and make close to 400Hp. One thing I suspect about the w350 is that the Main and Rod journals are somewhat narrow (like Buick) and not acceptable for RPMs over 5500rpm, so keep that in mind when camming. They are known to Super Charge nicely. Over all the w350 engine is one nice piece.

Z15CAM - There was a Viper in my Rear View
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

This was my 70 1/2 Z28

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Z15CAM; Dec 21st, 08 at 05:26 AM.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 21st, 08, 08:44 AM

GM took a hint from Olds and raised the LS- engine decks like the Olds 350!

Not quite as tall, but almost!

pdq67

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 21st, 08, 10:54 AM
Senior Tech

One good thing you won't have to ajust the hydr. lifters.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 21st, 08, 12:38 PM
Senior Tech

i put a 72 350 Olds out of a low mileage 4 door Cutlass into my little brother's 87 Regal when the stock 307 blew up, and it dropped right in. all i did was swap the 307's q jet intake on it and put a junkyard HEI distributor and non computer q jet on it to get rid of all the computer crap. that car ran good with the 307- but it was almost fast and much smoother with the 350. it even got better gas mileage with the bigger 350.
like i said before- it might look a bit different than the 350 you are used to, but once you get into it, it's just another simple ohv engine. www.northernautoparts.com is a good place to get a rebuild kit with good parts for cheap.

you don't plan sincerity.
you have to make it up on the spot.

wanna hear about 20 years ago when i was too smart to know any better?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode