ZZ4 Swap - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Dec 22nd, 08, 05:41 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

ZZ4 Swap

Hey guys,
I have a 1967 Camaro with a stock 327 (275 HP) engine with a 4-speed. My rear end has 3.75 gears. I am wanting to upgrade engines to a ZZ4, I know all the specs on the motor 355 HP, 405 ft/lbs. I know someone has done this swap I am just wondering if there is anything to look for before I begin. I would think that it would be a pretty much bolt it, I have been thinking that I might have some problems going to the HEI distributor. Also to those of you who have done this swap what kind of power difference am I going to get from this change, just wondering. Here is a link so everyone can see the car

Thanks guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Dec 22nd, 08, 10:16 PM
Tech Team
Chris Robertson

Re: ZZ4 Swap

I have done the swap in a 69 that I owned and helped a friend swap one into his 69, as well. Both of our cars were initially small blocks and had long W/P's (as comes on the ZZ4).

There were no issues with the swap, although, the HEI distributor was removed before stabbing the engine. Once engine was set, the HEI was reinstalled (keeping in mind to stab the distributor as it came out, not 180* off) and had optimal firewall clearance. I chose not to use the centerbolt valve covers and used the adapter plates and perimeter mount valve covers, which fit without any clearance issues around the brake booster or wiper motor. Hope this answers your ?? and more. If not, I'll try to answer anything I forgot.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Dec 22nd, 08, 10:30 PM
Senior Tech
Al

The only real issue I had in my 69 was that the plastic timing cover interfered with the PS pump bracket. Not sure if that would be an issue on a short water pump, though. The HEI is a crapshoot also - mine fit just fine - good luck on that!

You will need a new flywheel. The one piece rear main seal engines have a balance weight on the flywheel as well as a smaller bolt circle - your old one won't work. The ZZ4 comes with a flexplate for an AT.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Dec 22nd, 08, 11:42 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jerome

AFR ZZ4 here ,no problem ,used Energy suspension early1964 to68 or9 motor mounts,Hedman 65003 headers,no hei ,MSD dist. with 6 al box...good luck and have fun Happy motoring soon

1972 Nova SS , 350, Auto, AC, Survivor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Dec 23rd, 08, 08:59 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Thanks guys for giving me some things to have to look. Also guys how does the motor perform it is a pretty good buy for what you are getting, but what kind of power does is put out, is it all what it is cracked up to be. Also did you notice a large increase in power of the stock engine. Just curious of what I can expect as far as power gains from my stock 327 275 horsepower engine to the new ZZ4.

Thanks guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode