double pumper... - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old Dec 23rd, 08, 07:06 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Scott

double pumper...

i am thinking of going with a Holley 750 double pumper with mech. secondaries on my 67 camaro. i was told that with the horsepower, manual transmission, and 4.11 gears i have that my car would perform a lot better with a double pumper. right now, it kind of studders off the line. i currently have a edlebrock 750 with vacuum secondaries. what do you guys think?

1967 Camaro RS
383 Stroker 427HP 457TQ
Tremec TKO-600
Strange Engineering 12-Bolt 4.11 Posi
Coys C-55 18" Wheels
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old Dec 23rd, 08, 07:16 PM
Senior Tech
jeff

Re: double pumper...

get rid of the edeljunk! My car leaves like a bear with a 750DP

1969 X66 PROJECT:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2002 C5 COUPE ELECTRON BLUE SOLD
1987 BUICK GRAND NATIONAL SOLD
1964 CHEVY II 406 SOLD
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old Dec 23rd, 08, 07:58 PM
Senior Tech

I run double pumpers on that type of application and a heavy betty with an auto trans. I love them on everything!!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old Dec 23rd, 08, 08:09 PM
Senior Tech
george

Nuthin hits the tires harder than a dp.

George
68 Camaro
8-71 blown 461 Rat on E-85
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old Dec 23rd, 08, 08:15 PM
Senior Tech
Logan

Would it be alright to run a double pumper with an automatic trannny and stock 3.08 gears
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old Dec 23rd, 08, 08:27 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

I like DP's a lot, on nearly any fiarly high HP application, but...

If your stick shift car stutters leaving a light with an ede, something is wrong and it ain't the carb. Tuning issue, or perhaps a clutch problem.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old Dec 23rd, 08, 08:44 PM
Senior Tech
george

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro55 View Post
Would it be alright to run a double pumper with an automatic trannny and stock 3.08 gears
The OP shared some of his combo for consideration.Your question is very vague.Example..I have a 572 bbc in a 3200 lb Ist gen camaro with an auto and 3.08 rear gear.Would it be alright to to run a double pumper?Yep to that.Whats your combo????

George
68 Camaro
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old Dec 23rd, 08, 08:44 PM
Senior Tech
Harley D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro55 View Post
not realy. You'd be better off with a vac. sec. 4160 with that high gear. Even with a manual matched to that gear I'd say stay with a vac. sec.

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."-Dr. Seuss
We learn life's important lessons in kindergarten.

Harley D
'67 coupe 427SBC
60'1.728
1/[email protected]

post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old Dec 23rd, 08, 08:47 PM
Senior Tech
Harley D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott MH View Post
i am thinking of going with a Holley 750 double pumper with mech. secondaries on my 67 camaro. i was told that with the horsepower, manual transmission, and 4.11 gears i have that my car would perform a lot better with a double pumper. right now, it kind of studders off the line. i currently have a edlebrock 750 with vacuum secondaries. what do you guys think?
Like Jim said something is causing the studder. It may be the carb needs tuning or could be something else, but to answer your question a dp is a very good match to your set up. We would need to know more details before recommending a size.

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."-Dr. Seuss

Harley D
'67 coupe 427SBC
60'1.728
1/[email protected]

post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old Dec 23rd, 08, 08:56 PM
Senior Tech
george

750 cfm dp atop a 425 hp 383 stroker is a perfect fit imo.Been there done that with great results.Not to big.not to small.

George
68 Camaro
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old Dec 24th, 08, 09:21 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyD67 View Post
Like Jim said something is causing the studder. It may be the carb needs tuning or could be something else, but to answer your question a dp is a very good match to your set up. We would need to know more details before recommending a size.

well i guess i shouldnt have said off the line, it will take off hard off the line but if i am at 35-60 and in 3rd or 4th gear and floor it, she shudders
also, i have a TorkerII manifold and i am also thinking of changing over to a air gap manifold with a 1" spacer...

1967 Camaro RS
383 Stroker 427HP 457TQ
Tremec TKO-600
Coys C-55 18" Wheels
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old Dec 24th, 08, 10:20 AM
Senior Tech
Harley D

What's the cam specs? Although unless it's real mild with the vastly improved manifold swap you plan I would suggest a 750dp as well. Is this a daily driver that you would need a choke? If not and you can at all swing the slight extra cost go with a Proform or Quickfuel carb. The improved air and fuel flow not to mention the large glass site windows make it a much better carb. If you do go with a Proform or Quickfuel though get a 700 as they flow higher than rated. There 750 actually flows 780-800cfm, and I think the 700 is around 730-740cfm. As for the hesitation now that you describe it better it does sound more carb related. Probably in the needles somewhere, but as I'm a Holley man and haven't really played with AFB carbs since high school I can't tell you how to fix your "ede".

Harley D
'67 coupe 427SBC
60'1.728
1/[email protected]

post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old Dec 24th, 08, 12:51 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyD67 View Post
What's the cam specs? Although unless it's real mild with the vastly improved manifold swap you plan I would suggest a 750dp as well. Is this a daily driver that you would need a choke? If not and you can at all swing the slight extra cost go with a Proform or Quickfuel carb. The improved air and fuel flow not to mention the large glass site windows make it a much better carb. If you do go with a Proform or Quickfuel though get a 700 as they flow higher than rated. There 750 actually flows 780-800cfm, and I think the 700 is around 730-740cfm. As for the hesitation now that you describe it better it does sound more carb related. Probably in the needles somewhere, but as I'm a Holley man and haven't really played with AFB carbs since high school I can't tell you how to fix your "ede".
the cam i am running is a Comp Cams Extreme Energy Flat Tappet 230/[email protected] the car is a daily driver but i do not currently have a choke and it runs fine. however, i do plan on adding a manual choke to my system, for those just in case days. i am looking at the holly 750 kit from jegs http://www.jegs.com/i/Holley/510/0-4779SK1/10002/-1 i was interested with the quick fuel carbs because my dads 472 Hemi funs a 1050 Quick Fuel. they are good looking cab thats for sure however they are pretty darn expensive

1967 Camaro RS
383 Stroker 427HP 457TQ
Tremec TKO-600
Coys C-55 18" Wheels
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old Dec 24th, 08, 02:39 PM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G

I went from a VS750 Holley (with a lot of work) to a DP750 Holley.... really made a big difference

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old Dec 24th, 08, 06:13 PM
Senior Tech
Harley D

If you want a choke then go with this and just get the line separate.
http://www.jegs.com/i/Proform/778/67213/10002/-1

Harley D
'67 coupe 427SBC
60'1.728
1/[email protected]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode