Head Gasket for Little M - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 26th, 08, 07:58 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice
Jeff

Head Gasket for Little M

Hello I'm new to the forum, but just looking around, you got some smart poeple here. So thought I'd ask a question. I'm building a 414 ci Dart block 4.125" bore engine with Pro 1 aluminum heads. Been reading about the water holes in the deck and opening or not opening the head gasket to match the block water ports. I bought Mr. Gasket 4.125" bore MLS gaskets to use, but I'm now not sure I should use them or what. Maybe buy Fl-pro #1143's ???

Here's my gasket now. Maybe someone can tell me to use them or punch bigger holes in them or buy new fel-pro's.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 26th, 08, 08:22 PM
Senior Tech
Harley D

Re: Head Gasket for Little M

I'm running AFR210's on my little M 427 and I used the Fel-Pro 1014 that they specked without drilling the block.
Sorry I can't really comment on the Mr. Gasket's. I've always been a Fel-pro guy.

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."-Dr. Seuss
We learn life's important lessons in kindergarten.

Harley D
'67 coupe 427SBC
60'1.728
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1/[email protected]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 26th, 08, 09:46 PM
Senior Tech
Royce

I just went through this. The Fel-Pro 1143 MLS does match up better. I started with Cometics which look a lot like the Mr. Gasket you posted.

Royce (NO XQSSS) Bradley

(brief sound/video clip, 3 1/2" exhaust through Borla Sportsman mufflers)

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 26th, 08, 10:59 PM
Banned

Here is a pic of a block where we matched the holes in deck to the deck of the block as there are 7 areas on each deck we have to open up so water flow is not restricted, The Bowtie blocks don't seem to have this problem.

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 08, 08:01 AM Thread Starter
Apprentice
Jeff

CNC, the picture is fine, I understand where Dart opened the block. But how about showing it with the opened up gasket you talk about, that's what I need to see.

Thanks
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 08, 10:09 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gremmen View Post
CNC, the picture is fine, I understand where Dart opened the block. But how about showing it with the opened up gasket you talk about, that's what I need to see.

Thanks
I have never opened up a gasket as I fix the holes in the decks only on the Dart Little-M blocks as the gaskets are not the problem here its the holes in the decks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 08, 10:39 AM Thread Starter
Apprentice
Jeff

Will the Fel-pro MLS #1143 be a good gasket to use. Motor will make 750+ HP on motor, then add 150 nitrous. Iron Dart block, Pro 1 Alminum Heads

My bore is 4.125", Fel-pro gasket will be 4.165"
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 08, 11:28 AM
Banned

Quote:
Will the Fel-pro MLS #1143 be a good gasket to use. Motor will make 750+ HP on motor, then add 150 nitrous. Iron Dart block, Pro 1 Alminum Heads

My bore is 4.125", Fel-pro gasket will be 4.165"
1143 is a very good gasket to use but just check to make sure there is not restricktions and if there is is address it with a die grinder as I have said before its not the gasket its the holes in the decks they are small in diameter, Its not a big deal to fix!!
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 08, 01:28 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice
Jeff

OK I think I'm starting to understand what your saying. You're going into the holes in the deck and opening up inside, you're not actually making the holes larger. And you're not opening the gasket to match the holes in the deck, you're just making sure they are properly aligned with the deck holes.

I can't really tell from the picture, but looks like you do do some work on the top center hole. Is this about right ?

What are the two holes behind #8 cylinder in the picture, does the gasket have to have both of those holes too. Only gasket I've seen with them is the Fel-Pro MLS.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 08, 02:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
OK I think I'm starting to understand what your saying. You're going into the holes in the deck and opening up inside, you're not actually making the holes larger. And you're not opening the gasket to match the holes in the deck, you're just making sure they are properly aligned with the deck holes.

I can't really tell from the picture, but looks like you do do some work on the top center hole. Is this about right ?

What are the two holes behind #8 cylinder in the picture, does the gasket have to have both of those holes too. Only gasket I've seen with them is the Fel-Pro MLS.
And the Bottom 3 holes need adjusting look at the pic real close and we open both rear holes as most Felpro gaskets use both holes.

Sorry for all the confusion!!!

Just lay your gasket on the deck and its clearly what has to opened up!!!
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 08, 03:16 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice
Jeff

Thanks, that sure clears thing up. I was confused
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 08, 05:18 PM
Bill

Jeff,

Just a little more info. The holes in the gaskets ae meant to meter a certain amount of water up to the heads. If you open them up, areas that need more cooling might not get it. Leave the gasket alone.

By the way, I am curious why you would not just use the gasket that the head or block manufacturer recommends ?

Bill Koustenis
Owner
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md
1971 Chevelle "Heavy Chevy" original owner

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 08, 07:04 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice
Jeff

Bill, I wasn't going to open any hole in the gasket unless someone "absolutely" convinced me it needed it, and I wouldn't open it that much if I did. I agree with you, if I did open them up, I'd probably fry my fringin cylinders. This was the info I was looking for, I thought people were really enlarging the holes in the gaskets, seems it's just the holes on the block they were doing. I understand all that now, kind of porting the water ports.

As for Darts recommendation ....... There isn't any I can find. And they didn't brother to chime in on their forum, which surprised me some.

It's too bad I spent $160 on the Mr.Gasket MLS gaskets before I found all this out. They probably would work just fine, but from talking to others & the person I bought the short block from, looks like I'll be going to Fel-Pro MLS #1143.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 08, 07:06 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice
Jeff

This has been the best discussion on this subject, that I could find. Hopefully it helps others that come across it.

My thanks to all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode