How to get hp from a tbi 305? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 08, 02:03 AM Thread Starter

Question How to get hp from a tbi 305?

As you know I have a 305 TBI. Has a 700r4 with shift kit. I bought the car 2 years ago and the motor and transmission had been rebuilt like only 2,000 miles ago. So I dont want to just toss the motor and tranny I have. Started on the inside of the car 2 years ago and its not done yet, so im in no hurry. Life long project/Poor man's dream?

What im wanting to find out is, can I pull 300 wheel horse or more without having to dump lots of money in a motor, and trans that I dont like? If so then what do I need to buy? I know I need heads, headers, 3inch pipes, maybe tpi?

Does anyone use desktop dyno? Can it help someone to find the right parts that is not god behind the numbers so to speak? you know how the free ones ask every little spec that their is no way for a normal person to know, or even find out. Do the one's you pay big money for help guys like me? I just want to go to a list of parts, try them and then if I like, get the specs, to buy. Is that just a dream? How do I trust some person on the net otherwise with a big money/time investment without seeing it on d/d or some other proven program of the sort?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 08, 10:10 AM
Senior Tech
Lang

Garage
Re: How to get hp from a tbi 305?

Do a search on thirdgen.org
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 08, 10:52 AM
Senior Tech
Tom

Talking Re: How to get hp from a tbi 305?

3" pipes on a 300 HP engine ? If you are talking single exhaust - yes. If you are talking Dual exhaust - 2" would be sufficient. I think fuel efficiency is more important now days, than "More power !"

69 Camaro -originally a LM1 car. 327, Edelbrock E-streets, hooker, DUI performance distributors, ultradyne cam, stewart, TRW etc. Vintage Air, AGR steering, Corbeau GTSII seats, 700R4 transmission, 12-bolt w/Eaton 4.11:1

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 08, 12:04 PM
Senior Tech

generally on the late model cars that are street driven, most of the bolt on things you do to them to increase power also increase fuel economy- opening up the exhaust with headers and a cat back kit and getting more air easily into the engine will do just that.
also, the TBI motors respond well to throttle body and injector spacers, as well as getting rid of that stupid spacer between the throttle body and air cleaner lets it breathe a lot better.

you don't plan sincerity.
you have to make it up on the spot.

wanna hear about 20 years ago when i was too smart to know any better?
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 08, 12:21 PM
Senior Tech

1) 300hp? Technically yes. Practical? i don't know.

2) This person really knows TBI; If you're willing to read thru it all, it would really help you, i think.
http://www.goingfaster.com/spo/modthel03.html
http://www.goingfaster.com/spo/spo_t...y_central.html

3) i think the key is to just take a deep breath and commit to doing it---learning it and not worry too much about the time it takes and money although you should be careful about the money.

Anyways, congratulations on your, what i feel to be, a very good setup; i would switch to TBI myself, but i just don't have the time, organizational skills, stomach, brainpower and knowlege of electronics and EFI right now. But eventually, when i do switch over to EFI, i will most likely use TBI because it's simplier than a carb and it's simplier than the other types of EFI.

Just be patient, read alot, ask alot of questions and i think you'll do it.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 08, 09:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJS69 View Post
3" pipes on a 300 HP engine ? If you are talking single exhaust - yes. If you are talking Dual exhaust - 2" would be sufficient. I think fuel efficiency is more important now days, than "More power !"

Yes single 3". Efficiency? This car is not a daily driver, nor will it ever be. We have four other cars.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 08, 09:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by puff puff View Post
1) 300hp? Technically yes. Practical? i don't know.

2) This person really knows TBI; If you're willing to read thru it all, it would really help you, i think.
http://www.goingfaster.com/spo/modthel03.html
http://www.goingfaster.com/spo/spo_t...y_central.html

3) i think the key is to just take a deep breath and commit to doing it---learning it and not worry too much about the time it takes and money although you should be careful about the money.

Anyways, congratulations on your, what i feel to be, a very good setup; i would switch to TBI myself, but i just don't have the time, organizational skills, stomach, brainpower and knowlege of electronics and EFI right now. But eventually, when i do switch over to EFI, i will most likely use TBI because it's simplier than a carb and it's simplier than the other types of EFI.

Just be patient, read alot, ask alot of questions and i think you'll do it.

Thanks for the info. The big Question is still the money. I could ride the car like it is for many trouble free years while I save up for the ls1 & t56, or just be happy with the newer motor and tranny it came with, via making it more fun.
I know the basic parts to change its just the heads/cam/related part specs that I have no idea about. In order to make this build worth it, the price needs to stay low. So that info is very important. If I called Jegs they may help, maybe. I will also look into the info you sent. Thanks.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 08, 10:35 AM
Senior Tech
greg

I had a similar set up in an 87 Firebird with a 305. I put in a Comp 252 cam-206-206 dur. at .050, .425-.425 lift 110 lsa. Made a noticeable difference in low and mid range power and would rev to 5200. Very smooth but throaty idle. Not even close to 300hp I am sure but sure felt like it!! I did have a stage 1 chip in it and a hooker cross flow muffler but that was it.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 08, 05:42 PM Thread Starter

Ya, 170 hp was just way to weak. The 89 Mustangs had 225hp and not as heavy.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 08, 05:52 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

a lot you can do. Heads... best would be the 305 hipo heads, from a mid 80's monte SS.
Intake - edelbrock performer, or something similar would be good, I think Holley makes a small dual plane specific to a 2bbl TBI.

As for the TBI itself, swap on a junk yard TBI out of a 454 suburban, or get a new Holley 670 cfm TBI.

A Cam as above would be perfect too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 08, 06:52 PM Thread Starter

Question Re: How to get hp from a tbi 305?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM View Post
a lot you can do. Heads... best would be the 305 hipo heads, from a mid 80's monte SS.
Intake - edelbrock performer, or something similar would be good, I think Holley makes a small dual plane specific to a 2bbl TBI.

As for the TBI itself, swap on a junk yard TBI out of a 454 suburban, or get a new Holley 670 cfm TBI.

A Cam as above would be perfect too.

Great info. The junk yard 454 TBI swap, & SS heads are just the kind of info Im looking for. The two options have brought up some questions.

1. When I get the 454 TBI, do I need to get, or do anything along with it, or is it just a "plug, & play" deal?

2. Someone that I do not know very well said to put some Chevy 350ci heads on it? Can that even be done?
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 08, 07:41 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

I wouldn't put 350 heads on a 305. Even the 1.9 / 1.5" valves just get too close to that lil bore, shrouds the valves and hurts flow. Also the chambers are too big, even the 64cc. The MonteSS heads have 58cc chambers, will give you 9.5:1 compression with standard gaskets, 10:1 with shim gaskets.

I haven't read the links above, but there may be info on the "big TBI" swap there. Search out the info, it will be on the web. I've probably read some at some time, but the details are foggy.

I do know for fact that Holley makes a 670cfm TBI upgrade that is a true bolton for the 305 / 350 tbi motors, and that product is based on the large TBI used on the big block trucks. I'm not certain on the truck tbi details, fuel line locations, vacuum ports, electrical connections. The system will also need some recalibrating, possibly just with fuel pressure, or maybe using a different factory computer. The info is out there.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 08, 07:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM View Post
I wouldn't put 350 heads on a 305. Even the 1.9 / 1.5" valves just get too close to that lil bore, shrouds the valves and hurts flow. Also the chambers are too big, even the 64cc. The MonteSS heads have 58cc chambers, will give you 9.5:1 compression with standard gaskets, 10:1 with shim gaskets.

I haven't read the links above, but there may be info on the "big TBI" swap there. Search out the info, it will be on the web. I've probably read some at some time, but the details are foggy.

I do know for fact that Holley makes a 670cfm TBI upgrade that is a true bolton for the 305 / 350 tbi motors, and that product is based on the large TBI used on the big block trucks. I'm not certain on the truck tbi details, fuel line locations, vacuum ports, electrical connections. The system will also need some recalibrating, possibly just with fuel pressure, or maybe using a different factory computer. The info is out there.

Thanks a lot. I will look it up. My parts wish list is growing by the minute.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 09, 12:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by striker911 View Post
thanks a lot. I will look it up. My parts wish list is growing by the minute.
sure that all helped a lot but just like any person that has a lo3 in a camaro, it left a lot of questions about cold air induction since the guy has a firebird with a cowl hood that will not fit on a camaro. Need to find more info. I have came up with an idea. Will post my idea and see what people think as soon as i get a chance. It was all very helpfull information about everything else i needed to know. Still dont know if spending about 4 g's on a 305 is worth it vs just throwing in a mild 383. Everyone keeps saying how its easy to wake up the lil 305 and to just keep it. Easy to say.....
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 09, 09:29 PM Thread Starter

Oh hey. Sorry I forgot to say thanks for the great info. The spacer you where talking about is the part that is wrapped around the throttle body after you take the air cleaner off. It stands about 1.5" high? Seems like it would rob a lot of airflow. Only thing is that it was put their for a reason right? Something like helping to keep heat out, or fuel in? Thank again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode