big block heads - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 08, 12:45 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
clayton hicker

big block heads

i have some 454 heads the # 353049.anyone know anything about them.the motor is a 1973.what piston dome would i need to get around 9.5 cr with these heads?thx very much

clayton hicker
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 08, 05:14 PM
Senior Tech

Re: big block heads

73-84 oval port, open chamber, 122cc chamber, 255cc intake port, 119cc exhaust port.
Using a standard bore and Fel-Pro 1037 head gasket you'll need approx. 26cc dome.

69 RS 355 Tremec 5-Speed 4.11's
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 08, 05:42 PM
Senior Tech
george

Keep in mind..any time you increase your swept volume..the static cr will increase with the same size combustion chamber.Thats one of the benefits of a stroker crank.Run a non flame impending flat top vs dome piston and still grab your desired static cr.

George
68 Camaro
8-71 blown 461 Rat on E-85

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 08, 07:09 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
clayton hicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatblock View Post
Keep in mind..any time you increase your swept volume..the static cr will increase with the same size combustion chamber.Thats one of the benefits of a stroker crank.Run a non flame impending flat top vs dome piston and still grab your desired static cr.
hate to sound dumd but what is swept volume.so your saying with that 489 kit im looking at to use a flat top piston with the heads i have ?thx much

clayton hicker
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 08, 08:01 PM

These are great flowing heads. I am pretty sure that they are some of the best oval ports gm made. I had a set on my 454 and they had great torque.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 08, 08:41 PM
Senior Tech
Ron

You should really CC them heads to determine the Combustin Chamber volume. I suspect they could be 118cc rather then 122 but seems to me from many reports that both the 781 and 049 heads could have either a 118 or a 122cc volume. The 73 454 ci engine is an ideal candidate for making power. Although they came with flat tops .025" in the Hole and have approx an 8.2 Static compression. You can up the compression using the flat tops by running an older set of 100CC heads; OR:

If you have a 118cc combustion chamber volume the Speed Pro L2465F with a composite .039" gasket will give a 9.5:1 Static compression with a .064 quench and better yet a 10:1 Static compression with a Steel .019" Shim gasket to yield a .044" quench.

If the CC Volume is greater you have 3 alternatives: 1/ get a piston with higher dome - not recommended as spark and combustion travel is hampered. 2/ "0" deck the block and run the .039" composite gasket - recommended. 3/ Shave the 122 Heads to say a 116 cc Volume is also recommended with the L2465 Pistons.

Whether Decking the Block or Milling the heads you must be more wary of the Piston to Valve Clearances Vs Cam choice and in both incidents will change the fitting of the intake manifold and push rod lengths. From my experiences, "0" Decking and using a .039" thick gasket was not enough variance to effect either the Intake fitting or Push Rod length.

By stroking the engine - increasing the volume sweep, that is using a Crank with a longer stroke you are compressing a greater volume thus increasing the CI of the engine to 496 and the Static compression and can run a flat top piston which benefits flame and combustion and reduces ping; however, I have never had a ping problem running a 9.5 to say a 10.25:1 454 with the L2465F piston by keeping the Dynamic Compression below 8.2 and that is determined by cam choice.

A 278H 10 or 12 cam would be an excellent choice for a 9.5:1 Static Compression 454ci engine.

Suggest you download P Kelleys DCR Calculator here: http://www.empirenet.com/pkelley2/DynamicCR.html

Z15CAM - There was a Viper in my Rear View
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

This was my 70 1/2 Z28

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Z15CAM; Dec 28th, 08 at 09:08 PM.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 29th, 08, 05:29 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
clayton hicker

thx very much ron.lotsa good stuff there

clayton hicker
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 29th, 08, 06:34 PM
Senior Tech
Patrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRead01 View Post
These are great flowing heads. I am pretty sure that they are some of the best oval ports gm made. I had a set on my 454 and they had great torque.
Chad is exactly right. You have a VERY good set of heads! They are sometimes called 049's. Do a search and you will find out how many people want these heads. You also have the best early year model 454 block! As the cylinder walls are very thick and can be bored out alot.

69RS/SS,383,10:1cr,4.10,60ft1.6sec,1/[email protected],1/[email protected],Vicjr,RPMheads,750dp, Proform main body, cam,246*-250*@.050,.510,522,1.6rr,700r4,3200stall
383 IS SOLD!
Building a 489BBC

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 29th, 08, 07:14 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
clayton hicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedfreek View Post
Chad is exactly right. You have a VERY good set of heads! They are sometimes called 049's. Do a search and you will find out how many people want these heads. You also have the best early year model 454 block! As the cylinder walls are very thick and can be bored out alot.
cool thats good news.i did notice there was a lot of meat on the cyinders

clayton hicker
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode