Go big or go home 496 .... - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 55 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 08, 09:07 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Skip

Go big or go home 496 ....

Well i just found this on E-Bay and was wondering if this is to good to be true with this combination and can i do better, also would it work in my 69 Camaro 4-speed. Will i have to change anything like headers, manual fuel pump, or should i billed my owne... This is a great priced 496 and I'm sure ill put in more then that to build it. I don't know but if you can give me your opinions i would really appreciate them.
Thanks Skip.

http://cgi.ebay.com/CHEVY-CHEVROLET-...3286.m20.l1116

I NEED TO HIT THE LOTTERY
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 55 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 08, 10:55 PM
Senior Tech
Ed

Re: Go big or go home 496 ....

I don't think I would buy an engine off the internet when there is no way to know if it was built right. I would stick with a local reputable builder (who could bring the engine back to if there were problems) or at least pick a builder with a good name.

Otherwise you risk buying a lemon and having nothing but problems, imho.

Ed

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 55 (permalink) Old Dec 29th, 08, 03:59 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

I've heard of a guy in the local drag club that bought a 383 from ebay...think he paid about $3,500?

I think he has about $9K into now, and it's still not right.

Not saying they're all that way?...but if YOURS is, you don't really care about the ones that aren't.

Jim

post #4 of 55 (permalink) Old Dec 29th, 08, 04:43 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
BILL

risky to buy off the internet...
post #5 of 55 (permalink) Old Dec 29th, 08, 05:24 AM
Senior Tech
clayton hicker

youcan build it urself for that price.im getting ready ( i hope) to build one my self .then you know how it done.

clayton hicker
post #6 of 55 (permalink) Old Dec 29th, 08, 06:03 AM
Senior Tech
Laurence

Talking Re: Go big or go home 496 ....

I guess you haven't heard of this guy then:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/454-4...1%7C240%3A1308

He posts on this forum as VORTECPRO...(Mark Jones) so you can talk to him here. Best bang for the buck IMO, as others will also testify!
He might have a few things to say about pro-comp heads...probably nothing nice!!

..."you can never go fast enough"..driver,Two Lane Blacktop.
post #7 of 55 (permalink) Old Dec 29th, 08, 06:09 AM
Senior Tech
Gary

ProComp crank, ProComp rods and ProComp heads.

PASS on this one, head over to Team Chevelle in the performance section and search for VortecPro as suggested ^. He's building 505's with ported GM ovals that dyno 700+hp. Several of the members there have bought his engines and are very pleased. Price should be about what this guy is asking on his American block filled and topped with Chinese junk.

Gary Adrian
FCS Harmony Racing

Momma always told me not to look into the eyes of the sun.
"But momma, that's where the fun is!"
post #8 of 55 (permalink) Old Dec 29th, 08, 07:41 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Skip

OK Guys I'm glad i ask and that means this week my motor is coming out and going off to highly reputable builder only 30min from my house....

Thanks again everyone great advise... I will post updates as soon as i get them.

Skip

post #9 of 55 (permalink) Old Dec 29th, 08, 03:21 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Skip

Everybody i just got threw talking with both Mark Jones and Mike the owner of www.lewisracingengines.com and i have to say what bunch of nice guys ... I first talk to Mark for about 15mins about my 496 build, he highly recommended that i talk to Mike beings hes in my area. I proceed and called Mike (awesome guy) and we talk about a few different combos for my 496 build, at the beginning of my phone call with Mike i told him that i didn't want to waist his time and that i was first considering working with another builder (which i named) and he said WOW i use to drive there blown alcohol drag car and that they are my best bet for my location and that he would also if needed work with them to get my goal . Even if i want to build it my self he would sell me every thing i need but i still would need to have the machining done ..... Anyways its a small world and these guys are very professional with respect to each other and they go back in history... Now ive gotta stop waisting time and get to wrenching tomorrow.

post #10 of 55 (permalink) Old Dec 29th, 08, 03:28 PM
Senior Tech
David

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeeter55 View Post
Everybody i just got threw talking with both Mark Jones and Mike the owner of www.lewisracingengines.com and i have to say what bunch of nice guys ... I first talk to Mark for about 15mins about my 496 build, he highly recommended that i talk to Mike beings hes in my area. I proceed and called Mike (awesome guy) and we talk about a few different combos for my 496 build, at the beginning of my phone call with Mike i told him that i didn't want to waist his time and that i was first considering working with another builder (which i named) and he said WOW i use to drive there blown alcohol drag car and that they are my best bet for my location and that he would also if needed work with them to get my goal . Even if i want to build it my self he would sell me every thing i need but i still would need to have the machining done ..... Anyways its a small world and these guys are very professional with respect to each other and they go back in history... Now ive gotta stop waisting time and get to wrenching tomorrow.
Skip,
If I were you, I would let the shop build your 496 and break it in on their dyno. If they do the break in and something goes wrong, they are responsible for correcting it. That's what I did.

"All I need is a fast machine". Steve McQueen
My Machine: 1969 Pro Street Camaro

468 CID 661 Horsepower
Turbo 400
33"x19.50" Mickey Thompsons

post #11 of 55 (permalink) Old Dec 29th, 08, 03:41 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Skip

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1969ProStreetCamaro View Post
Skip,
If I were you, I would let the shop build your 496 and break it in on their dyno. If they do the break in and something goes wrong, they are responsible for correcting it. That's what I did.
That is a big plus for me to... I hope i dont chicken out on the 496 and end up with my 427, this build is going about $2,300 over my budget if i get the CNC Heads.

post #12 of 55 (permalink) Old Dec 29th, 08, 03:45 PM
Senior Tech
David

Quote:
That is a big plus for me to... I hope i dont chicken out on the 496 and end up with my 427, this build is going about $2,300 over my budget if i get the CNC Heads.
Can they rework your current heads and save you some money?

468 CID 661 Horsepower
Turbo 400

post #13 of 55 (permalink) Old Dec 29th, 08, 03:49 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Skip

Quote:
Can they rework your current heads and save you some money?
David
Yeah depending on how much and who ported them last, if no porting has been done then they said its worth getting the CNC rather then putting all that time in the heads porting them.

I'm getting closer to finding out what exactly I'm gonna end up with, even though i still have to yank my motor out (hope this week or weekend)... I gotta thank all you guys here on TC with PMs and these threads, other wise id be lost.

post #14 of 55 (permalink) Old Dec 29th, 08, 04:14 PM
Senior Tech
David

Quote:
David
Yeah depending on how much and who ported them last, if no porting has been done then they said its worth getting the CNC rather then putting all that time in the heads porting them.

I'm getting closer to finding out what exactly I'm gonna end up with, even though i still have to yank my motor out (hope this week or weekend)... I gotta thank all you guys here on TC with PMs and these threads, other wise id be lost.
Just a thought.......World Products make some great heads. They might be competitively priced to CNC. Might save you some money.I have a set of their "Merlin" heads on my BB.

468 CID 661 Horsepower
Turbo 400

post #15 of 55 (permalink) Old Dec 29th, 08, 04:20 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Skip

Quote:
Just a thought.......World Products make some great heads. They might be competitively priced to CNC. Might save you some money.I have a set of their "Merlin" heads on my BB.
Things would be allot easier if i could use this as a business wright off ... But then i would have to slap a couple of magnets with the business name on the doors of the Old Orange Crush.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode