dipstick tube - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 08, 09:33 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mark

dipstick tube

The internal dipstick tube extension, that's inside of the crankcase: what keeps it from sliding out of the engine block? I'm trying to re-install mine, and it seems like it will just fall out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 / 350 / TH350 / 3.73 posi / driver
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 08, 09:39 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
"Tri-Tip"

Re: dipstick tube

It should be flanged at the top.

"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master." ..... George Washington

Gary,TC Member with a Lemans Blue/Ivory 02D X33, DZ, M20, MS, flat hood. Only the BU code rear end is original.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 08, 09:44 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary L View Post
It should be flanged at the top.
I'm suffering from memory loss - does the tube then drop into the block from the outside, with the flange staying seated at the top outside of the block? That would make sense, but I didn't think the dipstick tube would fit into it?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 08, 09:50 PM
Tech Team

a little bit of jb weld at the end will help.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 08, 10:15 PM
Senior Tech
Ron

Once you got it in there, I use a Spark Plug Rubber End off an Ignition Wire and slip it over the Tube to Pan Joint. This will ensure no Oil Leaks out. You might have to slide the Rubber Collar on the tube first, if your tube has a top bracket ;o)

Z15CAM - There was a Viper in my Rear View

This was my 70 1/2 Z28

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 08, 10:37 PM
Senior Tech
Mike

The block is counterbored approx. 3/4" for the internal tube and the outer tube is pressed into the block butting up against the internal tube. At least on a SB.

2002 Jerry Bickle Cavalier, 446" Small Block, Brodix Canted Valve, lenco 5 speed, 7.54 @ 180. mph,1.06 60', 2235 lbs for 2014. GM Canada Docs, Highly Optioned 69 RSZ28 , Hugger Orange, White Stripes, 42,000 mile survivor, owned since 1973.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 29th, 08, 10:17 AM
Senior Tech

I used high temp silicone on the end of mine.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 30th, 08, 04:19 PM
Senior Tech
Bill

I know a lot of original SB chevy dipsticks and also aftermarket versions have a bracket that's typically welded or attached to the tube that goes into the block. The bracket then has a mounting location such as a header bolt or valve cover bolt that keeps it from ever sliding up. Not sure what was stock on 1st gens but that configuration is what I have on my original vette and my after-market ZZ383 in the Camaro.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 30th, 08, 05:10 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68RS-SS View Post
I know a lot of original SB chevy dipsticks and also aftermarket versions have a bracket that's typically welded or attached to the tube that goes into the block. The bracket then has a mounting location such as a header bolt or valve cover bolt that keeps it from ever sliding up. Not sure what was stock on 1st gens but that configuration is what I have on my original vette and my after-market ZZ383 in the Camaro.
I'm not talking about the external dipstick tube; I'm talking about the extension tube that's inside of the block/crankcase. It slides up into the block hole to meet the end of the external dipstick tube. The other end protrudes into the crankcase below the crankshaft and acts as a guide for the dipstick.

If someone has a picture of this, that would be great.

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 30th, 08, 05:24 PM
Senior Tech
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeburg220 View Post
I'm not talking about the external dipstick tube; I'm talking about the extension tube that's inside of the block/crankcase. It slides up into the block hole to meet the end of the external dipstick tube. The other end protrudes into the crankcase below the crankshaft and acts as a guide for the dipstick.

If someone has a picture of this, that would be great.
Yea, But it goes in from the top, I should have explained that in my post. The block is counterbored as I posted and the lower tube goes in first (from the top side of the engine deck), bottoming against the machined step, then the upper tube is pressed in.
Hope this Helps. Mike.

2002 Jerry Bickle Cavalier, 446" Small Block, Brodix Canted Valve, lenco 5 speed, 7.54 @ 180. mph,1.06 60', 2235 lbs for 2014. GM Canada Docs, Highly Optioned 69 RSZ28 , Hugger Orange, White Stripes, 42,000 mile survivor, owned since 1973.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 30th, 08, 05:51 PM
Senior Tech
Chad

Here is a pic of it http://www.ecklers.com/product.asp?p...77&dept_id=153 As Mike said it goes in from the top and the dipstick tube goes in on top of it.

67 Plum Mist Met. 408 TH350 3.08 posi

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 30th, 08, 08:06 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mark

click! The light just came on! Thanks for the explanation - that makes sense now. I usually take digital pics when I'm getting ready to tear something down, but didn't this time. Cheers

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode