68 BBC alt and power steering bracket questions - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 29th, 08, 06:54 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Snodgrass

68 BBC alt and power steering bracket questions

Putting a 396 back in my 68. Came out with a 396 but currently has a 327. Power steering only -- no AC. Currently has the alt on passenger side and power steering on the driver's side. Hoping it still has the original BBC frame mounts.

1. Will the PS and alt. brackets off the 327 SBC work on my 68 BBC 396 with a long water pump? In other words, will the brackets that fit an SBC with a LWP work on a BBC with a LWP?

2. Will the fan clear the radiator in a 68 with 68 mounts and a LWP?

3. If I go with a SWP on the 396, will PS and alt brakets for a SBC with a SWP work on the BBC -- are BBC SWP brackets the same as SBC SWP brackets?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 29th, 08, 07:08 AM
Senior Tech
clayton hicker

Re: 68 BBC alt and power steering bracket questions

i think the big block has different brackets.im trying to put power steering on my small block and i picked up big block brackets at a swap meet and cant make it work.im running short pump with alt. on driver. side.your fan shouldnt be a problem.

clayton hicker
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 29th, 08, 08:49 AM
Senior Tech
Tom

Smile Re: 68 BBC alt and power steering bracket questions

ALL pulleys and brackets are Big or small block specific. ALL brackets and pulleys are short or long water pump specific. 67/68 used short water pumps and 69 used long water pumps. That is 4 different sets possible !
If you want to use the long water pump in a 67/68 use all parts from a 69.
I would not recommend switching to a long water pump. You must rewire the alternator to fit on the passenger side etc.
It would be much easier to switch to a short water pump, if you all ready have the long pump.
All the Fan shrouds have different part #'s - I don't know what is different.
There is more !

69 Camaro -originally a LM1 car. 327, Edelbrock E-streets, hooker, DUI performance distributors, ultradyne cam, stewart, TRW etc. Vintage Air, AGR steering, Corbeau GTSII seats, 700R4 transmission, 12-bolt w/Eaton 4.11:1

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 29th, 08, 10:31 AM
Senior Tech
Tom

Talking Re: 68 BBC alt and power steering bracket questions

Your harmonic balancer is also different. If you have a new crate engine, be sure you change it along with the water pump.

69 Camaro -originally a LM1 car. 327, Edelbrock E-streets, hooker, DUI performance distributors, ultradyne cam, stewart, TRW etc. Vintage Air, AGR steering, Corbeau GTSII seats, 700R4 transmission, 12-bolt w/Eaton 4.11:1
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 29th, 08, 11:55 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Snodgrass

Alternator's already on the passenger side with the SBC. Assuming none of the current SBC brackets will work on the BBC, I have to decide whether to go SWP or LWP. Pros for SWP appear to be (1) correct config. for 68 and (2) more clearance between fan and radiator. Pros for LWP appear to be that the brackets, etc are much cheaper and more readily available. Anyone have any thoughts on best way to go? Which would be the best way to go if I wanted to add after-market AC?
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 29th, 08, 12:13 PM
Senior Tech
Tom

Talking Re: 68 BBC alt and power steering bracket questions

Since you are basicly starting from scratch, I would get a serpentine setup from an early 90's 454 pick-up. At least I think they were serpentine. As far as a/c, if you go with vintage air, they can be bought to work on either side and short or long water pump.

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 29th, 08, 01:00 PM
Senior Tech
clayton hicker

i would go with the long water pump.the belt is shorter for the alt.plus like you said easy to get the brackets.and to add on the a/c later

clayton hicker
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 29th, 08, 10:24 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Snodgrass

Thanks for all the assist. Didn't really need another option to choose from but is there a howto or any other assistance on switching to an early 90s serpentine setup?
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 29th, 08, 11:06 PM
Senior Tech
Ron

As mentioned you have approx 3 options Long Water Pump ; but I find, that the alternator and fan sticks out too far and the longer belts vibrate too much. I personally like the 70 and later Short Water Pump setup; as it is, tighter, neat and you can mount either the 10SI or CS130 alternator without issues; however as mentioned, the newer serpentine setup is very compact and neat and probably stronger.

Each system is specific with; brackets, pulleys, timing covers and dampers.

Your best bet is to go to a Salvage Yard and get a complete setup from a wreck.

Z15CAM - There was a Viper in my Rear View
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

This was my 70 1/2 Z28

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 30th, 08, 06:50 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Snodgrass

It's my understanding that 69 and later are long water pump setups and that 68 and earlier were short pump setups.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 30th, 08, 08:53 AM
Senior Tech
Tom

Smile Re: 68 BBC alt and power steering bracket questions

You are correct, except for the Corvette and I believe some Chevy pickups. Most brackets are application specific. A post '69 bracket might work and it might not.

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 30th, 08, 02:38 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Snodgrass

I haven't seen how the original SWP alternator bracket bolts on a 68 BBC. Will the SWP alt brackets work OK with headers and mid height valve covers?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode