Short Block Swap with Hood? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 29th, 08, 06:01 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Daniel

Short Block Swap with Hood?

Is it possible to swap short block (i.e. 350ci) with the hood still on the car (1969 Camaro)?

Did someone did it? Any suggestion?

Thanks,
Daniel.

Daniel,
1969 SS-350 Camaro, Hugger Orange
2005 Black Mustang GT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 29th, 08, 06:22 PM
Senior Tech
David

Re: Short Block Swap with Hood?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBODY View Post
Is it possible to swap short block (i.e. 350ci) with the hood still on the car (1969 Camaro)?

Thanks,
Daniel.
Make small alignment marks around both hood hinges on the hood while it's still on the car(you can use tape if you like) and remove it. It's better to do that than to have to replace and repaint a hood.

"All I need is a fast machine". Steve McQueen
My Machine: 1969 Pro Street Camaro

468 CID 661 Horsepower
Turbo 400
33"x19.50" Mickey Thompsons

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 29th, 08, 06:38 PM
Bill

Daniel,
I have never removed a hood from a car to do complete engine swaps. I would think a short block would be a walk in the park.

Bill Koustenis
Owner
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md
1971 Chevelle "Heavy Chevy" original owner

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 29th, 08, 06:55 PM
Tech Team
Chris Robertson

X2 with Bill. Short-block oughta be a snap...lucky!

Frost Green '68 Coupe (yes they made Camaros that year); Dart Alum headed, dynamically balanced 327; Mighty Demon 750; 4sp; Cal-Tracs Rear Susp; ProCar Rally 1000's seats; 15" Rallys. (pretty plain-jane)
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 29th, 08, 07:38 PM
Senior Tech
Mike

I have R&R,d Engines in 67-69 Camaro as well as 63-82 Corvettes/chevy trucks etc, WITHOUT taking the hood off. You have to be extremly carefull and shorten up the engine sling to minimum length, and also the engine must be a bare long block assembly with Intake and Valve covers only. Any other parts only aggravates the install. It helps to have someone hold the hood fully open as the hinges tend to sag from the hood weight. Another set of eyes also helps to keep a watch on the rad support and inner fender aprons/brake booster/oil pan etc., etc.
You also have to be carefull and turn the engine assembly a little sideways until past the radiator support.
Like posted a short block would be easy. It can be done.

Why Dont you want to take off the hood? It makes it a lot easier as you can dress the engine with a lot of the accessories, which keeps any damage from occuring becuase of leaning over the fenders continuly to assemble the engine components in chassis, on the other hand you have to store the hood and also be carefull taking it off and on and aligning it up.
Both ways have their dissadvantages. IMO.

2002 Jerry Bickle Cavalier, 446" Small Block, Brodix Canted Valve, lenco 5 speed, 7.54 @ 180. mph,1.06 60', 2235 lbs for 2014. GM Canada Docs, Highly Optioned 69 RSZ28 , Hugger Orange, White Stripes, 42,000 mile survivor, owned since 1973.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 29th, 08, 08:55 PM
Senior Tech
john

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBODY View Post

Thanks,
Daniel.
SURE!!!

Remember,I'm not making this stuff up!

1969 rs/ss 396 350hp/4spd conv a/c,pw,ps,foldown
1968 Z/28 crossram- j/l8 conv pw,ps,foldown
1963 nova ss 350/4spd conv a/c,ps,pt
1963 nova 400 4dr 6cyl/700r4 a/c
2006 GT/5spd mustang conv
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 29th, 08, 09:53 PM
Senior Tech
Tom

Talking Re: Short Block Swap with Hood?

Are you talking about a small block V-8 engine or a short block ?

Engine definitions:

Small block - a classification of the "small" V-8 engine used since the 50's. Sometimes referred to as a "Mouse".

Big Block - a classification of the larger V-8 engine used in some cars and light trucks. Sometimes referred to as a "Rat".

Short block - engine rebuilders call this one a "short" block as it does not have the heads or external accessories. A short block can be a Small or Big Block or any other engine !

Long Block - engine rebuilders call this the "long" block when the heads and valve train are included. It can also be a Small or Big Block or any other engine

69 Camaro -originally a LM1 car. 327, Edelbrock E-streets, hooker, DUI performance distributors, ultradyne cam, stewart, TRW etc. Vintage Air, AGR steering, Corbeau GTSII seats, 700R4 transmission, 12-bolt w/Eaton 4.11:1
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 29th, 08, 10:19 PM
Senior Tech
Alex Folino

Send a message via AIM to AlexFolino

Its very commonly done. Just do what Wagonman did and protect everything you dont want damaged but mistakes or accidents. I got to help take a motor out of a 69 ss/rs 2 weeks ago that was a damn show car to the max and if your carefull its no problem!

good luck!

GM service technician.

25 years old. I only drive chevys. Everything else and i do mean everything can rust in piece.

68 owner-The only way to go

Camaro: A small vicious animal that eats mustangs.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 30th, 08, 09:47 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Daniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJS69 View Post
Short block - engine rebuilders call this one a "short" block as it does not have the heads or external accessories. A short block can be a Small or Big Block or any other engine !
350 V8 Short Block, without heads nor accessories.

Thanks for all your inputs.

Daniel.

Daniel,
1969 SS-350 Camaro, Hugger Orange
2005 Black Mustang GT

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 30th, 08, 10:33 AM
Senior Tech
Tom

Smile Re: Short Block Swap with Hood?

Question ? Why would you put a short block into the car without first bolting on the heads or other parts on the engine ? It is much easier to install the heads etc. before it is in the car.

69 Camaro -originally a LM1 car. 327, Edelbrock E-streets, hooker, DUI performance distributors, ultradyne cam, stewart, TRW etc. Vintage Air, AGR steering, Corbeau GTSII seats, 700R4 transmission, 12-bolt w/Eaton 4.11:1
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 30th, 08, 04:42 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave C

Send a message via AIM to Pro-Street69Camaro468 Send a message via Yahoo to Pro-Street69Camaro468

I am with putting the heads on before the motor gos in.I think I would take the hood off this way you can use an engine leveler so you can manover the tilt so you don't ding up the fire wall unless the trans is in.Me personaly I think its easier to pull the trans with the motor.This is all recomendations from a plumber keep in mind....

PRO.ST69orange

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 31st, 08, 11:29 AM
Senior Tech

take the hood off- it's like a 5 minute deal to remove it and it makes it much easier to see what you are doing. that hood casts a pretty good shadow and just gets in the way when doing bellhousing bolts and what not.
install the heads and intake on the motor while it's still out of the car- not only will your back thank you, but it's easier to see if you missed anything.

you don't plan sincerity.
you have to make it up on the spot.

wanna hear about 20 years ago when i was too smart to know any better?
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 31st, 08, 12:05 PM
Senior Tech
Tom

Smile Re: Short Block Swap with Hood?

Another, simple way to put the Hood back exactly how it was, is to drill an 1/8" hole in each hinge (only through the inner structure). Then insert a drill bit in each hole, to line it back up, when reinstalling the hood. (I learned this on Muscle Car TV.) You can do this on most body panels, also.

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 09, 01:28 AM
Senior Tech

if you aren't going to be painting the hood hinges while it's apart, then you can just use the marks from the washers under the heads of the bolts that hold the head on- just line it back up in the old marks, and the hood will be right where it was before removing it.

you don't plan sincerity.
you have to make it up on the spot.

wanna hear about 20 years ago when i was too smart to know any better?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode