Remove heater hose fitting from Alum intake - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 09, 10:45 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Remove heater hose fitting from Alum intake

Does anyone out there have any ideas on removing an original steel heater hose fitting from an Aluminum intake? I have already used a heavy duty air impact to no avail. I'm aftraid I will twist the head off or break the manifold before it lets loose. Any ideas?
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 09, 10:48 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

Re: Remove heater hose fitting from Alum intake

Good question. I was trying the same last night. I was going to torch it since mine is only an old Performer.

Let's see what other say...

'67 rs - ordered new by my Grandfather
327 L30, K-K, Deluxe int, tach & gauges, 12 bolt posi, 4 speed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 09, 10:50 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
BILL

Put a litlle heat on the fitting ,then shock it with a hammer, spray with a lubricant(wd40) let it soak in good then use a socket with a rachet to work it out slowly, tighten and loosen back and forth a litlle at a time..

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 09, 10:55 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Mine is a factory 70 Lt-1 mannifold and I definitely don't want to damage it. I cannot believe the tork I put on it already and the thing doesn't budge.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 09, 10:58 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
BILL

soak it down good.. i torched mine ...control your heat, thats the biggest thing...dont get it to hot, keep soaking and working it out..
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 09, 11:40 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Steel and aluminum always have these corrosion issues, causing thread corrosion to swell. If you can, maybe you can collaspe the fitting by tapping with a chisel on the outside of the body. If you have the solid bushing type, you could try to drill out the inside and try to collaspe the wall also.
Soaking it with PB Blaster or LPS will help also. It also helps to have the manifold off the motor. But do use caution with the manifold.

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 09, 02:54 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

I do have the manifold off the engine right now. It sounds like the best thing to do is to soak it for some time. Since it is located on the right front I may be able to get the whole thing submerged. I'm afraid to use any kind of useful heat around that aluminum.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 09, 04:18 PM
Senior Tech
rick

i tried to get one out of a 69 Z intake with no luck .ididn't want to rip the threads out so i took it to a machine shop. i think he drilled it out till it was so thin he peeled it out. saved my threads and me a lot of hassle!
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 09, 05:27 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikesnbroadheads View Post
i tried to get one out of a 69 Z intake with no luck .ididn't want to rip the threads out so i took it to a machine shop. i think he drilled it out till it was so thin he peeled it out. saved my threads and me a lot of hassle!
Thats basically what I was talking about, keep drilling center out until the wall is thin enough to basically peel out. Will involve some large bits.

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 09, 06:53 PM
Tech Team
Harry

I had a plug in a 68 Z/28 intake. same problem-i actually had a breaker bar and cheater bar set up, and still couldn't get it off: took it to a machine shop and they used heat and drill; be careful-you don't want to hurt that manifold. Good Luck
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 09, 07:47 PM

Grind down a hacksaw blade and make 3 or 4 cuts on the inside to relieve some pressure. It will make life a little easier. Just don't go past the threads. Soak and heat if needed. Better to lose a fitting than manifold threads. Andy
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 09, 08:40 PM
Senior Tech
Andy

Send a message via AIM to 67SS&99SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARKY69 View Post
Put a litlle heat on the fitting ,then shock it with a hammer, spray with a lubricant(wd40) let it soak in good then use a socket with a rachet to work it out slowly, tighten and loosen back and forth a litlle at a time..
I agree. The best thing I've found for soaking is PB blaster. I did a longtube header install on a 99 trans am a few weeks ago with 125k miles, and he soaked the bolts every day for a week and I had no problems with any of the bolts. Works like a charm.

1967 Camaro SS: 406 sbc, 522hp/514 ft lbs, Doug's 1 3/4" headers, M20, posi, 3.73's, vintage air gen IV, IROC steering box, Comp Eng. weld-in sfc's & traction bars, chrome US Mags

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode