JB Weld on intake - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 09, 07:08 AM Thread Starter

JB Weld on intake

So i bought a Edelbrock RPM Airgap Manifold off craigslist. Got a good deal on it so i thought. It arrived and it looks like someone had the manifold drilled for NOS injectors. There are holes in all the runners. It has JB weld in the holes and smooted out inside and then ground smooth on the top. I feel scammed and the seller is willing to make this right with me. Is this safe to run?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 09, 07:12 AM
Senior Tech

Re: JB Weld on intake

I'd return it if the seller is willing to refund you. It might not vacuum leak, but I wouldn't want to trust it.

Eric
69 'vert project big block/TKO 600 RR
68 'vert driver RS clone -- gone!
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 09, 07:17 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
BILL

i would definatly return it...sounds like problems down the road....

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 09, 07:55 AM
Senior Tech
jason

shouldn't be a problem.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 09, 07:59 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys. What would you think it would cost to have someone fix it correctly by welding them shut?
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 09, 08:43 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mickey

Last aluminum welding I had done was 75.00. Took him 5 minutes. had to get that hour of labor tho. I swear by JB Weld but would return it too if postage wouldn't make it too expensive. If you get it welded take it to a regular welding shop and not a speciality shop like I did.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 09, 08:49 AM Thread Starter

Im a draftsman at a machine shop we do welding i just dont know if we do aluminum. Surly someone does. Maybe i can get a favor done. Now how do i remove the JB weld is the question.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 09, 08:52 AM
Senior Tech
Chad

Drill it tap the holes and install pipe plugs.

67 Plum Mist Met. 408 TH350 3.08 posi
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 09, 08:55 AM Thread Starter

Sometimes I over look the obvious... thanks! just need a way to remove the jb weld so that it doesnt get sucked into the cylinder. When i say the coated the inside of the runners they coated them probably about a 1 inch square of JB weld
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 09, 09:08 AM
Senior Tech
Chad

Try heating it with a small propane torch.It should scrape off after being heated.

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 09, 09:32 AM
Senior Tech
Bill

Send a message via Yahoo to IDS_Bill

I had a guy grinding pistons for a motorcycle I was racing and ground through the relief for the valve into the ring channel. His solution was to fill it with JB Weld and smooth it. It actually worked although I would never try it again. I was young and broke in college at the time so I went with it...

67 Yenko Tribute - 427/4SPD/Bolero Red
2010 2SS/RS Camaro - Victory Red with White Rally Stripes

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 09, 10:13 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

JB Weld is not an issue. However, appling heat to remove the JB Weld and then later, TIG weld the holes to start over, reface the surfaces mating to the heads for straightness, only need a few thousands removed, say 0.003" min.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 09, 10:59 AM
Senior Tech
Chad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett#2390 View Post
JB Weld is not an issue. However, appling heat to remove the JB Weld and then later, TIG weld the holes to start over, reface the surfaces mating to the heads for straightness, only need a few thousands removed, say 0.003" min.
Not talking about an acetylene torch just one of the little hand held ones.Not enough heat to hurt anything.

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 09, 11:30 AM
Senior Tech
Ron

I would drill out the JB-Weld, tap a thread and install Brass Allen Plugs with Lock-Tite. It would look good and if you ever decided on NOS Injection by all means. The RPM Air Gap comes with Bosses for Fuel or NOS Injectors;o)

You could also use a larger Brass Boss Fitting that protruded with a Plug that would accept NOS Nozzles.

Heating the area with a Propane Torch an use a small wire disc on a drill would ensure you got rid of all the JB-Weld.

Sorry I could not finish the post as my ISP keeps dropping

NOTE: The RPM AIR GAP comes with Injector Bosses. If they are set up to be active I would say it is a Plus.
Clean the intake with lacquer thinner, Sand Bast lightly - Shoot 3 coats of Epoxy Ferris Epoxy Primer and a few coats of Ceramic Acrylic Enamel and bake at 200 F for 20 minutes in your kitchen oven. You will have a finish that is as good as Edelbrocks Endura Shine and looks Stock.

PS: I got rid of the 2 Valve Cover Breather for a properly working PCV System.

As I say the Brass Allen Plugs would look GREAT! ;o)
Like my fabbed Throttle and Gas line brackets - Simple 3/4 x 3/16" flat stock and yes that's a wrench supporting the throttle return spring.

Z15CAM - There was a Viper in my Rear View

This was my 70 1/2 Z28

Last edited by Z15CAM; Jan 8th, 09 at 02:02 PM.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 09, 11:30 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67 Plum View Post
Not talking about an acetylene torch just one of the little hand held ones.Not enough heat to hurt anything.
Agree, Butane pencil torch would work. MAPP gas would work also.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode