Can you tell me anything about this cam? specs included in post - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 09, 10:48 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Denis

Can you tell me anything about this cam? specs included in post

The photo below is what came with the cam when my 383 was built. Can you give me any info on this cam's performance? I know the engine dynoed at 445hp and 498lb/ft of torque, but are these specs considered a "towing/RV" style, or how about for idle and vacuum for power brakes? The engine idles very smoothly, so it doesn't seem very radical for the street. The engine is a new 383, 10.5:1, alum Brodix IK 180 64cc heads, Wieand stealth intake, Holley 650.

I was just wondering about how this cam compares with others.

69 Conv, 383 (445hp, 498lb/ft), TKO600 5 sp, 3.90 12 bolt
A 65K orig mile 307/powerglide car - stock appearance on the outside, many perf mods to make it fun!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 09, 11:43 AM
Senior Tech
greg

Re: Can you tell me anything about this cam? specs included in post

From the .050 figures the cam timing is 4-36-49-2, 110 lsa 106 ICL, with 6 degrees of overlap at .050. Not taking into account the lobe design, this cam has specs very close to the Comp 275DEH cam 219-229 .462-.482 lift 110 lsa 106 ICL. I would not call this an RV cam and with 445 hp and 498 torque of torque you have a very streetable and powerful motor. Obviously your Brodix heads are worth a lot of power. An old Hot Rod cam comparo test, ran the 275DEH cam in a 383 with pretty stock 882 heads with 2.02-1.60 valves, rpm intake, 750 holley and it made better horsepower than a 244-244 duration cam. The 275 made 328 hp at 5000 rpm and 408 TQ. at 3600 rpm. If they had used your heads I am sure they would have made as much power or close to what your engine made. Sounds like a really nice cam you have there and I would keep it!! With 6 degrees of overlap, 10.
5 cr, and 383 cubes you should have plenty of power for your brakes. In a 350 this cam would have a noticeable idle but Comp says the 275DEH is a high performance street cam that can be used with a stock converter. Your bigger cubes and higher compresson ratio smoothes out your idle. You should have at least 14" of vacuum at 900 rpm.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 09, 06:22 AM
Senior Tech
Ron

Re: Can you tell me anything about this cam? specs included in post

In my opinion; that would be a descent 9:1 compression with Automatic Trans Cam at the for the Street and occasional Strip but if running a Manual with descent compression I prefer a cam with a Marine Profile something like (depending on Static Compression) 268/276 Advertised with a .485"/.500 Lift and a 112 LSA which extends the torque range and still able to maintain Hi-Revs for accurate shifts. With your Brodix Heads and what 10.5:1 Static I would look for somewhere around a .515" int and .525" ext lift. If you're into Drag rather then Canyon Running use them specs with a 106 or 108 LSA to peek shift points with a manual tranny. Generally if you use less LSA you can increase the intake duration and lift and shorten up on the exhaust duration and lift - this would suit Drag and kill low end and mid range torque need for taller gears and Road Performance with a Manual and the profile is more suited for an Automatic with a Hole Shot.

That particular cam is low on lift with long intake duration and a 110 LSA you say an RV CAM - perhaps but with a narrow torque range and peeky Hp more suited for a 9:1 pretender. There are other variables like; Weight of Ride, Valve Size, Port Flow, Fuel distribution, Gearing, Tire Dia ... etc.

Z15CAM - There was a Viper in my Rear View
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

This was my 70 1/2 Z28

Last edited by Z15CAM; Jan 9th, 09 at 08:01 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode