Summit multi-spark digital ignition boxes ... worthwhile? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 09, 09:07 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Denis

Summit multi-spark digital ignition boxes ... worthwhile?

Is there any advantage to running a multi-spark digital ignition in a street/strip vehicle? Summit offers their SUM-850600 (http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku) for $169.95 (along with $15 Summit bucks) which seems pretty reasonable.

Specs:
Part Number: SUM-850600 Ignition Box Output: Capacitive discharge Circuitry: Digital Rev Limiter: Yes Timing Retard: None Data Acquisition: No CD Voltage Output to Coil: 520 V Current Draw: 0.6 amps per 1,000 rpm Spark Output (millijoules): 135 Millijoules Minimum Operating Voltage: 8 V Maximum Operating Voltage: 16 V Length (in): 8.000 in. Height (in): 2.750 in. Width (in): 3.500 in. Ignition Box Color: Black Coil Included: No Warranty: One-year warranty Quantity: Sold individually. Notes: Not CARB approved. This ignition box fits most 4, 6, or 8-cylinder vehicles with a distributor, and a 12-18V electrical system.

Since my '69 is a 5 speed, I really like the idea of the rev limiter. My goal is just to make the most of the engine I already have without great expense. I've read other posts on MSD boxes failing, but like some people have replied, other electronic parts may fail just as often. I'm just looking for opinions before I decide weather I'll order one or not. How would you compare this Summit unit to others (Accel, MSD, Mallory, Pertronix, etc)?

69 Conv, 383 (445hp, 498lb/ft), TKO600 5 sp, 3.90 12 bolt
A 65K orig mile 307/powerglide car - stock appearance on the outside, many perf mods to make it fun!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 09, 01:02 PM
Senior Tech
TC

Re: Summit multi-spark digital ignition boxes ... worthwhile?

I'm running it and like it. I have almost 1000 miles with my new resto and no complaints. I haven't hit the rev limiter yet, but will this spring due to engine break-in.

1968 Camaro RS orig AC car, ZZ Fatburn, Doug's D368 Headers, Tremec TKO600 w/ Hurst Blackjack, 12 Bolt Posi 3:73 mulitleaf, SFC's, Budniks, Hotchkis, Magnaflow, etc
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 09, 10:34 PM
Senior Tech
Charlie

Most of the time Summit has their parts made for them by someone else and they just put their name on it. More than likely, that box is made by someone like MSD or Jacobs. Call them and ask them who makes the box for them.

Charlie Knudsen 67 Camaro RS/SS 350 TKO 600, 4.10's, AFR 195 Street Heads, Comp 270H, Rhoads Lifters, Crane Ignition, Pertronix Dizzy, Performer RPM Q-Jet, Heavily Modified Q-Jet, Hooker Comp Headers, MagnaFlow 2 1/2", 144 Decibles(Alpine CDA-7998 Head Unit, RF X7 and RF 750X Amps, MB Quart Mid's & High's, Kicker L7 12" Solo Barics)

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 09, 12:51 AM
Tech Team

if i remember right the specs and design are identical to the mallory setup.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 09, 02:00 AM
Senior Tech
Ron

Ensure you DIODE the relays in your ride or use relays with diodes built into them, especially if you run electric fans as they will create EMF spikes and burn transistors in the MPC (Micro Processor Circuits) of the CD Module and Electronic Trigger of the Distributor. The old wiring of our rides were never designed to handle modern MPC; even then carry your old Points Dizzy in the trunk.

One thing I got to say about Mallory is that they have an excellent customer service and tech department and will repair their units after warranty for minimal cost.

Z15CAM - There was a Viper in my Rear View
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

This was my 70 1/2 Z28

Last edited by Z15CAM; Jan 10th, 09 at 02:42 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode