rocker arms...1/4 more turn??? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 09, 11:43 AM Thread Starter

rocker arms...1/4 more turn???

74 LS4 454 hyd lifter Comp 260 HE

I have adjusted my rockers using the TDC 1 / TDC 6 method. After about 100 miles on this totally fresh motor, I have a couple of "tick ticks" that are just agravating.

IF I re-adjust the rockers again....should I be OK with an additional QUARTER or EIGHTH of a turn on the ones that I can still "spin" the pushrods with my fingers ????

I don't want to go too tight and use up the "hyd space" provided with the lifters.....but I dont want to listen to the tick tick tick either.

Thanks for any help here ...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 09, 12:33 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Re: rocker arms...1/4 more turn???

Normal adjustment is 1 full turn from initial contact. However, a performance adjustment was 1/4-1/2 turn to prevent pump-up at higher rpms.

Usually, the locknuts are on the same thread of all studs if they are at the same height for a fast visual reference, at least on SBC's, 3 threads would be showing atop the adjusting nut if using stack crimp nuts.

Sometimes, aftermarket lifters have alot of clearance between the inner body and outer body or the check ball isn't as round as it should be or the seat for the ball isn't a mirror finish for good seating. General fix is to replace the lifter(s). The faulty lifters will be the ones with a sunken inner body, not up against the snap ring, sunk about 1/8 inch.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 09, 12:39 PM
Senior Tech
AJ

Are you 100% sure it's not an exhaust leak?

The only Mustang I'd ever own is a Fender.

'68 333" Camaro
'14 5.0 Mustang

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 09, 01:09 PM
Senior Tech

pop off one valve cover, start the motor, and loosen each rocker arm until it just starts to clatter and tighten it back up until it just stops clattering.
after all 8 on that side are done, shut off the motor and turn them all an additional 1/2 turn.
put that valve cover back on, take off the other one, and repeat the procedure.
if your locknuts are good, then that should be the last time you'll ever have to mess with them.

you don't plan sincerity.
you have to make it up on the spot.

wanna hear about 20 years ago when i was too smart to know any better?
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 09, 02:00 PM
Senior Tech
Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by novaderrik View Post
pop off one valve cover, start the motor, and loosen each rocker arm until it just starts to clatter and tighten it back up until it just stops clattering.
after all 8 on that side are done, shut off the motor and turn them all an additional 1/2 turn.
if your locknuts are good, then that should be the last time you'll ever have to mess with them.
I have done this similar procedure, except with motor running I loosen rocker until it clatters, tighten until it just stops then 1/4 turn more and you are done. you must be quick or the oil will overflow the head onto the exhaust.

Jason

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 09, 02:39 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhorn View Post
you must be quick or the oil will overflow the head onto the exhaust.
The exhaust manifolds, the inner fenders, the outer fenders, upper control arms, frame rails, your arms, the driveway, and anywhere else you don't want it.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 09, 04:50 PM
Senior Tech
Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett#2390 View Post
The exhaust manifolds, the inner fenders, the outer fenders, upper control arms, frame rails, your arms, the driveway, and anywhere else you don't want it.
my guess is you have done it this way before

Jason

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 09, 05:52 PM
Senior Tech
Todd

Quote:
Originally Posted by novaderrik View Post
Doubt I try it on mine...even though it works. Not much for making a mess of my headers and everything else in sight.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 09, 05:58 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

Quote:
Normal adjustment is 1 full turn from initial contact. However, a performance adjustment was 1/4-1/2 turn to prevent pump-up at higher rpms.
Factory installed hyd cams typically call for 1 full turn. The aftermarket manufactures have their own spec's. Comp hyd cams call for 1/2 turn...

As an experiment I adjusted my comps 1 full turn and the engine ran fine but when I reset them to 1/2 turn I picked up 2" of vacuum at idle...

...Dennis

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 09, 06:32 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas69 View Post
Doubt I try it on mine...even though it works. Not much for making a mess of my headers and everything else in sight.
I can do mine running wihout losing a drop. I don't get a lot of oil up thruogh the morel hydraulic lifters, and the valve cover rail on my afr heads is high enough that the oil won't overflow like a stock head.

Still, I always roll up a towel and pull it between the head, the header, and the plug wires, and another on the inner fender.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 09, 05:06 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Thanks, Dennis, for the refresh - correct - OEM is 1 turn.
Yes, I did live valve adjusting ONCE - then I did as JimM, towels everywhere and the lowest idle rpm I could obtain.

'
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 09, 05:31 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

Quote:
Thanks, Dennis, for the refresh - correct - OEM is 1 turn.
Yes, I did live valve adjusting ONCE - then I did as JimM, towels everywhere and the lowest idle rpm I could obtain.
Any self respecting Chevy "car guy" has a couple of old junk valve covers with the top cut off just for doing this hanging on the wall of his shop...
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 09, 07:19 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHBandit View Post
Any self respecting Chevy "car guy" has a couple of old junk valve covers with the top cut off just for doing this hanging on the wall of his shop...
Of course........

'
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 09, 03:52 PM
Senior Tech
john

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace's68 View Post
Are you 100% sure it's not an exhaust leak?
this is a very good question!

before adjusting anything,determine where the moise is coming from!

using a piece od vacc tubing..listen along the ex-manifold and inside the valve covers.stick the hose inside the oil fill cap and pcv grommet.

you should have a good idea which valve it is before you pull off any covers....

Remember,I'm not making this stuff up!

1969 rs/ss 396 350hp/4spd conv a/c,pw,ps,foldown
1968 Z/28 crossram- j/l8 conv pw,ps,foldown
1963 nova ss 350/4spd conv a/c,ps,pt
1963 nova 400 4dr 6cyl/700r4 a/c
2006 GT/5spd mustang conv
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 09, 09:23 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Russ

There are little metal clips that attach to the rockers made for adjusting the valves to minimize the oil spill on hydraulic cams. My father has a set thet I have used before with good results.

Russ
'67 4 speed coupe
'67 rs coupe
'94 6 speed z-28
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode