oil pump drive shoot me now - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 09, 02:22 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

oil pump drive shoot me now

yea i left the drive out. motor is in car any way possible to instal from top, what if i machine the colar down ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 09, 02:31 PM
Senior Tech
Al

Re: oil pump drive shoot me now

Good question - I think it has to go in from the bottom. There is a plastic collar that mates it to the oil pump (or steel collar) and I don't see how you could do this from above - but maybe someone has a tricky solution.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 09, 02:39 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

I did something simular years ago, I forgot to tighten oil pump on a 4wd S10 pu
while working at a Chevy dealer. Had to remove engine to tighten

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 09, 03:27 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave M

Quote:
Originally Posted by sicdog View Post
yea i left the drive out. motor is in car any way possible to instal from top, what if i machine the colar down ?
Nope...don't do it. I wouldn't cut any corners at this point if I were ou, you'll forever regret it. Suck it up and pull the motor to do it right. If it's a SB you can get the oil pan off with the engine in the car but that's a recipe for an oil leak...guaranteed.

Dave Miller

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 09, 03:27 PM
Senior Tech
Tom

The retaining sleeve on the shaft that keeps it on the oil pump output shaft is too big to pass thru the hole in the block below the distributor. It needs to be done from the bottom, either remove the engine or you may be able to get the oil pan off in the car but not usuakky an easy to do. In most case the pan design plays a part in whether or not you can get it out. The flywheel also usually gets in the way also.

Tom

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 09, 06:54 PM
Senior Tech
Patrick

You can take off the collar and use an extending magnetic thing and drop in the shaft. I have done this several times. You will have no problems dropping it in from the top.

For example: I have taken many engines apart that were assembled with the plastic sleeve and found them broken laying in the oil pan and they were still running with no problems.

I have also worked on engines that when I removed the distributor, the oil pump shaft was stuck in the distributor bottom with oil sludge. I just dropped them back in and everything was fine.

69RS/SS,383,10:1cr,4.10,60ft1.6sec,1/[email protected],1/[email protected],Vicjr,RPMheads,750dp, Proform main body, cam,246*-250*@.050,.510,522,1.6rr,700r4,3200stall
383 IS SOLD!
Building a 489BBC

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 09, 07:08 PM
Senior Tech
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedfreek View Post
You can take off the collar and use an extending magnetic thing and drop in the shaft. I have done this several times. You will have no problems.

For example: I have taken many engines apart that were assembled with the plastic sleeve and found them broken laying in the oil pan and they were still running with no problems.
Patrick, No Offence, I hate to dissagree, and Yes it will work without the sleeve and it will run, BUT, if the sleeve is missing there is nothing to centre the oil pump drive rod on the pump. The rod will still drive the pump, but it tends to float? around a little and mark up the rod where it passes through the rear main cap as well as mark up the corresponding pump gear shaft tangs. The rods do not fit that tight in the bottom of the dist gear and they tend to wobble around, I have even heard them make a rattling noise with no sleeve. I had a 87 Iroc Camaro years ago that had this weird noise and I finally chased it down to no sleeve. The noise drove me crazy wondering what it was, as you allways think the worse case scenario.
I would pull the pan and put it in, GM and Melling etc., put them in for a reason. JMO.

2002 Jerry Bickle Cavalier, 446" Small Block, Brodix Canted Valve, lenco 5 speed, 7.54 @ 180. mph,1.06 60', 2235 lbs for 2014. GM Canada Docs, Highly Optioned 69 RSZ28 , Hugger Orange, White Stripes, 42,000 mile survivor, owned since 1973.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode