Fuel Pressure Guage - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 09, 07:48 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Greg

Fuel Pressure Guage

I see alot of fuel pressure guages under the hood, obviously visible to see. I put one, non liquid filled and very cheap, on my car but it bounces like crazy so I'd like to replace it. It's a standard screw into a fuel block guage. Anyone want to recommend a guage, maybe what you're using and are happy with? Price and where to get would be very helpful too. Thanks guys...

Oh yeah, if you want to see what I have now I have pix in the Showroom, page 1, last pic on the bottom right. It's the red car with the dual side-by-side carbs. I think the Showroom may be reserved only for members though??? Thanks again...

Greg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 09, 09:17 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Re: Fuel Pressure Guage

I lost several of these hi dollar , liquid filled guages to needle bouncing, could not find the correct screw dampner setting. I went to elcheapo Holley dry gauge and it does not bounce. So far so good but the best set up I think , is the isolater type gauge that can be mounted inside vehicle. Little more bucks but its the end to under hood gauge fails, or it was for me. Just my 2 ¢

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 09, 10:35 AM
Senior Tech
Charlie

Have you tried a liquid filled type gauge? I run this style and the needle is rock solid.

Charlie Knudsen 67 Camaro RS/SS 350 TKO 600, 4.10's, AFR 195 Street Heads, Comp 270H, Rhoads Lifters, Crane Ignition, Pertronix Dizzy, Performer RPM Q-Jet, Heavily Modified Q-Jet, Hooker Comp Headers, MagnaFlow 2 1/2", 144 Decibles(Alpine CDA-7998 Head Unit, RF X7 and RF 750X Amps, MB Quart Mid's & High's, Kicker L7 12" Solo Barics)

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 09, 10:45 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Greg

Don/Charlie, thanks for responding. Charlie, could I ask you to maybe point me to a specific guage? Maybe one on Summit, or Jeg's or Rick's? Maybe the one you use that's rock solid? Again, thanks.....

Greg
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 09, 11:43 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

What I have used, http://www.jegs.com/i/NOS/741/15900/10002/-1#

What I am using now, http://www.jegs.com/i/Holley/510/26-500/10002/-1

When this fails, I will use this,

http://www.jegs.com/i/Auto+Meter/105/5411/10002/-1

With this, http://www.jegs.com/i/Auto+Meter/105/5282/10002/-1

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 09, 12:57 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Greg

The Holley you're using now looks like exactly what I need. 0-15 is perfect as I run 6-8 psi. I'll ask Jeg's to make sure this is liquid filled, don't want to waste $26. Thanks much Don....

Greg
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 09, 01:22 PM
Banned
Ron

I have a non liquid filled Summit gauge which was bouncing like a son of a gun and the needle would not return to 0!....I disassembled the gauge and readjusted the needle and was successful!....The needle returns to 0 and no longer bounces!.....Give this a try before you purchase another one.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 09, 02:07 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Greg

Hmmm, how do you adjust the needle Ron? There's no adjustment screw or anything on the back, it's just a simple guage. The guage I'm using came with a really cheap dual inline carb thing, we've all seen I'm sure (chrome plated, woooooo). But yeah, start the car and the needle is going crazy even at idle. Thanks Ron.

Greg
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 09, 02:18 PM
Banned
Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg1ontheedge View Post
Hmmm, how do you adjust the needle Ron? There's no adjustment screw or anything on the back, it's just a simple guage. The guage I'm using came with a really cheap dual inline carb thing, we've all seen I'm sure (chrome plated, woooooo). But yeah, start the car and the needle is going crazy even at idle. Thanks Ron.

I don't know quite how to explain it but if you take it apart, you'll see a thin spring like thing, which the needle is attached too....I bent this slightly to put more pressure on the needle so it would return fully to 0 and it worked!....The needle never fluctuated or bounced around after that and is still accurate!....You have nothing to loose and should at least give it a try!
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 09, 02:30 PM
Banned
Ron

Remove the cover and bring the needle up and see if it returns fully back to 0.....If it doesn't quickly return then you can bend the mechanism to put more pressure on the needle....I believe this is what causes the bouncing around because of lack of return pressure!....I hope you grasp what I'm trying to say!
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 09, 02:33 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Greg

Well, probably won't get to it til the weekend but got nothin to lose. And the recommended liquid filled guage is like $27, probably $30 with shipping. I got no money to just waste if I got a part I can fix. Thanks Ron.

Greg
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 09, 02:51 PM
Banned
Ron

Quote:
I got no money to just waste if I got a part I can fix. Thanks Ron.

You're Welcome Greg!.....Your thinking is just like mine!.....I had this nice chrome, yet defective, Summit gauge laying around for probably 10 years and really didn't want to buy one unless I really had too so that's when I decided to take it apart and fiddle around with it and fix it and it worked out excellent!
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 09, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Greg

Well, I'll be 'adjustin' before I'm 'buyin'. Thanks Ron, and as always this site is always here for ya.....

Greg
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 09, 05:47 PM
Banned
Ron

Quote:
Well, I'll be 'adjustin' before I'm 'buyin'. Thanks Ron, and as always this site is always here for ya.....

You're welcome again Greg!.....I think it really pays to be mechanically inclined, eager to take things apart to see how they function then fix them with no instruction what so ever!.....It's truly a gift!
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 09, 06:43 AM
Senior Tech
Charlie

I run this one from my local race parts store, but I would think any liquid filled gauge would do the job. The liquid is what steadies the needle, but you need to be careful about extreme heat. The liquid is temp sensitive. Pressure builds and makes the needle read low at times. When this happens, simply carefully lift the rubber seal and equalize the pressure and it works perfectly again. If you mount it down near the frame rail, you won't have this issue. Mount it on your pressure regulator and down on the frame rail.

Charlie Knudsen 67 Camaro RS/SS 350 TKO 600, 4.10's, AFR 195 Street Heads, Comp 270H, Rhoads Lifters, Crane Ignition, Pertronix Dizzy, Performer RPM Q-Jet, Heavily Modified Q-Jet, Hooker Comp Headers, MagnaFlow 2 1/2", 144 Decibles(Alpine CDA-7998 Head Unit, RF X7 and RF 750X Amps, MB Quart Mid's & High's, Kicker L7 12" Solo Barics)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode