69 Z28 full floating rods? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 09, 08:47 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

69 Z28 full floating rods?

I searched this topic and did not find anything... Can someone explain what the term "full floating rods" means? And post pics of "full floating rods" and the "pressed pin type." I understand that many rods came with the "O" cast on the cap but that does NOT make them 69 Z28 rods??? How can I look at a set of rods and know if they are the "shot peaned, full floating "O" rods for a 69 Z28?

I'd like to buy a set and I'm want to make sure that I can identify them before I start looking...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 09, 09:08 AM
Senior Tech
Jimmy V

Re: 69 Z28 full floating rods?

Pressed Pin rods are exactly that, the pins are press fit into the rod, and require a press to be installed. The press fit is what holds them in place. So the piston/pin/rod is assembled together when the pin is pressed into place. The pin also cannot rotate in the rod because of the press fit.

With full floating rods, the pin will slide right through the rod and can rotate within the rod. Your can put them in and take them out by hand. In order to hold them in place, there are retainer rings installed in the piston at each end of the pin.

Hope this helps some.

Jimmy V.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 09, 01:24 PM
Senior Tech

Rods are not pressed on, they are heated so the hole expands then quickly installed on the cold wrist pin. The press is involved when you take them apart.

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM ...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
Semper Fi! L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft, B Co 3rd AT's, Khe Sanh Combat Base, February, 1968

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 09, 01:51 PM
Senior Tech
Jimmy V

Huh, learn something new everyday. I always assumed the were pressed in as well as out.

Jimmy V.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 09, 02:19 PM
Senior Tech
Ron

If you attempt to press a pin into a rod you can be assured of wrist pin failure. If you attempt to use a torch to heat the end of the rod in order to slide the pin through the piston and rod you will have wrist pin failure and more likely a rod failure. There is a specific "Temperature" which is MFGr'd spec for the rod and a special oven to heat the small rod end to the correct temperature to so that the pin will slide through the piston and rod end by hand and let the assembly cool naturally. It takes a better part of an afternoon to do a complete set. That is why the small end of a pressed rod has a blue tinge to it.

Z15CAM - There was a Viper in my Rear View
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

This was my 70 1/2 Z28

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Z15CAM; Jan 13th, 09 at 02:51 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
69 z28, full floating, rods

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode