Good Idea on a 1411 Edelbrock Carb - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 45 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 09, 02:12 PM Thread Starter

Good Idea on a 1411 Edelbrock Carb

I can get a 750CFM 1411 Edelbrock Carb for $100 but it has been used for a while and the condition is unknown. Is this a good idea. What would it cost to rebuild it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 09, 02:14 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
BILL

Re: Good Idea on a 1411 Edelbrock Carb

save your money a get holley (imo)a new 1411 is $319.00 at advance auto, rebuild kits are $29.00 ..
post #3 of 45 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 09, 02:58 PM
Senior Tech
Charlie

Forget both the Edelbrock and the Holley and go with a Q-Jet. There is no better carb for the street, PERIOD!!!

Charlie Knudsen 67 Camaro RS/SS 350 TKO 600, 4.10's, AFR 195 Street Heads, Comp 270H, Rhoads Lifters, Crane Ignition, Pertronix Dizzy, Performer RPM Q-Jet, Heavily Modified Q-Jet, Hooker Comp Headers, MagnaFlow 2 1/2", 144 Decibles(Alpine CDA-7998 Head Unit, RF X7 and RF 750X Amps, MB Quart Mid's & High's, Kicker L7 12" Solo Barics)

post #4 of 45 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 09, 05:36 PM
Banned
Ron

I have one of those that was given to me.....I just recently finished renewing it and upon disassembly, I discovered one of the floats was filled with gasoline so I just had to purchase a float kit.....I recommend completely disassembling it and soak all the parts in carb solvent overnight.....Shake the floats to make sure they are dry then adjust them properly....The #1411 is calibrated 2% leaner than the #1407 (750 cfm) for use on a big block chevy engine.....The only differences are leaner primary jets and metering rods, other than that, everything else is the same!.....If you do decide to purchase it and want to fiddle around with the jets (increase size) make sure you get the old ones out first as they can be a real pain in the ***!.....If you find that you cracked the slot on the jet while attempting to unscrew it with a screwdriver then STOP!, that jet is frozen in there and will be impossible to remove without destroying the carb!....An easier way would be to just run the correct size drill bit to increase the diameter of the jet!.....The casting date on mine is 5-99, which is an early model.....I like the fact that the #1411 is factory equipped with an electric choke assembly, the #1407 only has a manual choke.....Even though I haven't had a chance to run this carb on my motor yet, I believe it will suit my needs especially when upgrading from a Holley 600 cfm, which I'm currently running, to a 750 cfm!.....But yeah, if that's all you can afford then go for it but personally, I would rather have a nice Holley Double Pumper!
post #5 of 45 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 09, 05:11 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
BILL

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67camarors/ss View Post
forget both the edelbrock and the holley and go with a q-jet. There is no better carb for the street, period!!!
gotta love the hardcore q jet guys:...strong statement from outdated technology!! THATS JUST MY OPINION( NO HARM INTENDED!!)
post #6 of 45 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 09, 05:29 AM
Senior Tech

What technology does the Q-jet lack, compared to the other carbs?

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM ...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
Semper Fi! L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft, B Co 3rd AT's, Khe Sanh Combat Base, February, 1968
post #7 of 45 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 09, 05:37 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
BILL

Quote:
Originally Posted by onovakind67 View Post
What technology does the Q-jet lack, compared to the other carbs?
flow for one, jet extensions in a qjet??, 30 or 50 cc pumps in a qjet??, annualr boosters for fuel disapation...man the list goes on......site level glass, easy to adjust your float levels, the ease of changing jets, power valve replacements, a holley you can build in what 15 mins?? how long does it take you to go thrugh a qjet, and can you do it on the side of the road easy??? plus there are a lot of options holley offers for the street and race applications, qjet not even close!!! how many different flange options are there for a qjet without using a adapter plate( all this is technology ).......i can keep going!( of cousre this is just just my opinion ) dont get me wrong guys, i love a q jet on a stock street car with macthing numbers..SEMPER FI.....ONOVAKIND67

Last edited by SPARKY69; Jan 16th, 09 at 07:19 AM.
post #8 of 45 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 09, 06:23 AM
Senior Tech
Charlie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARKY69 View Post
flow for one, jet extensions in a qjet??, 30 or 50 cc pumps in a qjet??, annualr boosters for fuel disapation...man the list goes on......site level glass, easy to adjust your float levels, the ease of changing jets, power valve replacements, a holley you can build in what 15 mins?? how long does it take you to go thrugh a qjet, and can you do it on the side of the road easy??? plus there are a lot of options holley offers for the street and race applications, qjet not even close!!! how many different flange options are there for a qjet without using a adapter plate( all this is technology ).......i can keep going!( of cousre this is just just my opinion ) dont get me wrong guys, i love a q jet on a stock street car with macthing numbers..
My Q-Jet flows over 800cfm. I have absloutely no need for jet extensions. The Q-Jet doesn't have a power valve and the float is easy to set, IF YOU KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING. I will put my modified Q-Jet up against a Holley ANY DAY!!! To change the jets in a Q-Jet is the same for a Carter AFB/Edelbrock. I can do a jet change in less than 5 minutes. Like I said, if you know what you're doing, it's simple. The Q-Jet is MORE THAN CAPABLE of supporting well over 800hp. More even and with the spreadbore flange, you get AWESOME mileage and power at the same time. I had an Edelbrock Thunder AVS 650 and I switched to the Q-Jet and I have NEVER looked back. The Q-Jet delivers more power/torque and better mileage than the Edelbrock ever could. Don't get me wrong, the Q-Jet does take some knowledge to get it to a point where it will work on ANYTHING other than what it was originally designed for, but once it's there, there is nothing better. I would put my Q-Jet up against any carb on the street.

Charlie Knudsen 67 Camaro RS/SS 350 TKO 600, 4.10's, AFR 195 Street Heads, Comp 270H, Rhoads Lifters, Crane Ignition, Pertronix Dizzy, Performer RPM Q-Jet, Heavily Modified Q-Jet, Hooker Comp Headers, MagnaFlow 2 1/2", 144 Decibles(Alpine CDA-7998 Head Unit, RF X7 and RF 750X Amps, MB Quart Mid's & High's, Kicker L7 12" Solo Barics)
post #9 of 45 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 09, 06:28 AM
Senior Tech

With its centrally located jets, the Q-jet doesn't need jet extensions. They're a crutch developed for the deficiency in the Holley jet location.
The total fuel available in the in the accelerator circuits in a Q-jet is more than twice the amount available in the Holley.
Ever hear of a Q-jet with a blown up power enrichment circuit? No power valves to worry about. Where's the part throttle mixture adjustment on the Holley?
Ease of changing jets? Can you change the mixture of both rear barrels in less than a minute by removing one screw and spilling no gas?
Don't get me wrong, I like Holley carburetors but I don't think that they work any better than a Q-jet on the street.

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM ...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
Semper Fi! L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft, B Co 3rd AT's, Khe Sanh Combat Base, February, 1968
post #10 of 45 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 09, 06:37 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
BILL

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67camarors/ss View Post
my q-jet flows over 800cfm. I have absloutely no need for jet extensions. The q-jet doesn't have a power valve and the float is easy to set, if you know what you're doing. i will put my modified q-jet up against a holley any day!!! To change the jets in a q-jet is the same for a carter afb/edelbrock. I can do a jet change in less than 5 minutes. Like i said, if you know what you're doing, it's simple. The q-jet is more than capable of supporting well over 800hp. More even and with the spreadbore flange, you get awesome mileage and power at the same time. I had an edelbrock thunder avs 650 and i switched to the q-jet and i have never looked back. The q-jet delivers more power/torque and better mileage than the edelbrock ever could. Don't get me wrong, the q-jet does take some knowledge to get it to a point where it will work on anything other than what it was originally designed for, but once it's there, there is nothing better. I would put my q-jet up against any carb on the street.
i agree with qjet over a ebroc any day but not a holley... a novice can pick up on a holley and how it works and how to rebuild it quicker than a q jet...a litlle eaiser on the repair side of things also..a edlbrock carb, forgetaboutit..(lol) i was a big q jet fan on everything untill i bought a holley 4150 style 850 on my car and havent looked back!!

Last edited by SPARKY69; Jan 16th, 09 at 07:41 AM.
post #11 of 45 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 09, 06:40 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
BILL

Quote:
with its centrally located jets, the q-jet doesn't need jet extensions. They're a crutch developed for the deficiency in the holley jet location.
The total fuel available in the in the accelerator circuits in a q-jet is more than twice the amount available in the holley.
Ever hear of a q-jet with a blown up power enrichment circuit? No power valves to worry about. Where's the part throttle mixture adjustment on the holley?
Ease of changing jets? Can you change the mixture of both rear barrels in less than a minute by removing one screw and spilling no gas?
Don't get me wrong, i like holley carburetors but i don't think that they work any better than a q-jet on the street.
q jets are good carbs...maybe its me, i just never had the best performance out of them on the street...i think the holleys have spoiled me..(imo)

Last edited by SPARKY69; Jan 16th, 09 at 07:42 AM.
post #12 of 45 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 09, 07:51 AM

From my personal experience........ Q-Jet's are good carb's for factory appt's, but lack in the flow department all the way around. And if you have a mild build up and on a budget, edlebrock is the way to go. Edelbrock bought out Q-Jet some years back. Edelbrock has also broke it down barny style and made it easy as 2 screws to adjust to get your fuel air ratio, one screw for your idle. They are easy to rebuild and change the jets out to make into bigger cfm. So, really all you need is a 600 edelbrock and if it don't fit your need, go buy the jet's for 650,700,or whatever size you want to run.
Holley is a awesome carb..... Once you have it adjusted right. This carb is not for someone that lacks the knowledge to adjust the many screws. One wrong turn and you may have to start all over again. Other than that, I would put this carb on any application. And so far I have never had to rebuild a holley. My 750 has out preformed any other application I have had on my motor and I am putting it on my 96 LT1 350.

Since I am in the military, over my last deployment I left a vehicle with q-jet, a vehicle with edelbrock, and I vehicle with a holley on it. These three where left setting for a 15 month deployment. I ran all fuel out of these appts by taking the fuel line of when parking them. When I came back, I prime all three...... Needless to say, I drove the Edelbrock and holley appt's away. The q-jet carb was junk after setting for a year and three months! So, in the end I would rather a Edel over a Q-Jet (quadra junk), but over all my choice for street and strip performance is Holley. Not to mention, but you also get better gas mileage out of Holley carbs.
If you are interested in purchasing you a Holley for a cheaper price than a brand new one, check out this site www.craigslist.org You just pay attention to the Parts listing's and you should be able to find one.
post #13 of 45 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 09, 09:05 AM
Senior Tech

I had just the opposite experience. My SBC had been sitting for about 4 years with a Q-jet and I basically primed the carb and it fired right up. I also found that the $25 800 cfm Q-jet I used on the car got about 1/3 better mileage than the $250 850 Holley it replaced.

post #14 of 45 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 09, 09:11 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
BILL

Quote:
I had just the opposite experience. My SBC had been sitting for about 4 years with a Q-jet and I basically primed the carb and it fired right up. I also found that the $25 800 cfm Q-jet I used on the car got about 1/3 better mileage than the $250 850 Holley it replaced.
nobody cares about gas mileage on a muscle car!!!
post #15 of 45 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 09, 09:13 AM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARKY69 View Post
nobody cares about gas mileage on a muscle car!!!
It wasn't a muscle car, it was just an 11-second tow car...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode