Edelbrock 1406 Problems 67 Camaro - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 09, 03:02 PM Thread Starter

Edelbrock 1406 Problems 67 Camaro

Hey Guys,

I am having a big problem with the Edelbrock carb I put on my 1967 Camaro with a 350.

The carb is a Edelbrock 1406 Performer Series. I believe it is 600 cfm. I live in Colorado at 5800' Elevation so I put 1456 rods and 1424 rods in it.

Ever since I have put this carburetor on the passenger side band is running pig rich, at idle it is putting out clouds of smoke and while driving is even worse. The car starts up fine and doesn't choke out at all. It also doesn't seem to respond very well at all when I turn the adjustments up front all the way in. I was thinking that I possibly had to much fuel pressure so I bought a regulator and a gauge since it has a external electric fuel pump and I am only showing 2-3 psi fp at idle.

If anyone has any idea's it would help because I have been pulling my hair out for a few months with this and I am obviously stupid when it comes to carbs

Here is a pic of how everything is hooked up to the carb just in case I did something wrong,

Thanks!

John

Last edited by johnEB; Jan 16th, 09 at 07:02 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 09, 05:03 PM
Banned
Ron

Re: Edelbrock 1406 Problems 67 Camaro

What's your vacuum reading at an idle?.....Did you happen to change the metering rod springs when you changed the metering rods?.....I believe the stock springs are orange (5"Hg) but I'd have to look that up.....It sort of appears that something is going on with the idle circuit!

Also, did you try running your vacuum advance to the "full" vacuum port on the other side?
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 09, 05:04 PM
Senior Tech

http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_...ers_manual.pdf

I assume you mean 1424 jets. .073 on the lean step with a .089 jet... that's pretty lean. but you are at 5800ft. the manual i linked to above gives some guidelines for high altitude operation.

What exactly are the problems you're having? does the car run and drive okay, you just have the smoke problem? tell us more about the driveability.

what color smoke? black smoke indicates excessively rich. if it's white or blue smoke the problem isn't the carb, you've got a coolant/oil leak on the right bank. turning in the idle screws all the way cuts off the fuel to the idle circuit and will stall the car when at idle.

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 09, 05:06 PM
Senior Tech

and when you say "adjustments up front" i'm assuming you mean the idle mixture screws.

one other thing i noticed is that your vacuum advance is hooked up to ported vacuum. i'd switch it to full manifold vacuum (the port you have capped off) and cap off the ported vacuum. a very good writeup was done in another thread about ported vs. full manifold vacuum advance. do a search on the topic, you'll find it.
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 09, 06:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbird View Post
What's your vacuum reading at an idle?.....Did you happen to change the metering rod springs when you changed the metering rods?.....I believe the stock springs are orange (5"Hg) but I'd have to look that up.....It sort of appears that something is going on with the idle circuit!

Also, did you try running your vacuum advance to the "full" vacuum port on the other side?
I didn't change the springs, they are the same that were with the carb when it came out of the box.

As far as checking the vacuum reading I haven't yet so I would have to figure out how to do that. I did go ahead and run the vacuum advance to the full port and it seems to react better but still seems rich.
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 09, 07:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron67 View Post
http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_...ers_manual.pdf

I assume you mean 1424 jets. .073 on the lean step with a .089 jet... that's pretty lean. but you are at 5800ft. the manual i linked to above gives some guidelines for high altitude operation.

What exactly are the problems you're having? does the car run and drive okay, you just have the smoke problem? tell us more about the driveability.

what color smoke? black smoke indicates excessively rich. if it's white or blue smoke the problem isn't the carb, you've got a coolant/oil leak on the right bank. turning in the idle screws all the way cuts off the fuel to the idle circuit and will stall the car when at idle.
Aaron,

I was referencing the part numbers I had from my ticket when I bought them. Just after I wrote this I was paying more attention to the color of the smoke and it appears to be mostly white smoke and with any "blip" of the throttle it is a ton, I am guessing that is coolant? I was thinking of trying a compression test in all cylinders on that bank to see what it reads, what is expected for a 350?

While driving I was getting a lot of sputtering and popping out of the exhaust.

Thanks,

John
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 09, 07:10 PM
Banned
Ron

I'm afraid to say that this is not a carburetor related problem as it would throw out black smoke out the exhaust!.....Pull your spark plugs out and check them for wetness!....Sorry to hear about this!
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 09, 07:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbird View Post
I'm afraid to say that this is not a carburetor related problem as it would throw out black smoke out the exhaust!.....Pull your spark plugs out and check them for wetness!....Sorry to hear about this!
I sure will, Like I said I am going to go ahead and do a compression test here in a few minutes. It will def be interesting! We will see what this test says.

Thanks!

John
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 09, 07:50 PM
Senior Tech
Tom

Talking Re: Edelbrock 1406 Problems 67 Camaro

I run the 1405 carb. which is the same except it was a manual choke. It is on a 327 and I had to lean it down. I can't remember which rods and jets that I have. I do run full vacuum - NOT ported. The mixture screws were set to achieve the most manifold vacuum. It still ran excessively rich and my clothes reeked of fuel. I got mad one day and turned each mixture screw in - one full turn from where it was. This should have made it excessively lean, but I was beyond caring at this point. Car now runs great and no more smell ! Your 2-3 lbs of fuel pressure sounds pretty low. I would try 5. I also had to lean down the secondary jets.

69 Camaro -originally a LM1 car. 327, Edelbrock E-streets, hooker, DUI performance distributors, ultradyne cam, stewart, TRW etc. Vintage Air, AGR steering, Corbeau GTSII seats, 700R4 transmission, 12-bolt w/Eaton 4.11:1
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 09, 08:37 PM Thread Starter

Ok well I did a compression test, I was expecting way worse but here is what I got :

7. 130. 8. 130
5. 125 6. 130
3. 130 4. 135
1. 125 2. 130
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 09, 08:42 PM
Senior Tech
Tom

Smile Re: Edelbrock 1406 Problems 67 Camaro

Compression looks fine for a low compression engine ! The biggest variance between the lowest cylinder and the highest is only about 8 %. Average compression of 129.4 PSI. Not even a 4 % variance from the average.

69 Camaro -originally a LM1 car. 327, Edelbrock E-streets, hooker, DUI performance distributors, ultradyne cam, stewart, TRW etc. Vintage Air, AGR steering, Corbeau GTSII seats, 700R4 transmission, 12-bolt w/Eaton 4.11:1
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 09, 08:51 PM Thread Starter

Thats what I was wondering, I deal alot with turbo motors such as my drag car (evo) but not a V8. What should the compression be on a everyday 350? 170ish?
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 09, 09:06 PM
Senior Tech
Tom

I am guessing 170 PSI would be normal for about a 8.5 to 9 : 1 compression engine. My 327 is 200 PSI and it is about 9.5 - 9.7 compression ratio. A lot depends on the amount of overlap your camshaft has, as it will "bleed off" compression.

post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 09, 09:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJS69 View Post
I am guessing 170 PSI would be normal for about a 8.5 to 9 : 1 compression engine. My 327 is 200 PSI and it is about 9.5 - 9.7 compression ratio. A lot depends on the amount of overlap your camshaft has, as it will "bleed off" compression.
Yeah that's what I was thinking. I know the cam is a 292 and I don't know much more about it. I am still puzzled on the smoke pouring out but I guess it's time to tear it out and have it re-worked?
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 09, 09:57 PM
Senior Tech
Tom

Not necessarily. In the 80's we were very happy to get 120 PSI. If your heads have 76cc chambers, you will never get any higher compression. Your numbers look ok for that !

I would change to full manifold vacuum for your distributor and retune ! Then see where you are at !

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode