L88 - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 09, 09:37 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Harv

L88

Question, my buddy insist that a L88 vett is a all aluimum 427 but from what I have found & read it is a iron block with aluimum heads any expert verication.I told him a 69 Camaro ZL1 is all aluimum & I read only two 69 vetts had the ZL1 motor.

Z10 Paceman
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 09, 09:46 PM
Senior Tech
Brian

Re: L88

The L88 was an iron block engine. The ZL1 was the aluminum version.

Experience...... It's what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 09, 11:21 AM
Senior Tech
Bill

The L-88 engine that I purchased NEW in 1971 was an all iron open chamber head version, that engine really had horsepower! I wish I had the engine today to put into something. However, the fuel use was terrible. I could watch the gas gauge drop in the 66 Chevelle SS when I drove it. Punch the accelerator at 60 MPH and the tires would instantly break loose and the car would go sideways. WOW!

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 09, 11:38 AM
Senior Tech
Dan

Smile Re: L88

Bill,I found a LS7 1972 Crate motor back in 2001.Found it in THE WANT AD PRESS. Anyway a guy in Hightstown NJ had it.Back then it was going into a 71 V8 Vega he was building back then.Never finished the project but kept the motor all these years.Never Used,unbelieveable LS7 time capsule. Couldn't get the money out of hands fast enough to pay him.Anyway motor still not ever used but at my friends house in Hunderton County NJ. Part number by the way is 3965774 "XCH".Cast iron heads not aluminum heads. XAA was LS6 crate motor. Dan
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 09, 03:27 PM
Senior Tech
Broc

what would a crate l88 motor from 1969, never used, still in the crate, be worth in today's market? jw?

1968 Camaro SS 350
--350, muncie 4spd, 12 bolt 3.31 (multi-leaf)

1967 Camaro (plain jane)
--350, muncie 4spd, 12 bolt 3.31 (mono-leaf)

1965 Chevelle Malibu SS 327
--327, powerglide, 12 bolt
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 09, 04:01 PM

I would say a pretty penny. But from my experience, it is whatever someone will pay you. I see 396, 454's motors rebuilt go for $2,000-3000 from the 60's and 70's. But then again, I have seen them go for $500. Like I said, it is worth whatever a person is willing to pay in the long run.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 09, 04:51 PM
Senior Tech
Bill

Dan,
Back in the day the Want Ad Press was a great way to buy and sell here in NJ. Too bad it turned into an advertisement tool for car dealers.

You need to find a period correct Chevelle and build a clone. Do you own and show a car? My wife and I regularly attend local shows with our cars. In the spring I will be showing my latest "toy" a V-8 Vega. I purchased the car a few years ago and drove it home from Flemington. The guy I purchased the car from bought it in the mid 70's. He put the V-8 in the chasis in 1980. He owned it for years and always kept it in his garage, it gets attention everywhere even with the current weak 262 engine. I am currently building an early Vette 327/365 horse for it, should be fun with the 4 speed. The car is real nostalgia from the early to mid 70's. This car is pure fun!
Bill
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 09, 05:22 PM
Senior Tech
Dan

Smile Re: L88

Bill,I agree THE WANT AD PRESS was like my Chevy Bible,lots of stuff I bought from there from 74 to 79!! My friend in Bridgewater NJ started the V8 thing too,I believe it was a 71 Vega and he bought the Don Hardy kit with the 12 bolt.Never finished but sometime in the early 80's I believe sold it.There was another oned owned by another friend of mine that was in Martinsville NJ.They called him The Mad Hatter.Any pictures of the Vega?? I love the 4speed ones. That crate motor probably will just keep sitting quietly,so unusual to find one untouched! I know another guy that has a 69 L88 Crate motor,but NO he won't sell it! Dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode