I vs H - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 09, 04:28 PM Thread Starter

I vs H

Debating I Beam vs H beam rods for my engine build up, any opinions either way?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 09, 09:35 PM
Senior Tech

Re: I vs H

the (H)design rods can be made slightly lighter in total weight for a given strength level, in the cheaper 4340 steel rods,than a similar (I) beam rod, but tends to cost slightly more, (notice I DIDN,T SAY STRONGER, but STRONGER FOR A GIVEN WEIGHT), the weak point is usually the connecting rod bolts not the rod forging itself, always go with the 7/16" ARP bolts and the BOLT upgrade is adviseable to L19 or better bolts once you start expecting to exceed 4000 feet per minute in piston speed, and its almost mandatory over 600hp and 4500 fpm in piston speed
the choice should probably be based on which design has better clearance too the cam lobes and block rails and the use of 7/16" arp bolts, and what kind of package deal you can get on an INTERNALLY BALLANCE CRANK, DESIGNED FOR THE RODS if your looking to build the better assembly.

http://www.scatcrankshafts.com/

http://www.oliverconnectingrods.com/products.html

Last edited by grumpyvette; Jan 19th, 09 at 09:51 PM.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 09, 05:58 AM Thread Starter

I'm not planning on running it down the strip a lot, maybe once every so often but it wont be it's daily life, granted I do have a heavy foot. I've been shopping on jegs and they offer kits from eagle that are rotating assemblies. the one specifically for my application if I want to keep it from being a stroker engine is around 900 dollars, i beam rods, 4340 steel, internally balanced. the other is a 383 kit balanced rotating assembly with h-beam rods and some upgraded parts. I'm not really wanting to make a stroker engine because I've heard they occasionally have failure issues and short life-spans, plus doing that raises my compression up to more in the 11:1 ratio instead of closer to 10. I am planning on adding a blower at some point, so I'm afraid to go too nuts. going to be using Cast iron parts aswell, old 350 block, and a cast iron vortec head. I'm really only looking for around 650 HP out of it with the blower, don't plan on N02 either. However the closer I get to 500 hp w/o the blower the less likely I will be to put one on.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 09, 09:16 AM
Senior Tech

ok, if your looking to supercharge the combo youll find a compression ratio closer to 7:1-8:1 will be far better, than 10:1,
if your looking to run N/A then 10:1 is much closer to ideal, the cams matching either application will differ a GREAT DEAL also between the totally differant applications if your going to maximize the results and FORGED pistons are a good idea if its supercharged

strokers are every bit as relieable as non- strokers when were debating between a 350 and a 383 sbc, its the components used and the care durring assembly rather than a simple 1/4" differance in stroke that will result in having a dependable and durable combo
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 09, 11:27 AM Thread Starter

I guess it's probably more than anything when i hear talk about 383 strokers it's usually in race applications too, so failure rates are probably a bit skewed.

As for the blower, cam, and compression that's what i'm waiting for on a parts combination to determine if I want to go that route. with the parts i have picked out i'm at approx. 9.76:1 compression with 3.45 stroke, with a 3.75 stroke i'm at around 10.6:1 with a -5cc piston and a 64cc combustion chamber. Due to my engine oil contamination the cylinder walls got cut out to 4.037 so they are going up to 4.040 and as long as I measured my deck height correct the compression ratios I have there should be close. I'm kinda picking parts to run w/o a blower for the fact that I really don't want to use one in all honesty, I don't want to cut a hole in my hood for one.

I'm also up in arms on the heads too, Cast Iron are available in 64cc from GM Performance, the ZZ4 Aluminum are 58 cc, raises compression about .75 to 1 switching to the ZZ4 design.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 09, 12:16 PM
Senior Tech

step #1 DECIDE what you want to build and make a detailed list of matched parts and list and add up prices , then decide on a budget and time frame.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode