69 camaro exhust system - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 09, 10:24 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

69 camaro exhust system

Hi I'm trying to figure out on a exhsust system for my 69 camaro. 1st. I don't know how agressive the sound should be. 2nd. Dual muffler or single muffler. Third is brand FLowmaster or???. This is not a race car or and everyday driver.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 09, 10:33 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Re: 69 camaro exhust system

The issue is going to be how much noise can you stand? I take my '68 on long trips, and really need it to be reasonably quiet (for a muscle car) so I don't lose what little hearing I've got left and can listen to the stereo. I went through 3 sets of mufflers before I settled on what's on there now - I think Dynomax Super Turbo Mufflers. That Flowmaster sound might sound nice for a cruise, but after a few hours it's just annoying.

Mike - '68 Camaro with lots of stuff done to it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 09, 11:08 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

A friend of mine with a Ford van had a muffler shop put on a "2-1/2 inch dual exhaust" with generic "turbo mufflers". It sounded GREAT but was not too loud.

So when my '68 (with '95 LT1) needed an exhaust I took it to a local muffler shop and got got the same. It sounds GREAT and is not too loud. And it was <$500.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 09, 04:53 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
BILL

Put it like this ..you represent the camaro world, it must sound like a camaro with a healthy mototr, duals is a must,flowmaters are nice, they give it a aggressive tone....you drive a 69 camaro by god make her sound like one and make the other non camaro people jealous!!!
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 09, 06:36 AM
Senior Tech
Frank

We sell and install a lot of Magnaflow. We run Maganflow on everything. You cannot beat the price for a stainless system, and it has a true Gentlemans Hot Rod sounds.

Here is the 2 1/2" system, 3" look just like it.

I recommend 2 1/2" up to 500HP., 3" over 500HP

Systems are in stock!

Here are 3 video clips. One is a litte 383 (prolly 500HP?) we built with a 3" Magnaflow X Pipe system, the other is the Back in Black car with a 450HP LS6 with a 2 1/2" Magnaflow X pipe system. The 3rd is Vegas69 650HP big block with 3" X Pipe and no tailpipes right now

I have the Back and Black car in my garage right now for some magazine photos shots. I was driving it yesterday and commented on how nice and mellow (but deep) the sound at cruise was. I am a stereo nut and really like comfortable cars. I cannot stand stupid loud exhaust.

Russ 67, 383 SBC / 500HP?, 3" Magnaflow X Pipe system, ($650 and free shipping)

Back in Black, LS6, 450HP, 2 1/2" magnaflow X Pipe system ($500 delivered)

And here is our customer Vegas69 Badd *** 650HP big Block with a 3" Magnaflow X Pipe system and dumps in front of the rear. Tailpipes will mute it a bit.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 09, 08:06 AM
Senior Tech

Do you have headers or cast iron manifolds? There are fewer choices for systems with stock manifolds vs. headers.

Big block or small block? Some systems sound better on one vs. the other.

Is it a coupe or a vert? Systems for verts are a little more challenging to spec out, and what sounds good in a car with a steel roof is different than that for an open top car.

Do you want the system to look correct? A correct looking system for a 69 would have the tailpipes exiting at the tailpan vs. the angled dump down behind the rear wheels for 67-68. There are also varying degrees of "correct". Some systems have tailpipes out the back, but the tips look nothing like 69 tips. Other systems look like 69 tips, but are larger diameter. Still other systems have tips that are as close to an original 69 as possible.

The best OE style system is from Gardner. They have sound clips on their website of the different systems they offer. http://www.gardnerexhaust.com/soundclips.html You can listen and see what an OE style system sounds like. Not ideal, since you can't hear them (soundclips) from the driver seat, but at least you can get an idea what the stock diameter, single transverse muffler style of exhaust sounds like. They also have clips of the chambered style exhaust.

Stainless Works makes some decent systems that are pretty close to stock, and cost less than Gardner. http://www.stainlessworks.net/cart/i...th=475_476_237 This is who I went with, and though I am not 100&#37; happy with it, is was a lot less than Gardner. I should have spent the extra money for Gardner... I wanted a stock sounding system with relatively correct looking tailpipes, and the only gripe I have was with the gyrations I had to go through with SW to get a system that fit my vert OK (they told me it would fit, and it didn't).

Lots of guys eith headers run the Flowmaster 17139 system; it has really nice looking tailpipes, but I can't stand the resonance of this system. Some like it, I don't particularly in a vert.

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

Magnaflow systems like Frank offered are nice and fairly popular. I didn't want two mufflers personally; I like the layout of a stock style transverse muffler, but that's me.

Pypes makes a few systems for our cars, but I couldn't stand the crooked muffler and tailpipes of their transverse system. Just a design flaw that may have been addressed by now.

Eric
69 'vert project big block/TKO 600 RR
68 'vert driver RS clone -- gone!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 09, 05:54 PM
Senior Tech
T

Sounds like he's got a 427 w/ headers from his other posts....

There will be a LOT of different opinions as to what sounds "right" or "good" -- you'll have to sort out what you like for yourself in terms of sound. If you're not going crazy racing, a 2.5" system is probably fine and is easier to package/route over the axle.

I originally picked up a Magnaflow 2.5" dual system for my '69 and it did indeed sound very good, but I wasn't happy with how the pipes exited at the rear of the car(they were kind of tilted inwards) or the fitment of the X-pipe with my thorley headers (thorleys tuck up VERY tight under the car and the X-pipe seemed like it was more set up for headers which hang a bit low, so it had some wonky angles). I ended up returning it. That said, the cost (for a stainless system), the sound, and everything else was quite nice.

I ended up going with the Flowmaster 17139 system BUT with Borla mofflers (brand new Flowmasters from the kit were sold on ebay). Flowmaster is definitely an agressive tone, but too loud/harsh for me. Lots of people love it though... Flowmaster system fit was very good and I love the sound with the Borlas and H-pipe. On the down-side, this setup cost about the same as the Magnaflow and flowmaster is only aluminized pipes.

Magnaflow also has a 2.5" single (transverse) muffler system (15895). I think the pipes exit a bit more "normal" (i.e. straight out) on this system and it might be one to consider.

I've heard good things about the fitment of the Pypes systems as well (they have a few different options), not sure what they sound like tho.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 09, 06:58 PM
Senior Tech
Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMessick View Post

I originally picked up a Magnaflow 2.5" dual system for my '69 and it did indeed sound very good, but I wasn't happy with how the pipes exited at the rear of the car(they were kind of tilted inwards) ......

Magnaflow also has a 2.5" single (transverse) muffler system (15895). I think the pipes exit a bit more "normal" (i.e. straight out) on this system and it might be one to consider......
Not really the transverse muffler system has the same tail pipe exit problems as the dual muffler system...but that is an easy fix with a set of these...

I am really pleased with my Magnaflow transverse set up (no worries about low hanging mufflers either)....

Z282NV

1969 Camaro
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 09, 10:29 AM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProdigyCustoms View Post
We sell and install a lot of Magnaflow. We run Maganflow on everything. You cannot beat the price for a stainless system, and it has a true Gentlemans Hot Rod sounds.

Here is the 2 1/2" system, 3" look just like it.

I recommend 2 1/2" up to 500HP., 3" over 500HP

Systems are in stock!

Here are 3 video clips. One is a litte 383 (prolly 500HP?) we built with a 3" Magnaflow X Pipe system, the other is the Back in Black car with a 450HP LS6 with a 2 1/2" Magnaflow X pipe system. The 3rd is Vegas69 650HP big block with 3" X Pipe and no tailpipes right now

I have the Back and Black car in my garage right now for some magazine photos shots. I was driving it yesterday and commented on how nice and mellow (but deep) the sound at cruise was. I am a stereo nut and really like comfortable cars. I cannot stand stupid loud exhaust.

Russ 67, 383 SBC / 500HP?, 3" Magnaflow X Pipe system, ($650 and free shipping)

Back in Black, LS6, 450HP, 2 1/2" magnaflow X Pipe system ($500 delivered)

And here is our customer Vegas69 Badd *** 650HP big Block with a 3" Magnaflow X Pipe system and dumps in front of the rear. Tailpipes will mute it a bit.
I went to you site to check out the Magnaflow mufflers but couldn't get anywhere. Right now I have Flowmaster 40's and they are just too loud!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 09, 10:48 AM

I have the american thunder 40 series kit (dynomax ceramic 1 5/8 and collector back 2 1/2") on my 10.5:1 327, and it isn't really that loud... I love the sound of the Flows when they're nice and broken in.

I guess it's all about personal opinion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode