Spark Plug Selection - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 09, 05:41 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Chris

Spark Plug Selection

As you may have read late last year i was going to change my heads on my 327 in my 69. I ended up getting a pretty sweet deal on a set of Performer RPM heads. The manual for these calls for a Champion spark plug RC-12YC, I prefer to use an AC Delco plug myself.

With these heads we calculated 9.5 CR, Im curious if this plug part number is a good start or if i should be looking at a different heat range to get started. I would like to get the right plugs the first time if possible,

If you need to know the cam/carb info i can post that to.

Hatya

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Daily Driver

327 9.6:1, Performer RPM Heads, 200R4, 3rd Gen P/S Box
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 09, 10:36 PM
Senior Tech
The Driver

Re: Spark Plug Selection

AC R44S is what I would run, IF you have 1969 dated heads. Around 1970-71 Chevy changed to Taper-seat plugs.

Champions: never!!!

If your heads take taper-seat, then use AC R44TS.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 09, 10:58 AM
Banned
Ron

You can't go wrong if you use the gasketed spark plug that Edelbrock recommends which in your case would be the Champion RC-12YC....They would be the correct heat range for your application....This is what I done when I was running a pair of these heads on a BBC, they burned clean and I never had a spark plug fouling problem!

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 09, 03:00 PM

Stupid as this sound's, I personally like Autolites!

It's as tho way back then when I worried about stuff like this, they were a schosh warmer or colder then AC's or Champions.

pdq67

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 09, 04:17 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdq67 View Post
Stupid as this sound's, I personally like Autolites!

It's as tho way back then when I worried about stuff like this, they were a schosh warmer or colder then AC's or Champions.

pdq67
I like Autolites also, Might look at a 4275 Autolite. I never had problems keeping them clean.

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 09, 07:29 AM
Senior Tech
Charlie

I run the E3 Diamond Fires. They are the ONLY plug I have run that actually do what they say. More power, easier starts and better idle. I swapped out my R44ts for the E3's and immediately felt an increase in power and idle quality and easier starts.

Charlie Knudsen 67 Camaro RS/SS 350 TKO 600, 4.10's, AFR 195 Street Heads, Comp 270H, Rhoads Lifters, Crane Ignition, Pertronix Dizzy, Performer RPM Q-Jet, Heavily Modified Q-Jet, Hooker Comp Headers, MagnaFlow 2 1/2", 144 Decibles(Alpine CDA-7998 Head Unit, RF X7 and RF 750X Amps, MB Quart Mid's & High's, Kicker L7 12" Solo Barics)
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 09, 12:01 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Chris

Thanks Charlie, i may switch to them at some point.

Hatya

Daily Driver

327 9.6:1, Performer RPM Heads, 200R4, 3rd Gen P/S Box
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 09, 10:46 AM
Tech Team
Ralph

[quote=zdld17;1145790]I like Autolites also, Might look at a 4275 Autolite. I never had problems keeping them clean.[/quote

Last edited by loveoldchevys; Jan 31st, 09 at 11:10 AM.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 09, 11:13 AM
Tech Team
Ralph

I am looking for a better spark plug, I have a 68 Camaro RS, 327 / 275 with a small cam, Holley intake , Holley 750 Daul line carb and still using points in the Dist. Would you recommond the Autolite 4275 spark plug for this engine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode