What would it take to build a 600hp NA, SB? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 09, 11:57 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Marc

What would it take to build a 600hp NA, SB?

Pump gas, street engine. What combos are you guys running?

1968 Camaro Convertible ,350 TWIN TURBO , PTC 3000 stall, Hotchkis TVS kit / Subframe connectors, Caltracs, 9" rear, Street Star wheels (P275/40ZR17 / P235/45/17) , Electric cutouts. [B] .....FOR SALE.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 09, 12:29 PM
Senior Tech
Jason

Re: What would it take to build a 600hp NA, SB?

i had my 350 stroked to 383 w/ forged rods and crank. fully ported and polished camel hump heads, valve replaced with ss 202, 196 exh. barely pushing 500hp with pump gas. to get the other hundred maybe a blower or turbos. I am interested on what everyone else has to say since I would love more horsepower. (my heads and block are 1968 non#'s but correct year)

Jason

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 09, 12:42 PM
Senior Tech
Chad

$s and cubic inches.

67 Plum Mist Met. 408 TH350 3.08 posi
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 09, 01:25 PM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhorn View Post
i had my 350 stroked to 383 w/ forged rods and crank. fully ported and polished camel hump heads, valve replaced with ss 202, 196 exh. barely pushing 500hp with pump gas. to get the other hundred maybe a blower or turbos. I am interested on what everyone else has to say since I would love more horsepower. (my heads and block are 1968 non#'s but correct year)
Are you saying you have a 2.02" intake valve and a 1.96" exhaust valve in a SBC head?

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM ...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
Semper Fi! L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft, B Co 3rd AT's, Khe Sanh Combat Base, February, 1968
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 09, 08:14 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Harley

Send a message via Yahoo to wiskeesour

421CI, 2.08/1.6 heads 62cc chambers, WICKED bullet cam and lots of compression was over 600hp if I remember correctly....

AE2(AW) Harley Moody, USNavy
"Master-at-Arms" for the CDWJB!!
November 26th, 2008 was my last day to serve my country as a member of the World's Greatest Navy.
Thanks Chief.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 09, 09:08 PM
Senior Tech
Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by onovakind67 View Post
Are you saying you have a 2.02" intake valve and a 1.96" exhaust valve in a SBC head?
Yes and no, They are 2.02 intake and 1.60 exh. 1968 corvette camel hump heads (factory 300hp fuelie heads) the heads had to be machined and per machinist cut for larger valves

Jason

post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 09, 12:22 AM
Senior Tech

if your looking to build 600 hp n/a fuelie heads are one of the last parts ID consider useing, the current 18 degree heads would be far more likely to get you to 600hp, but you might find this interesting, but read closely your not just going to slap those heads on a nearly stock 350 shortblock add a cam and go race!

http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/te...ine/index.html
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 09, 05:00 PM

Onna the guys has a 454 Aluminum SB on onna the Boards that I think is pushing 600 hp.

Do search's on both T/C's and MadMike's great SGCOG site, "NastyZ28".

pdq67

post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 09, 06:09 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

600 hp on pump, about 15-20k, and better have chassis, suspension to handle,
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 09, 09:53 PM
Senior Tech
Harley D

It would be easier and more reliable to supercharge or put a turbo on to hit that HP level than to try it NA. Not saying it can't be done, but just how streetable it will be in the end is another story. And are we talking rwhp or at the crank? I'm about 550 at the crank VERY streetable. But if your talking 600 rwhp on pump gas, I don't know long hauls I'd plan.

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."-Dr. Seuss
We learn life's important lessons in kindergarten.

Harley D
'67 coupe 427SBC
60'1.728
1/[email protected]

post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 09, 11:34 PM
Senior Tech
Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpyvette View Post
if your looking to build 600 hp n/a fuelie heads are one of the last parts ID consider useing, the current 18 degree heads would be far more likely to get you to 600hp, but you might find this interesting, but read closely your not just going to slap those heads on a nearly stock 350 shortblock add a cam and go race!

http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/te...ine/index.html
fuelie heads used to be the thing Maybe not for 600hp, seems now that the cost of aluminum heads have come down and no one likes cast iron anymore. Is there that much diffrence in fuelie heads that have been ported / polished with larger valves, push rod retainers and screw in studs than aluminum.

my opinion cast iron are more durable.

Jason

post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 09, 05:35 AM
Senior Tech
Gary

Cubic inches and rectangular dollars if you're sticking with Gen 1 stuff.
Stroke a 6.2L block to make a 427, outta the box L92 heads and a decent cam will get you over 600hp with an LS family engine, it'll be a lot cheaper than the Gen 1, too.

Gary Adrian
FCS Harmony Racing

Momma always told me not to look into the eyes of the sun.
"But momma, that's where the fun is!"
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 09, 05:51 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
BILL

Quote:
Originally Posted by john68 View Post
600 hp on pump, about 15-20k, and better have chassis, suspension to handle,
its not that much that you have to build a car around the motor!! i dumped a 675 horse motor in a all stock suspension camaro and had fun...i wouldnt want to keep it stock forever though!!
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 09, 04:32 PM
Senior Tech
Jim

Building an affordable 600 hp "pump gas" combo will be extremely difficult if you mean 93 octane. Good thing the pumps around here offer 110 octane. That makes it easy.

Good luck.

Jim

Then: N/A, 436 ci, Stock Block, Track 1's, Stock Suspension, Ranchos, 3250 lbs... 1.33 60 ft / 9.69 @ 138 mph
Now: Boost...
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 09, 06:46 PM

Please hunt up Rick WI over on NastyZ28 b/c he's the guy w/ the 600+ hp all aluminum 454 SB.

pdq67

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode