why do I need alternator spacer for water pump on 69 ss 350 - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 09, 06:15 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Doug

why do I need alternator spacer for water pump on 69 ss 350

Hey all. Have been looking at many pictures of different 69 SS 350 cars and noticed on some ( like my set up) there is a small spacer between the upper alternator bracket and the water pump. The upper bracket also mounts to the thermostat housing.

I have also seen pictures where there is no spacer used. I assume the no spacer is the correct way. My water pump is not original. It is a GM pump but more modern. Does anyone make a repo that is correct for my 69 Camaro SS.
Can someone please offer some info on the water pumps.
Thanks guys.
-Doug
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 09, 06:22 PM
Senior Tech
Mark

Re: why do I need alternator spacer for water pump on 69 ss 350

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Super Sport View Post
Hey all. Have been looking at many pictures of different 69 SS 350 cars and noticed on some ( like my set up) there is a small spacer between the upper alternator bracket and the water pump. The upper bracket also mounts to the thermostat housing.

I have also seen pictures where there is no spacer used. I assume the no spacer is the correct way. My water pump is not original. It is a GM pump but more modern. Does anyone make a repo that is correct for my 69 Camaro SS.
Can someone please offer some info on the water pumps.
Thanks guys.
-Doug
There are lots of different water pump styles used over the years, a few different top alternator brackets, and some aftermarket aluminum intakes have the hole for the rear of the alternator bracket in the wrong location. All of these variables can make for some "interesting" modification being needed to get everything to line up.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 09, 06:31 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Doug

Thanks Mark. Has the stock cast iron intake manifold and the stock upper alternator bracket.
-Doug

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 09, 09:41 PM
Senior Tech
Tom

Smile Re: why do I need alternator spacer for water pump on 69 ss 350

Is this the spacer you are referring too ?

69 Camaro -originally a LM1 car. 327, Edelbrock E-streets, hooker, DUI performance distributors, ultradyne cam, stewart, TRW etc. Vintage Air, AGR steering, Corbeau GTSII seats, 700R4 transmission, 12-bolt w/Eaton 4.11:1
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 09, 10:06 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Some brackets, where bolts to inlet manfold have sloted holes...I think the factory is??
My factory is stored way, right down the bottom, so forgive me for not checking
My aftermarket chome one is slotted.
The one before I cracked after about a yr, it wasnt slotted and I didnt use a spacer.

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 09, 10:24 PM
Senior Tech
Dave

Send a message via AIM to RamAirDave

The new/GM/reman water pumps are kind of a one-size-fits-all, and come with that spacer for applications when needed.

Driving a #s-matching Z in the rain..... and lovin' it....
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 09, 02:14 AM
Senior Tech

the long water pump came out in 68 in some cars, and 69 in everything but trucks. it was a nice and clean setup that is easy to work with.
they changed the upper alt mount for 76 for reasons only known to the GM engineers, and i think they also changed the PS pump mounting boss at that same time so they could use the overly complex mounting setup with 3 bolts to hold belt tension- one of which is behind the pump and almost impossible to get at.
then sometime in the early 80's they changed things again, and when they started using reverse rotation pumps in serpentine setups, they got rid of the alt and PS mounting bosses altogether, and some cars and trucks even got rid of the threaded hole for the heater hose.

if you go to NAPA or any decent parts store locally, you can get the correct pump for your year for about $40, and then hopefully you have the correct upper alt bracket to go with it. or you could just go find a later model upper alt bracket in the junkyard for a few bucks if you really want to get rid of that spacer.

you don't plan sincerity.
you have to make it up on the spot.

wanna hear about 20 years ago when i was too smart to know any better?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 09, 07:12 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Doug

Thanks guys. I may see if i can track down an original 69 pump and see if it can be rebuilt. I appreciate your help.
-Doug
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode