Would this fuel injection unit be any good?? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 09, 07:43 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Travis

Would this fuel injection unit be any good??

My friends.. Dads friend asked him to sell this setup for him. He is a older guy and didnt really know much about it. I took some pics and thought I would ask what you all thought about this unit.
The intake says holley on it , the computer is not from holley, I called and asked them. The injectors are bosch 24#. I called the company whos name is on the ECM and they said they didnt burn chips for that unit anymore, they do all LSX stuff now. This is in really nice shape, but is it outdated? I can probably buy it cheap enough and wouldnt even know what to offer for it??

I wondered if it would be any good to run on my 406 in my 67 camaro?

Thanks!

Travis

67 L78
67 Vert

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 09, 07:50 PM
Senior Tech
Paul

Re: Would this fuel injection unit be any good??

I don't have a clue about Speartech, but...you could buy a Holley ECU and harness to drive that stuff.

Best of 1.55 - [email protected]
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 09, 06:08 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Travis

The guy from speartech said I could do it myself with a laptop, I know absolutly nothing about that! Im pretty sure that the 24# injectors wont be big enough for 450-500 hp. based on what I have read last night?? and if I want to go E85 fuel they will have to be even bigger? So when it comes to reworking/burning a chip for this thing Im lost.

I just dont want to spend good money on this and it bleed me dry trying to get it to work.

Travis

67 L78
67 Vert

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 09, 07:33 AM
Senior Tech
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackl78 View Post
I just dont want to spend good money on this and it bleed me dry trying to get it to work.
Ummm, how long have you been "into" camaros? That is an unattainable goal my friend, LOL!

If you can program the thing yourself, cool but support is the key issue as there is always a learning curve when swapping to EFI. Yes, you'll need bigger injectors...30lb injectors helped propel my car to 11.90's. If you can use everything there the biggest hurdle will be getting fuel to it. You can find deals on EFI stuff, I just bought a set of used 42 lb injectors for $100. I saw a recent Ebay auction for a Holley MPFI setup bid to a little over $500 to kind of compare to what that system's worth.

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 09, 07:42 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Travis

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulm View Post
Ummm, how long have you been "into" camaros? That is an unattainable goal my friend, LOL!
Been messing with these cars for 26 years, How right you are!!

That helps a lot, I dont know where and how I would get any support on this?? Speartech allready said they arent doing these anymore. I dont want to buy a new ECM and harness...Im sure thats expensive. I would like to try FI because I think it would be better with E85 if I were to try and run it.
Thanks!

Travis

67 L78
67 Vert

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 09, 08:11 AM
Senior Tech
Paul

I would pass unless you can get it dirt cheap...Keep your eyes out for a programmable/supported setup like Holley, Edelbrock or whatever. Times are tough right now and deals can be found!

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 09, 11:32 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Fred

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulm View Post
Last time I did a mental total (the calculator hadn't been invented) the cash in my car (for everything, insurance too) was at about $35K. That was in 1972 I think.

One owner 69 Camaro,(yep, bought it new
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
RS SS Hugger Orange, L88, 4:10's tru-tack posi, ducted hood, Endura, spoilers.
TH400 (CX) with Coan 8" converter, GV-OD, 8 track still on console and best et 10.495,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
128.79mph 1.428 60'
All with 1960's stuff. (except tires and converter)
+ MT Super Scavenger headers & 3" full exhaust with X pipe. 3700 lbs. with me in it.
1000cfm AED and HD Harold-Lunati SR, 725 lift with shaft rockers too.

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 09, 05:04 PM

Please consider doing this.

Buy it worth a good FAIR price and then contact somebody like Force Fuel Injection to see what they would charge you to set it up for you in again, for a FAIR price.

http://force-efi.com/

And please stress a FAIR PRICE in a nice manner so that they will know that you will drop them like a used rubber if you think they are bending you over!!

And I would have to do this myself IF I ever graduate from "Old-School"!!!

Inglese may be another place too!

pdq67

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 09, 05:41 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Travis

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdq67 View Post
Please consider doing this.

Buy it worth a good FAIR price and then contact somebody like Force Fuel Injection to see what they would charge you to set it up for you in again, for a FAIR price.

http://force-efi.com/

And please stress a FAIR PRICE in a nice manner so that they will know that you will drop them like a used rubber if you think they are bending you over!!

And I would have to do this myself IF I ever graduate from "Old-School"!!!

Inglese may be another place too!

pdq67
OK.... What do you think a FAIR price is to offer for this setup??

What do you think I will have invested by the time its all said and done?

Travis

67 L78
67 Vert

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 09, 05:48 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Is that intake for Pre-86 heads or 87-and later ???
Those center holes look a little 'verticle' for pre-86...

You can always go with a "MegaSquirt" system if you want to DIY and save a ton - MegaSquirt - http://www.megamanual.com/index.html

(edit) Here's a link to good info w/software links - http://home.earthlink.net/~dvgreimann/holleyefi.html

1968 Convertible
Some trucks

Other V8 things - some of which float

Other V6 things - none of which float

Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!

Last edited by Vintage 68; Jan 27th, 09 at 06:29 PM. Reason: added software link
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 09, 06:01 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Travis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage 68 View Post
Is that intake for Pre-86 heads or 87-and later ???
Those center holes look a little 'verticle' for pre-86...
I think it is setup for both. I did look for that and the way its drilled looks like you could use it on either one.

Travis

67 L78
67 Vert

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 09, 07:07 PM
Bill

Travis,
How "cheap" can you get it for ?? I figure the intake isworth at least $100, Same for the throttle body/air valve. Injector rails ? Distributor probably $50 ?

A similar entire system from Holley is $2500 so if you can get it cheap, you will still be way ahead of the game even if you have to buy a ecu and injectors.

By the way, almost any decent system will have to be programmed with a laptop for final tuning in your car. If you dont feel comfortable with learning that, then maybe sticking with a carb is best.

Bill Koustenis
Owner
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md
1971 Chevelle "Heavy Chevy" original owner

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 09, 07:16 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Travis

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillK View Post
Travis,
How "cheap" can you get it for ?? I figure the intake isworth at least $100, Same for the throttle body/air valve. Injector rails ? Distributor probably $50 ?

A similar entire system from Holley is $2500 so if you can get it cheap, you will still be way ahead of the game even if you have to buy a ecu and injectors.

By the way, almost any decent system will have to be programmed with a laptop for final tuning in your car. If you dont feel comfortable with learning that, then maybe sticking with a carb is best.
I have no idea yet what I can get it for, I kinda wanted to know what you guys thought it was worth first and then go there with cash--- listen to the asking price--- Then if its less I have the cash in hand and ifts more pull all the cash out and say "this is what I have to offer"

My son has a fairly new laptop and is pretty good with computers, I can follow instructions pretty well.. I think I would try the tunning for sure without much intimadation.

Travis

67 L78
67 Vert

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 09, 07:23 PM
Banned
Ron

Travis.....I think $500 would be a fair offer!
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 09, 07:37 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Travis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbird View Post
Travis.....I think $500 would be a fair offer!
OK, Thanks Ron thats what Im looking for.... That gives me a starting point.

Did you get my email?

Travis

67 L78
67 Vert

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode