Time for a new block!!! - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 09, 07:56 PM Thread Starter

Time for a new block!!!

driving home the other week and I heard a tic-tic-tic coming from the radio. I thought...hmmm I don't remember that part of the song so I turned down the radio and realized it was coming from under the hood. YIKES!!! stopped and listened under the hood..well I think I can limp it home 1/4 mile or so. Got back on the road whent to stoplights and bump, pfffff....steam from out the exhaust and car dies. luckily I had enough momentum to get it off the highway and into Taco bell parking lot. Well.. I have never been past the intake on a motor before so I was excited and nosiated at the same time thinking hmmm... Well, now is the time to get my feet wet with this whole motor pulling thing. Luckily my father-in-law is an old gear head and was able to borrow an engine crane and flywheel wrench to make this operation practical. Engine came out pretty @amn easy and now its up on the engine stand. I'm currently tearing her down and having a pretty fun time learning how this thing comes apart. think the block is toast so I'm gonna have to get a new core and rebuild something but am debating what to use as a base. Would like to go BB but not sure about swapping out motor mounts,heater box, and what ever else needs to be swapped out. Its a 67 with a 350 automatic. Can somebody list what I need to swap to fit a BB. Also concerned with effect a BB will have on this car. I've heard about rippiling the fenders do to torque as well as other deformation problems. Thinking maybe a SB 400 would be the way to go but are they built more for low end torque or can you really build on those? Originally wanted a 383 but people tell me they are more for off roading because of the low-end torque. I just wanna build something stout and is fun on the street. Not looking to run times or drag race, but somethin impressive for sure. This will be my first build. Probobally will have a shop install the bottom end and then I will do the top end,cam,intake,heads and such myself. Crate motors are great but would be much more proud of something I have tinkered with.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 09, 04:46 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Re: Time for a new block!!!

There are a number of engine combos in the aftermarket retail world you could install in place of the hole in the engine bay.

If you're learning while going, I'd stick another SBC back into place as it would lessen the amount of off duty time from the car. Do a search to gain info on what CID, pros & cons of engines offered. You can start anywhere and up up with something - buy a block and outfit it, buy a short block and your set of heads and intake, or buy a long block, the combos are endless. Changing to a BBC is okay, but ther is a lot of changeout to fit it in. Not saying it can't be done, but rather time consuming and costly. Again, the reason I suggest another SBC as everything will unbolt from the old and bolt on to the new. Besides, there is a good crowd here in believing a SBC can whip a BBC's butt - just reavch in the glovebox and pull out the can of "Whoop ***" - sorry, I digress.

Beware though, the more assembled combo, the better the warranty.

For the street, a 400 to 406 or 412 is a good combo. Any internally balanced CID, up to 383/385 is good also. Both will show simular results. Your choice, how deep are your pockets?

Now with alittle power being generated, does the trans need updating?

As you can see, the Snowball Effect is beginning........remember the deep pockets?

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 09, 04:48 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
BILL

Nothing wrong with a 383, and its not for off roading, its all in the build, i got one and i love it!!

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 09, 06:26 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jeff

Send a message via Yahoo to yellow69RS

I had a 400 SBC in a 74 El Camino. Previous owner said it had a RV cam in, gobs of low end torque, I think I coulda pulled a freight train with it. Torque is fun to have on the street.

Jeff
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 09, 09:40 AM
Senior Tech

I would find out what is wrong with your engine first. Could be a head gasket or something little. It would save you money by rebuilding what you have. If it does have head problems, aftermarket heads can be had for cheaper than rebuild costs. I also would stick with the smallblock for the reasons mentioned. There are tons of 350's around for little money. The 400's are getting harder to find plus you will need to remember to drill the steam holes. If your crank is good, reuse it. If it is toast, then you could look into stroker kits.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 09, 04:27 PM

I made the mistake of swapping my 327 for a 454 years ago. I've since switched back to the sbc. Heaterbox, headers, steering, motormounts, transmission, suspension, blah, blah, blah...

Build up a nice (big) strong sbc and you'll be happy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode