406 top end combo thoughts... - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 09, 09:52 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Chris

406 top end combo thoughts...

Hi Guys,

Just getting ready to prep and assemble the 406 short block finally and wanted to get some thoughts on my top end combo. Car is planned as a mild street/pro touring setup to have fun with. It may not see the strip any more than a few times a year. The goal was 450 HP/Ft lbs.
(block zero decked w/-20cc Dished Pistons 10.2 compression KB 147)

Here is what I'm working with up top:
Pro Topline Aluminum heads 2.02/1.60 64cc/210cc
Cam- Hydraulic .498 int/.504 exh. 108 LSA @TDC 227int./233exh @.050
Edelbrock RPM Airgap Intake
Holley 750 Vacuum Secondary Carb

What do you guys think? Thanks for the input!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 09, 09:59 PM
Senior Tech
AJ

Re: 406 top end combo thoughts...

Could you afford to spend a little extra $ and go with a roller cam?

A friend has a set of ptl heads on a blown 385 stroker in a 55' Chevy show car with a lenco and it runs really well.
I was really surprised that a pretty cheap set of aluminum heads out of the box would do that well, even though it is blown.

Your dcr is right on with that cam, too many people throw in the biggest bump stick they can get their hands on these days. Not the way to build a efficient engine.

The only Mustang I'd ever own is a Fender.

'68 333" Camaro
'14 5.0 Mustang
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 09, 10:02 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Chris

I've been playing around with the idea of the 292 thumpr by comp cams, but after reading the threads on the thumpr series on here, I am unsure. Any suggestions on the roller? Thanks again!

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 09, 10:03 PM
Senior Tech
Andy

Send a message via AIM to 67SS&99SS

210 is a big intake runner size to run such a small cam. your leaving a lot on the table. as previously suggested, a roller cam would definately benefit you and would take full advantage of those heads.

1967 Camaro SS: 406 sbc, 522hp/514 ft lbs, Doug's 1 3/4" headers, M20, posi, 3.73's, vintage air gen IV, IROC steering box, Comp Eng. weld-in sfc's & traction bars, chrome US Mags

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 09, 10:05 PM
Senior Tech
AJ

Yeah I highly urge you NOT to go with a thumper.
That cam will outperform and out sound a thumper, especially on the 108 lsa.

I suggested a roller for longevity, efficiency, lower maintenance, less friction, lobe design, and if you compare a roller motor to a non roller in revving you will find the roller revs much quicker. I think my stock 97' truck will free rev faster than my hopped up camaro. I'm not a redneck that free revs all the time, I heard someone explain it to me and tried it.

Anyways, I'd suggest a roller with similar spec to what you have now though rollers are not very similar in grind compared to flat tappet cams.

I think Andy is onto something, if your piston to valve clearance allows you would benefit from more lift. .550-.580?

The only Mustang I'd ever own is a Fender.

'68 333" Camaro
'14 5.0 Mustang
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 09, 04:41 AM
Banned
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Willyz View Post
Hi Guys,

Just getting ready to prep and assemble the 406 short block finally and wanted to get some thoughts on my top end combo. Car is planned as a mild street/pro touring setup to have fun with. It may not see the strip any more than a few times a year. The goal was 450 HP/Ft lbs.
(block zero decked w/-20cc Dished Pistons 10.2 compression KB 147)

Here is what I'm working with up top:
Pro Topline Aluminum heads 2.02/1.60 64cc/210cc
Cam- Hydraulic .498 int/.504 exh. 108 LSA @TDC 227int./233exh @.050
Edelbrock RPM Airgap Intake
Holley 750 Vacuum Secondary Carb

What do you guys think? Thanks for the input!!
Look at my top end. 472 HP @ 5800, 495# @ 4400
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 09, 04:53 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
BILL

Your ideas are not to bad..of course you can go bigger!! I have those dart pro 1 alum heads..on a 383 with a bigger cam and bigger runners and i love it..
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 09, 06:34 AM
Senior Tech
Chad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Willyz View Post
Car is planned as a mild street/pro touring setup to have fun with. It may not see the strip any more than a few times a year.
For what your use of the car is going to be you have a good combo picked out.Yes you are leaving some HP on the table but EVERYBODY is.I don't care what your combo is their is always more power there its what you are satisfied with that matters.If you want max HP get a set of GM 18 degree heads run a solid roller cam around .700 lift and 260 to 280 duration @.050 and you can make around 800 hp. at 7500 to 8500 rpms.The used Nascar head and intake combos are usually around $2500.00.

67 Plum Mist Met. 408 TH350 3.08 posi
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 09, 04:29 PM
Senior Tech
Jim

You should make 450 hp no problem.

Consider the Comp Cams 294S. Excellent for the application.

Good luck.

Jim

Then: N/A, 436 ci, Stock Block, Track 1's, Stock Suspension, Ranchos, 3250 lbs... 1.33 60 ft / 9.69 @ 138 mph
Now: Boost...
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 09, 10:05 PM
Senior Tech
Wes

Biggish heads and smallish cam works great. Misery is big cam, small heads.

The only thing I'd do differently is run a single pattern cam (assuming you'e running headers and a thought out exhaust system). More here:

https://www.camaros.net/forums/showth...e+dual+pattern

Also, I'm in the minority, but I'm not a huge fan of VS Holleys. I'd go with a 750 DP, especially if you're runnng a stick or some stall.

Lastly, a stock fuel pump will be at it's limits. You might look at the Carter Street Pump (if mechanical). Same with your radiator.

Sounds like a fun mill. Good luck!
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 09, 10:20 AM

I would go bigger on the cam-I run a hyd roller on a 383 that's bigger on a daily driver-If you go roller a CCxr288hr or equivalent is where I'd start.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 09, 10:28 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Harry

your best bet is if your gonna change cam is to call the cam company and give them all the peticulars.
you can listen to all the combos that people are using and i guarantee you you wont get the same performance out of the same cam.
if you need vacum for brakes etc. is also a big deciding factor.
and lobe seperation will play a big part in that.
go too low and car will be less than streetable.
Ive learned the hard way and ended up swapping cams twice cuz one guy said it worked great in his car. ( same make etc.)

434 stroker
US Navy retired

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 09, 08:46 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Chris

Thanks for all the input. I can't say enough about how cool a resource this is. Being able to share ideas and bounce information off fellow gearheads is priceless! I think I will get this beast running with the gear I have. It sounds as if i am in the ballpark on getting to 450 hp....and leave the possibility of serious horsepower via roller cam/victor jr/hp series carb somewhere down the line. I will post some pics once i get the motor together. Cheers!

Last edited by Big Willyz; Jan 29th, 09 at 08:46 PM. Reason: typos
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode